Agnostic.com

15 5

Boot camp

Everyone that is in the military goes through basic training. If the president is the leader of the military. Why are they not required to go through boot camp? The same goes for the congress if they are allowed to determine our fate why are they not required to have military training? They both can declare war or send the military on a mission. The high ranking officials that lead the military were not just appointed they started off in boot camp or ROTC worked their way up and earned their positions.

azzow2 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would actually recommend the opposite: civilian leaders without military service. Civilian leaders seek all means to end a conflict, while our generals seek all means to win a war. That’s the reason why civilian oversight and control is important. And that’s why war monger politicians like Senator Graham are the most dangerous.

If the you’re simply referring to the isolated costs of war, I agree that’s an issue. I recommend reading War is a Racket. Sadly, War has been a Racket since WW1.

Marz Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

That's the point..the wealthy and powerful start wars, and the poor and powerless die fighting them.

A lot of them would not make it through basic training.

A lot more wouldn't make it through basic life. I often wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning.

I was stationed in Fulda, W. Germany (then) 1/11 Armored Cavalry Regiment which is about 5 km from the East-West border in 1983-84. We were almost sitting on top of a 25kt nuclear landmine, Pershing II missiles all over, radar showing launch warnings that turned out to be a flock of birds, a massive armored force across the border from us. We had deployment emplacements assigned to us, each of us had made small white wooden crosses and placed them at these emplacements because we knew we were going to die if war broke out. There was no if or maybe, we were dead. It's hard for a 19 year old to wrap his head around his own mortality. We were young, we were bullet proof, we were immortal or so we thought because at 18 or 19 who thinks about their own death? At that time I began to dislike our government, some fat guy (who the most he ever felt in danger was when he saw a mouse) ran to a bunker and decided I and our entire Regiment needed to die for an ideaology.
Yeah, they need to have their lives put in danger to experience what it feels like. If you have doubts about my story then check out OP Alpha and the military history at that time. I think we were closer to war then than the cuban missle crisis.
I am a proud member of The Border Legion and forever a Cav Trooper, Allons!!

TFYS and courage to lead the way. So many of theses stories need more attention.

Old men send young men to die while they stay safe. there is something very wrong with that. they should lead by example.

Not everyone that is capable of running a country is capable of going through boot camp (President Franklin Roosevelt for instance). And then again, not everyone is capable of running a country no matter what the requirements are.

He can't walk the length of a golf course, you want him to run an obstacle course? He'd drown trying to belly crawl thru the mud.

Can you see Sanders where's my defibrillator Clinton there has to be a chit for that this is not humanly possible . lol

I like the idea of him drowning

sounds like a great idea @MrPKitty

otherwise everyone in congress will have been indoctrinated by the god fearing army. we need a few leaders who have not !!

A god fearing Army? Where is that? No true Soldier ever hopes for war, only the stupid do.

What does your Constituion say in regard to the requirements to be president? Does it say that a person has to have served in the military? Do you want your congressman to sponser a bill to amend the Constitution?

The Constitution has been amended in the past, why not conform now?

@azzow2 Go ahead...get your congressman to introduce a bill calling for an Amendment to make it mandatory that a presidential candidate has to have served. All it takes is a 2/3 majority vote of the states to amend the Constitution.

@dahermit Would be insane they all have hope of being the commander and chief.

No DD-214, Not getting My Vote. MY Vote, My Requirement. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Am a veteran as well TFYS

@azzow2 Thank You for yours too.

@GipsyOfNewSpain -- @azzow2 -- Since we're starting up a mutual admiration society here, thank you both for your service.

Now, to the critical comment: Since we all know what the training and service teaches beyond discipline, I think a special basic should be established for potential political leaders that concentrates on the discipline, camaraderie, and unit cohesiveness/interdependence side of basic. You know, without the weapons and blow 'em up training. Sort of like rigorous Boy Scout training. They should also be exposed first hand to the results of military actions and the destruction wrought by real weapons in real service. Like, put them on the line in Afghanistan (I'm sure that one will still be going in 2020) and let them stay there for three months so they can adjust their attitudes. If they survive, their discipline, training, and exposure will then qualify them to run for office.

Am I being too harsh here?

We have had several presidents with actual combat experience and more with some sort of actual service. Take a look at the list, remember how each of them performed in office, then tell me again how anything other than the discipline and brotherhood would help in the office of POTUS.

[en.wikipedia.org]

@evidentialist The most positive thing that could possibly happen is the personal in the military would gain some respect of who is leading them.

@azzow2 -- That's a point.

I think you're right. Of course that would not happen, esp with our current..people

If not boot camp, perhaps they need to visit a war zone and sit with those who are on the front line where they have been placed in danger by executive decision--then visit the families that are torn apart because they have a son or daughter or husband or wife that is in said danger. Live with each of themfor a week or more and experience the life, as it contrasts with the cushy lifestyle of a career politician who has no clue what the average citizen experiences, much less what military (and Police and Fire Department) families have to live, every day.

I thought boot camp was for computer nerds (like myself).

godef Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

No DOS involved.

@azzow2 What about Linux? 😀 To me, Microsoft is kind of like Christianity (and Apple isn't any better). It is a forced way of doing things a certain way and a "tithe" you have to pay as part of the cost of a new computer that comes with an operating system, that I then replace with free, open-source, open-minded software that performs better. Sorry. [Steps down from his computer nerd soapbox]

@Meep70 There is another option Linux operating system. Even the nerd word knows there has to be other choices.

That would be "RE-boot" camp. LOL!

If Microsoft is Christianity does that make BSOD hell?

@Meep70 I do not have the math skills to do it. I do however have an Idea for improving binary system to from certain aspects change the computer world. I had presented my idea to a computer engineer he was working on a system to run commands in a different construct. Unfortunately we lost contact with each other.

True.I personally went through boot camp in 1970 in Israel on army base with American and Canadian teenagers. Never forget that experiment. Good idea to have our politicians go through it too.

I was also in boot camp in 1970. Good times. JK.

Trump probably thinks lifting a forkful of chocolate cake is boot camp

@btroje -- rotflmao

@evidentialist glad i made a comprehesible joke 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35994
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.