Agnostic.com

23 3

Do you read the bible to get knowledge about it, and to be able to understand why it is fiction?

So, I've started reading the bible in Genesis, and I'm past Noah's Ark and I told someone at work, "If I can't sleep, I open my bible." She said I'm not really an atheist then, because I'm reading the bible. I said, "I'm trying to understand it, so I can know what I'm talking about since I say things that contradict the bible." Someone else said, "I'm a knowledgeable atheist." At least she understood what I meant. Have you read the whole bible to try to understand religion more? I'm still at Noah's Ark. It's boring. Lol.

Sarahroo29 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Calculus is boring, too, unless you know how to purposefully utilize it.

Tanach (what Christians commonly refer to as “the Old Testament) is a compendium of Jewish folk wisdom and tales. Every culture is entitled to its own mythologies, and Judaism’s was never intended to be shared with anyone.

The trouble really began when the Romans got their hands on scripture, reinterpreting it to suit their needs and then spreading the altered belief system throughout their empire. Since at least the Council of Nicaea onward, as earlier pacifistic forms of Christianity gave way to a more violent and intolerant form of orthodoxy, Christianity has had it in for Judaism. As Islam appeared in the formative years of Orthodox Christianity, it too was greatly influenced by its sense of rigid orthodoxy and it’s penchant for the forced conversions of “non-believers”. In fact, a number of religious scholars consider Islam to be an early non-orthodox (i.e., heretical) form of Christianity.

In the best of times, Christians and Muslims have been barely tolerant of Jews. But, why, if unlike the aforementioned, the Jews were in no hurry to proselytize and collect souls? Jews have seldom ever numbered more than 15,000,000 worldwide, whereas, today, Muslims number approximately 1,800,000,000, with those who identify as Christian, just slightly more. So, what’s with the obsessiveness to be rid of Jews? Ah, this is where it gets interesting.

As the wellspring from which the other two later religions sprang, it was always a theological encumbrance for the Jews to have heard “the Truth” and then to have rejected it; ergo, “just eliminate the Jews, and we will have no one to speak against ‘the Truth.’”

Now, fast forward to today. Christianity and Islam are still proselytizing religions vying for souls; for, to them, numbers not only represent political power, but they also function as a de facto affirmation of the respective “Truths” they are trying to push on the masses. Today, Evangelical Christians have a love/hate relationship with Jews. On the one hand, they’d like to have them validate their “Truth” by accepting it and being absorbed. On the other hand, they like to claim they are “grafted in” to the Jewish people they would like to see disappear (It’s known as “Replacement Theology”.) Muslims, unfortunately, carry on an ancient resentment toward Jews because they had not accepted Mohammad as their final prophet and would generally like to do away with them altogether. They are further incensed that Israel, for its small size, is wildly prosperous, despite having rejected Islam and successfully rebuffed all attacks waged against it since it’s birth.

Interesting though this all may be, where does it leave the Bible as something purposeful to study? My suggestion is that, in order to combat proselytization from both the Christian and Muslim faiths, you study Judaism’s original interpretation of scripture. Jews have rejected Christian theological arguments for nigh on two-thousand years, and it isn’t for nothing. There is very sound reasoning behind why the Christ narrative does not make sense, and it is with unbridled joy that I am able to calmly point to scripural and philosophical references which leave even the most ardent holy-rollers speechless.

Wow. The bible isn't to be taken seriously, that is for sure.

I did, and I rather enjoyed reading it. I read it like I would read any book, I started on page one and suffered through the "be gots" so that I can claim I read the entire book. I don't know why but it was necessary for me to be able to claim I read the whole book. I did it because some theist pointed out that I was a hypocrite when I said, You deny evolution is accurate, yet you have made no attempt at reading a single textbook and investigating what it is that you object too. I, at the time, had never read the Bible and when asked I owned up to it. I sometimes joke with Christians because 99% of them have never read the entire Bible, that if God is real at least, I can say I read his book, can you say that? God knows if you're lying 🙂

@fathercat Well don't get me wrong because they are both complete fiction but The Book of the Dead is a whole lot more believable and useful than the Bible and a heck of a lot less violent. Basically, all it's saying is you need to stand up and accept that you're not perfect and don't be afraid of the demon standing in your way to rebirth. I think it's more metaphoric and if you have to choose between reading the Bible and Book of the Dead I advise the book of the dead 100 fold over the Bible

@fathercat I've never heard of the book of the dead.

@atheist Okay, thank you for telling me.

I read a good part of the Old Testament in an undergrad literature class (English major). There were some interesting parts as I recall. Especially when considering comparative mythology. I also like the story where Paul Muad'Dib rides the sand worm.

Yeah back in the day - when all those blue eyed folks took the spice and stuff.

Lol.

I can't be bothered reading it been there and done that don't need to revisit that sad crap again.

True.

I find the historical details utterly fascinating. Like the guys in the OT swearing oaths by touching each other's genitals! Seriously interesting but probably based on oral traditions, fairy stories and camp fire horrors.

Lol.

I've read the Bible through three times, and also the Koran once (Though the Koran was quite a difficult read...A Muslim friend of mine says you get more out of it if the teachings become part of your daily routine..sort of a 'live the Bible' thing, I guess). Objectively, I thought the Koran was beautifully written, even if I didn't have a total grasp of it in parts. They are both good 'how to live your life' guides for people who don't understand how to behave in a civilized society, but that's not me. I'm a big boy. I know how to wipe my own ass, thanks....

Lol.

The Bible roundly and repeatedly condemns religion, and is really man's best attempt to encode timeless truths about how the universe works in symbolic forms that are way older than the Bible itself. Who disagrees with 'love your neighbor?'

It's all that other upside/down stuff in between...that I tried to make sense of and now just feel tricked with!

Yes.

@Sarahroo29 @Freedompath ah well that is in there too, see, that "strong men" would try and use God to make people religious, or believe in some "place" called heaven, none of which can be quoted. Note that the OT ends with all of the religious people being deported, etc. Let freaks interpret for you, imo [abarim-publications.com] 🙂

@Freedompath "Jesus of Nazareth" = "John Doe, from Nowhere" in a kind of code, that religious people (the blind) will not acknowledge, and etc

Paul writes, "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception...(Colossians 2:8)," which is exactly what the Scientific Method was intended to do. Faith is not the bold trust in things that make no sense. It's not the religious platform after the understanding of the times. It has nothing to do with obedience to certain dogmas. Nothing with lack of proof. In fact, faith and scientific knowledge are really quite alike: Both Paul's definition of faith and the Scientific Method consist of two parts. Have a look: [abarim-publications.com]

Okay.

@Kajabla1961 well, you are basically agreeing with them, so i'm not sure where the disconnect is occurring here. you are aware that Abarim are encouraging the Scientific Method there, right? And suggesting abandoning the religious definition of "faith?"

@Kajabla1961 well, not sure what to say there, you sound just like them to me. I mean i could literally quote Abarim saying what you just said. You might search "Jesus of Nazareth = 'John Doe, from Nowhere'" third link after the ads and youtube ones. Iow the sun was never halted, or run backwards, yadayada.

@Kajabla1961 "By the time the Hebrews had a say in it, the name Jerusalem had been long established. Most likely, the original name, that sounded something like Urusalimum or Ursalimmu, meant Foundation Of Salem, the latter being a known Ugaritic god. .."
i don't see them pulling any punches here

@Kajabla1961 "If the observer feels aversion to this change, the observation will lead to fear, but if the observer trusts the force, he will feel awe. This distinction may seem rather trifle but it really isn't. When the Word of the Lord appeared to Abram and said: "Do not fear (אל־תירא); I am a shield to you," He basically said that Abram should neither fear nor revere Him. The command אל־תירא is the single most repeated command in the Bible (more than fifty times in the Old Testament alone), and it doesn't only state that we should have no fear, it also states that we should not revere." i mean whaddya want here 🙂

I've read stretches of it and used reference guides to find bits that answer questions I've had about it. Reading a book doesn't make you a believer. That's the kind of logic that keeps people from ever understanding each other. Of course, I have heard Christians argue emphatically that understanding another religion or philosophy is the same as believing it.

Ignorance is not bliss.

Nope.

The movies aren't any better.

Snooze.

I read the bible many times but as a Christian. Since then a handful of scripture here or there just to refresh my memory. It holds no bearing on whether or not you're a true atheist.

Okay.

My understanding is that the Bible is a teaching tool (Jesus teaching us how to live). The main thing is, to know the history of how the Bible came into being. Once you've studied that you can read it with a clearer mind.

Yes. Agreed.

I have many bibles and study books in a small library. I no longer reaad them, but can use them as reference to look something up for you. I credit my study as helping to lead me to atheism.

Same here.

I stole a gideon bible from a motel. I lost it in divorce. I would never buy one. I like the book of proverbs, some of them are just commonsense

Yep.

No I don't need to taste shit to know its shit.

Lol.

Do you read the Book of Morman to understand why it is fiction, the Watchtower, the Bagahvad Gita, the Quoran? Charriots of the Gods? I didn't think so.

Okay.

I read it as a kid. I don't know why, it was my choice. I thought of it as a book full of fictional stories. That was all.

Yep.

Song of songs is a good read

Oh, hmmm.

Cool.

I completely stop reading the Bible for any reason, some time ago! I think one of my main reasons was, that I was so sick of a lot of people backing up all their opinions, on some scripture verse! My mother, did that her whole life and I disliked it then, but over time it started to disgust me! I am getting rid of 3 Bibles, in this move. I am keeping a small one, just in case of...who knows what? But, the truth is, I have come to feel somehow sick about the Bible!

Oh, okay.

I am currently reading the New Testament. I want to know where the Jesus movement came from so I'm also reading several alternative interpretations.

I am working my way through Caesar's Messiah which exposes several strange parallels between Josephesus' work and the Gospels I don't think it is legit. I am more interested in the Dead Sea scrolls book and will try and piece it all together. It does seem to me that the Jesus movement certainly isn't what the current era Christians think he was.

Nope.

I’ve read it but I would recommend The Bible Reloded on YouTube. Hugo and Jake read the buble and provide entertaining and insightful commentary.

They also have a Quran study at The Quan Reloaded.

Hmmm... Okay.

No

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36137
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.