Agnostic.com

11 6

LINK New report finds many non-believers still believe in the supernatural - Big Think

It is an interesting perspective, i just got a new car two weeks ago and after a blown tire on Thursday and a fender bender today i started thinking it was probably cursed and it's bad luck. After an hour though i calmed down and started thinking rationally again

astrnelis 5 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pull,the other leg, Kaku, it plays the William Tell Overture.
Most Non-believers see supernatural/superstitions, etc, as little more than hoo-ha at the very least.
What, we are supposed to believe that demons, hob-goblins, gremlins, etc, walking UNDER ladders, broken mirrors, black cats and all that other ridiculous twaddle MIGHT just be true WITHOUT even one iota of evidence to support it?
Get a LIFE Kaku.

Of course non-believers still believe in the supernatural. People think "well, it could be." The problem here is that it was all supernatural when you were into religion. Your god was supernatural and he did supernatural things. Today as a non-believer think back into some happenings around you that you thought were supernatural at the time when you were a believer. I remember them well but the difference today is that I can explain most of them. When you are a believer you want to believe. This is why you do believe. As an atheist i reject all things supernatural. I need evidence.

It's hard to not to. Yesterday I rode my bike the same route in which I had my accident last August. I was really nervous and went slow. I have ridden it on other routes so why does his one make me nervous? Is it an idea of bad luck?

It may very well be

You could have been triggered by the memory of ehat happened in thst place.

@Katsarecool That's possible. The particular route I travel almost daily, by car or even walk. Every time I try to figure out just where it happened (I was out cold and didn't know the exact spot). Riding the same bike on this route added another dimension.

If something supernatural that you believed in turns out to be fact, it wasn't supernatural, just not well understood.

godef Level 7 June 16, 2019

Lot of them believe in astrology, fortune telling, mediums contacting the dead, lots of woo.

Oh dear, big mistake! 😱😉

There’s a tendency to label anything that has not been explained by science and does not fit the current scientific world view as “supernatural”. In my opinion there is some pretty convincing evidence for reincarnation. Does that mean I am superstitious?

When I was in elementary school we were taught that ball lightning was a superstition. Continental drift was a discredited fringe topic. Today both of these are established science.

Believing or disbelieving is of little significance, but keeping an open mind is of the utmost importance.

As you say, yesterday’s fringe is tomorrow’s mainstream.

Imagine telling a Roman general that one day he could communicate instantly with his officers all around the empire at the touch of a button.

That would certain be considered the work of the gods, probably Mercury and offerings would be made on a daily basis to ensure the smooth running of the process. Today we pay our ISP!

Ho-hum.

I'm not surprised at all.

I am not among them, thankfully. I am 100% convinced that there is no such thing as the supernatural. But, that being said, I do indeed wish that I were wrong, as it would make this amazing, marvelous, and fascinating universe even more amazing, marvelous, and fascinating. Plus, there would be so much more to discover, which is exciting all by itself! Too bad there isn't.

Then you are going to enjoy when Extraterrestials make their presence known. Yes. I believe very strongly we are not alone and look forward to that day.

@Katsarecool I believe they are out there somewhere, but I'm mathematically convinced that they have yet to visit. For me, that belief is a matter of sheer distance, size, and chance. But, I would also like to be wrong about that too.

lol yep! we all indulge in magical thinking. i enjoy it, myself. i have found that when the old toilet in my house doesn't flush, singing to it makes it flush. my singing can't POSSIBLY effect old plumbing (or anything but the mood of any inadvertent listeners) but there you go. so i sing to the damned toilet. it's magical thinking and it can't possibly work but i enjoy it so i do it.

g

I like that, I've never sung to a toilet but that's because my dad is the super and always available at hand to take care of it. Maybe I'll save him some trouble next time, lol

@astrnelis then i shall teach you the song. appropriately, the song has religious connotations. to the tune of "go down moses": "go down... poopoo... way down in toilet land.... tell old plumbing... let my poopoo go! when poopoo came to toilet land (let my poopoo go!) i qvetched so hard i could not stand (let my poopoo go!) (refrain). note: most people know the slang meaning of qvetch, which is to complain. the literal meaning is to squeeze the bowels.

g

@genessa hahaha you made my day

@genessa hilarious! I might sing that to my almost 2 yr old greatgrandaughter who has decided on her own to be toilet trained.

@Katsarecool aww that's adorable! i wish i could hear her learning that and singing it back to you!

g

@genessa Lily loves to sing and now poo in the toilet. 😋

@Katsarecool so cool, thank you for telling me! 🙂)

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.