Agnostic.com

14 8

"You shouldn't do that" is a challenge. Is "Watch me" your response?

Boyfriend Bill: "In that boot, you shouldn't stand on a chair. I can reach the upper cupboard." (He doesn't know what I do.)

Hiking partner Karen said I shouldn't put a dust ruffle on my bed in this boot. Watch me.

So, I bought a new down comforter and dust ruffle for my bed. After washing, ironing and starching the dust ruffle (a pain), I tackled putting it on.

Balancing the mattress on my head, I laboriously scooted on the dust ruffle. Sweating heavily.

Stepped back to look at it. It was upside down. (bad word)

Furious, I yanked it off and repeated the process. This time, doing it right.

Photos:

1. I made the yellow pillow. Love the trim.

2. My mother painted this magnolia blossom in her yard in Florida. She was going through her Georgia O'Keeffe period.

LiterateHiker 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Magnolia is great. I like Georgia O'Keeffe

@scout123456

My mother painted the magnolia. Thank you!

I can admit I'm a very stubborn person.

If it's a personal choice then I am more likely to do it if someone says not to do it. I hate being told what to do and not do. If someone tells me not to do something, it's a good way to have me to do it to spite them, but spiting them isn't mostly why I would still do it. I could have already wanted to do it and it's just a bonus to defy them lol.

I can usually also tell when someone is trying to use reverse psychology though, in which case if someone tells me TO DO something that I already wanted to do and I think they're just saying it to get me not to do it, I will say yeah I will do it.

If it's something that is common sense to not do something then I am likely to agree with someone who says it. I'm not going to slide down a hill with ice going into a busy traffic intersection, or jump off my roof into a bush. Those are just dumb.

Still nobodies business but my own. I only tell people what to do if they ask my opinion or if they are an imminent threat to other people or property.

Having had 2 surgeries on my ankles I am cautious about things like that. Unless I am in dire need I stay off the step stools when I have a boot on.

I'm more conscious of even stepping off of a curb after breaking my ankle a couple of years ago lol

The last words of a lot of rednecks. 🙂

Or "man up". Hardly anything good ever comes from manning up in a certain context.

I'm stubborn as all hell, too, so I'm basically right there with you. That said, get yourself a good step stool for around the house, as suggested by 1of5. It will often come in handy. Safety first and a speedy recovery! 😁

@DesertInfindel

Thanks.

My heavy step stool is so difficult to unfold, I don't use it.

@LiterateHiker Time to unload that one on Craigslist or something and find an upgrade!

@DesertInfidel

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Will buy a new one.

@LiterateHiker That is very kind of you! 😅

You go, girl! 🙂

I can fully understand your sassy stubbornness. It’s amazing what a person can do if they just try. Sure, there’s danger, but there’s danger in existence. It’s all in what you’re comfortable with.

I had some younger guys order me not to climb my own ladder because they thought I was too old. As they were driving away I was climbing. I recently pressure washed my entire A-frame roof off a 32’ ladder.

@WilliamFleming

Love your reply. Thank you for your support.

You have nothing to prove. Standing on a chair with a medical boot on is foolish and dangerous. Falls kill and it doesn’t take much of a fall.

@ADKSparky

After 44 years of hiking, I am very careful stepping up on a chair and down.

Keep three limbs attached, just like rock climbing.

Hey good for you! I'm sure your friends were just concerned about you moving around with that clunky boot on your foot. I sure wouldn't adivise using a ladder though (smile). I know the feeling of feeling not up to par and the need to prove your aren't a gimp. Just be careful!

That's something left to the situation at hand, in your case good call. 😉

My answer is "You shouldn't do that" is often not meant as a challenge, so I don't take it as one at all most of the time. I assume that most of the time it is meant well as a warning to me with my safety in mind. I don't care much about proving things to people, esp. as far as my physical capabilities. We do seem to have very different mindsets and personalities.

@LiterateHiker I think your caution about hiking is wise. Not smart to risk being part of the herd that is thinned thru risky behavior. Same reason I am not interested in riding motorcycles and never have been, even tho I am told that getting a motorcycle would greatly help me find women to date. Maybe so, but I also know that I will be on blood thinners the rest of my life and one accident would cause me to bleed out before I even made it to a hospital.

@TomMcGiverin

As a hiker, I am more cautious than my women hiking partners. "How do I get down?" is uppermost in my mind. If the pitch is too steep and dangerous, I stop.

"I'm not comfortable going any higher," I say.

Unlike Karen, my goal is not to bag the peak. Let them go up that crumbly, winding apex with extreme drop-offs on all sides.

Karen and Xuilan atop Labyrinth Mountain. Relaxing on a ridge just below the summit, I took these photos. August 2016.

@TomMcGiverin

To me, motorcycles are too dangerous. I'm not interested in motorcycle enthusiasts who don't exercise.

Basically, they are sitting on their ass.

@LiterateHiker That is true of them. Male and female, they are usually overweight and flabby.

@TomMcGiverin

Exactly. "My arms are strong from riding my Harley," a man bragged.

When he took off his shirt, it looked like his chest was melting.

Wobbly, slack flesh. Flabby and overweight. Ugh.

Nope. I worked construction, as an electrician, and operated commercial buildings. When someone says " You shouldn't do that" to me I take it to heart - way to many bad things have happened just after those words were uttered in my experience.

BTW, boot or not you should never stand on a chair. Get a step stool, it actually works better than a chair.

1of5 Level 8 June 17, 2019

Reading this did not surprise me, you're one of those people who does not have the word "can't" in her vocabulary. 😉

I generally ignore the challenges of others, preferring to generate them internally. I don't need to "show" anybody anything. Their reaction to what I do, or don't do, is theirs. The meaning I choose to assign to it is up to me. It's a Stoic thing......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.