Agnostic.com

11 5

Cooking failure. Start over. How did you handle it?

Disgusted, I ordered big-number measuring spoons.

Today is Day 2 of a three-day cooking spree. Karen and I are providing lunch for book club on Wednesday at noon. But Karen dropped out this morning; her mother is in the hospital in Seattle. I'm making:

1. Chicken-Vegetable-Pasta Salad with a fresh lemon-Dijon vinaigrette dressing. (Double the vegetables.)

2. Healthy Date Bars

3. Rainier cherries, locally grown.

4. Should I make brownies, too?

Yesterday, I roasted chicken breasts. Today I'm making date bars. Tomorrow morning: chop vegetables, cook pasta and make vinaigrette. Assemble the chicken-pasta salad.

With my foot in a stiff medical boot, a friend will help me carry the food down the stairs. I live on the second floor.

What's that awful smell?

With the wrong measuring spoon, I accidentally added three teaspoons of vanilla to the cooked dates instead of 1-1/2 teaspoons. Ruined.

Threw away the smelly mess and started over.

[amazon.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The answer to number 4 is yes. ALWAYS make brownies.

@A2Jennifer, @dalefvictor

I'm making chewy-gooey brownies right now.

But they, "MUST" contain pot. LOL

The only thing that gets me out of cooking jams is adding molasses but in your case get a double size pot and Dilute by half and freeze half but then again I don't cook often...

Damn, damn, damn, I did all the driving I am going to do today and I did not go in your direction. Next time! Brownies, really, is that a question? Brownies are never a question they are a must.

@dalefvictor

Will make chewy-gooey dark chocolate brownie in the morning.

I'm tired from cooking and washing pots and pans.

@LiterateHiker Damn, I am out of gas or you would have a visitor. Perhaps next time.

No, just add more dates

Did you have enough ingredients to just double the date bars?

@EricJones

I had enough Medjool dates.

But didn't think of doubling the date mixture.

Cooling, the dates bars smell wonderful.

Next time: Golden Corral. Or Bahama Breeze. It depends on your taste.

I usually make a pot of brown rice or farrow, reduce an onion or two with some mushrooms & celery.
Throw the "failure" in with the above... cook for "awhile"..... and announce 'Stirfry is ready'!.... 😉

Take it out of the microwave, throw it away, open another package, put it in the microwave, set the timer for thirty seconds less then the previous setting.

I can agree with what the others say, for I never make mistakes I thought I did once but I was in error.😣
At least you caught it before it was served 😉

Toss the bad batch and start again. It’s like carpentry Measure twice cut once. I lay out all my ingredients first. That helps to reduce errors. Also, I always cook with a glass of wine 🍷.

Mise en place as taught by Escoffier and wine help too!

@AmelieMatisse My specialties are puff pastries like croissants, breads, and stir fry. My daughter loves my mashed potatoes.

@ADKSparky I have not worked up to a good puff pastry yet although my potato leek tart is pretty yummy. Cooking and baking are such a pleasure.

@AmelieMatisse I find working with yeast doughs to be very therapeutic.

@ADKSparky Ah yes, it requires you to be patient and allow the dough to become as it must in its own time.

That is my suggestion as well. Double the dates, put half of it into the freezer. But easy to read measuring spoons are always a good idea.

@Spinliesel

Wish I had thought of doubling the dates.

Will put that idea in my back pocket.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362605
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.