Agnostic.com

4 1

Would you ever send you disabled child as young as 6 to a school for the blind?

I seen some of those schools and recently heard from someone who grew up going back and forward to regular schools to blind schools throughout childhood from aged 6 to teen years of age 15. Going to these schools meant she spent a lot of her childhood living there on the school premises in dorms, paired with room mates, sometime alone when her room mate would get home sick and would go home. I was told at her youngest, the school she was sent to had been three to four hours away from home. Later she discovered had it not been for her mom, her dad would’ve given the school full custody and she wouldn’t have been only able to go home on weekends, holidays and the summer vacation cause he said he wanted her to learn how to survive in the world just in case she did lose her sight so he was going to allow the school to take her. What is your insights on this? Could you send your disabled child hours away to a school?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If boarding school gave my child an education tailored to their needsI think it would be selfish not to allow them that opportunity ... and ensure the holidays were filled with family fun times

That is a difficult one as one doesn't have all the facts about the case. Each one it different. I would myself find it very hard to do.

My friend, Amy, has two blind sons with Batten's Disease, an inherited, rare, and fatal neurological deterioration. It was caused by the combination of Amy's and her ex-husband's genes.

The middle son is healthy, although he struggles with depression and anxiety. Growing up with two blind, dying brothers was traumatic for him.

With no resources for blind children in Eastern Washington, they sent their oldest son, 6, to the Washington School for the Blind. Cameron learned Braille and other adaptations for the blind.

It's a boarding school. Cameron attended for two years. He came home during summer vacation and holidays.

only if they were blind. it would be very cruel if they weren't.

I thought so, too.

Yep

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:367123
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.