Agnostic.com

9 8

Years ago I dated a Pentecostal woman. Why? She was pretty, she was wealthy, and she liked me. Good lord, that's enough. So when I dated her, I just kept my mouth shut when religious topics came up.

She was searching for a church. She tried several MChurches, but they were not a good fit. She dressed in long dresses, never wore makeup, and never cut her hair (she was also heavily into bondage, but that's another story).

She took me to one Penetcostal church. The sermon is hard to describe, except by analogy. Picture a Nazi party rally run by Daleks and you have a good idea. It was all so formulaic and robotic.

She finally found her church for the moent, the Pentecostal Evangelical Tabernacle (try saying that five times fast), in Granite City IL.

And, where to begin? There is a formula to Pentecostal sermons. The pastor starts out calmly. He gets all fired up, until his face turns red. He starts yelling. This particular pastor would also inhale loudly, as if he had a cold, every minute or two. He would also stop and say "Isn't that right?" every few minutes. He could literally take one sentence out of the bible and stretch it to a 90 minute sermon that way.

Someone in the congregation would shout "Praise the lord!" every few minutes at random (and yes, it was all I could do to keep from shouting "and pass the ammunition!" ).

It was not uncommon to see people start crying, and doing other histrionics. And here's the thing: the pastor's face would turn red, as I said. If the man had a stroke and tumbled to the ground, that would have been perfectly acceptable. The guy could have died up there, and everyone would have thought he had just gotten ahold of the holy spirit.

The same applies with the congregation: in the outside world, many of them had symptoms that strongly resembled schizophrenia. Yet that was perfectly normal, in fact, encouraged behavior at that church. I can't help but wonder how many mentally ill people claim to be christians because in that way they can have voices in their heads, and still be accepted.

I think the oddest part of that chuch's services was the passing of the communion plate. The pastor would be the first to donate, piously putting money in the bucket, before it was passed on.

Think of the hypocrisy of that: where is the money going? I assume it's meant as a show of faith: but how much faith is there in putting money into your own pocket?

I enjoyed talking to the pastor after the sermon. When he did a sermon about Jesus and the lepers, afterwards I would point out to him that the leprosy in the bible is not the same disease we call leprosy today. He was genuinely surprised at that, though I hastened to add "That doesn't change the meaning of the sermon." He knew his bible, and not much beyond that.

The standard image of fundamentalist pastor is that they don't believe the nonsense they spout. This guy was for real. So much the pity.

As an odd sort of postscript, my ex girlfriend is apparently still searching for a church that will accept her odd melange of beliefs. She has apparently switched to Methodism. No telling how that bondage stuff will fit in.

Robotbuilder 7 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SO much of this post is brilliant and spot-on! It reminded me that Sam Kinison was a Pentecostal preacher before he was excommunicated and turned to comedy.

How did I not know that? 🙂

@RavenCT It certainly makes his act make more sense. 🙂

Her bondage fits in very well because she is and wants to be in bondage to her special brand of theism. I doubt that she would ever see her sexual practices as connected to her religious beliefs.

Love the part where he piously placed money in the plate since thats most likely where it came from in the first place.. Gave me a chuckle,Thanks!

That is a well stated description. My only knowledge of Pentecostalism is the talks that have been given by ex-pastor Jerry DeWitt, that was also what he was. He was also the first "graduate" of the Clergy Project.

Jerry is indirectly responsible for me coming out of Pentecostalism. We have never met but we are members of one group together. I highly recommend his sermon "The Rise of the Amerigod" on You Tube.

I hope she finds the right church. Hope she doesn't make the mistake of choosing the wrong church and end up in Hell! Wow...what a major decision to have to make. Seems as if God would help her make the right choice, but, alas, he leaves her to this seriously risky journey on her own.

I have nothing except to say you tell a story well.

Hey you got a like just for this: "A Nazi party rally run by Daleks". Made my day.

I don't know anything about the psychology of bondage but I am guessing that anyone submitting to the bondage and public humiliation of holiness theology would tend to be bent in that way. Or, in the alternative, anyone bent in that way would be attracted to holiness theology. Maybe both are true at times.

yeah, that for my thumbs up also/ ie daleks

The thing that gets to me is the contrast of public piety and what they do in private. If my ex girlfriend did that, I can't help but wonder what the others in the congregation did.There was a SF story called "The Barbie Murders" by John Varley. People would join the colony, and they would have their genitals and nipples removed, so they resembled Barbie dolls. Their idea of perversion was acting like they were normal, through the use of prostheses. Maybe "The Barbie Murders" has some insight into Pentecostal behavior.

Pentacost is....interesting.

The babbling and the writhing.

Why is it now your "ex girlfriend"? What happened to the "She was pretty, she was wealthy, and she liked me"?

She broke up with me. Her reason was that Jesus intervened and told her to end the relationship. The thing is, Jesus came along and ended ALL of her previous relationships. I think it's a fear of intimacy on her part. There's a lot of other very personal issues involved.

@Robotbuilder She cannot be in bondage to you and Jesus at the same time. One of you had to go.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.