Agnostic.com

15 4

Have you ever changed your opinion about an important issue because of a better argument ?

A few days ago, we celebrated (at least here in Germany) the 90th anniversary of Jürgen Habermas, one of the last representatives of Enlightenment thinking.

One of his famous formulas is "Der zwanglose Zwang des besseren Arguments" (= the coercionless coercion of the better argument). He believes that we become good or better citizens when we discuss, and just let the better arguments prevail.

It occurred to me that I have rarely if ever seen that somebody changed his/her mind because of a better argument, at least not when the topic is deemed to be important (religion, capitalism, GMOs, vaccinations, climate change....)

Did you ever change your opinion because of a better argument , or did you witness such a "conversion"?
About which topic?

Matias 8 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't say that any single argument has resulted in an epiphany that turned me around. However a series of arguments over time that all point to a consistent conclusion and fits the data has done it for me.

I have grown into different opinions through living over time.not because of others' well-reasoned arguments.

Sure, on occasion in an online discussion for example someone will point out something I hadn't known or considered and I'll change or modify my view.

If you never change your views then you probably aren't truly participating in the discussion.

I have changed in major and minor ways, from believer to atheist, to agnostic, to eastern philosopher, to science lover, to wooless religion practitioner, and still moving. But probably due more to private reading and discussion than to arguing as such.

People generally don’t change on the scene of an argument, but thoughtful people can be influenced by a good argument after they have had time to mull it over and do a bit of verification on their own, so I don’t rule out the value of a mutually respectful argument.

skado Level 9 July 2, 2019

Yes - always try to be open to logical reasoned argument

Most people live by faith which is to say they can't be argued into changing their minds and refuse to consider any fact which disproves their prejudices and beliefs. Even some people who consider themselves to be free of religion still cling to their religious faith in what they are told to believe and think which is why there are atheists stupid enough to vote for Trump and the far right-wing Christians that support him...

Yes, the biggest was regarding the death penalty.

1of5 Level 8 July 2, 2019

Hypothermia

As a small, thin ectomorph, with high exertion I sweat heavily, soaking my shirt which then freezes.

Zipping a down jacket and raincoat over a wet shirt does not work. Twice I got hypothermia this way. It took 12 hours to warm up my core after I got home. Stubborn.

In the winter, the thought is agonizing: baring wet, shivering skin to frigid wind and driving sleet. Fuuuuck!

But I have to do it. First, I line up dry clothes in the order I will put them on. Strip quickly and get dressed as fast as possible. By then, I'm shivering hard. Then hot tea helps warm up my core.

I changed my mind when I got new information or had a new experience.

Personal growth through therapy as an adult child of an alcoholic.

I learned to be authentic, share my feelings appropriately, set boundaries with people, and stop blaming myself when things go wrong.

Confidence gained. I refused to ascend the final, narrow, twisting, dangerous- with sliding rocks and a huge drop off- push to the summit of Mission Peak.

"I'm good here," I said stopping on the last ridge. "You go ahead."

"Come on, Kathleen!" Karen said in 2018. "Everyone's at the top; there's a flat area at the summit. You can do it!"

Without looking down, I kept my eyes on the path and rhythmically climbed without stopping. With every step, sharp rocks slid beneath my feet.

"Happy Birthday!" Karen, Gro and Susan yelled when I reached the top. They sang "Happy Birthday" to me.

Karen served a chocolate cake she made with raspberries and whipped topping. I was thrilled. Of course, it was difficult to get down.

Not sure if I have changed a full 180 degrees on any, BUT, I have moved a bit more centrally between two poles based on hearing other points of view explained in more detail than I initially understood.

Zster Level 8 July 2, 2019

I have changed my mind many times. If we are to be as open minded and scientific as we profess, it is not important to be "right" but to discover the right answer. The world is changing and part of that means analyzing the new information and adapting to current lifestyles, mores, etc.

An argument implies contested information...I would suggest that I changed my mind on certain things not because of a better argument but because of better data/information.

The main example I give is on my views on abortion. When I was 18, the information available was that a fetus could not live outside of the mother's body until xxx weeks. The development of the fetus was also not readily available to even the mother.

With new medical technology and reporting, we can now see detailed ultrasound pictures, and we have ways of saving the lives of prematurely born babies to live a normal life. I have changed my mind on when I think abortion should be done. I have not changed my mind on the choice being the woman.

This is just one example...

Open mindedness is a catch-22. If someone is open minded, they should be open to the possibility they are not open minded, and so they can not say they are. Conversely, someone who claims to be open minded can't be, because if they were they wouldn't claim to be.

@Happy_Killbot lol...ever think maybe you overthink? I get what you are saying...lol...but no need to over analyze into circular thinking...sometimes the conventional use of terms is perfectly alright and most understand the generalized meaning...you can be too bright for your own sanity! ha ha ha

Yes, a few years ago my daughter changed my mind in regard to transsexuality. At the time I did not understand the subject, but through logical reasoned debate, evidence and comparison with other connected matters my views were changed. Now I have a greater understanding of the subject and the science that explains it which assisted me with my studies in further education into gender development and sexual understanding.
Since then, I am following in my daughter’s footsteps in studying social sciences to degree level.

I had to modify my opinion on sex changes after I was dealt a scathing verbal attack and provided with links to scientific studies showing that a few people are born with characteristics of both genders. Their chromosomes are not clearly XX or XY.

Everyone else is clearly male or female and no true change is possible.

I have also decided that I oppose the death penalty. It was after hearing various arguments, but I had no strong feelings on the subject to begin with

I support the principle of the death penalty, but the implementation of the actual removal of life except in extreme circumstances must be avoided. For myself the death penalty means the perpetrator ends their life in prison by dying through natural causes not dangling at the end of a rope et cetera.
Like myself, understanding the science behind chromosomes in the development of the fetus within the womb change my mind.

The problem with better arguments is that they can never be applied to opinions, and even in an age when all the facts and statistics are at our fingertips people reject hard information in favor of soft opinions. No argument no matter how logicaly sound can change someones mind if they have already made the decision.

There are limits to what science can tell you, and even though every topic you listed has hard science tilting the table people still reject it, and can do so indefinitely until non associated factors force them to change.

For example, you can prove that GMO crops are no worse for you than regular crops, and that regular crops are different than their wild counterparts due to selective breeding changing their genetic makeup. You can show how growing only organic foods would be more detrimental to the environment and take several times the amount of land to produce the same volume of lower quality product, and how don't have enough arable land to grow enough food organically to feed everyone. Why do people buy organic? It was a series of very successful marketing campaigns that changed everyones minds to believe that GMOs are evil and only organic can save humanity. All the others follow the same trend. Arguments don't influence, emotions do.

Fake news..... hahaha.
The fight against the subject wisdom of the masses is a hard task. As a social science student I study this to exhaustion. It's called common sense.
Arguments can change opinion, but as you've said emotions get in the way.

It is not a matter of a "better" argument but of understanding the issue or seeing it in a different light.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.