Agnostic.com

60 9

Should euthanasia or "death with dignity" be available to anyone upon demand under controlled circumstances?

When I hear people talk about the difficulty of euthanizing their elderly or desperately ill pets I immediately think that at least we accord our pets a more logical and merciful death than we do to our fellow humans. The wonders of modern medicine can be as much a curse as they are a blessing. We live in an unprecedented time when we can know what will probably kill us twenty years down the line. To modern doctors death is the enemy which must be fought to the last possible moment. Little concern is given to the quality of life of the patient/victim, only that they be kept alive.
The conspiracy is broad-based. Big Pharma wants to keep you on maintenance drugs and never seems to come up with cures. A patient cured is a customer lost. If they stumbled across a $1 cure for AIDS or cancer would we ever hear of it? And then there are the private, for-profit health insurance companies that are really legalized extortion and protection rackets sucking billions out of the health-care system for administration, profits and to pay lawyers to find ways not to honor the benefits spelled out in their policies. The patient is but a scrap of meat ground up in the gears of corporate medicine. If we truly have free will shouldn't we be allowed to opt out?
There are many reasons someone may want to take advantage of doctor assisted suicide. One would be to avoid a prolonged and torturous illness. Another might be to avoid being a burden to loved ones. There are also those who are alone in life and don't want to go through the steady drip, drip of watching their bodies deteriorate due to age. If the request is initiated by the patient, there is no outside duress and the patient has thought through their decision with the consul of medical professionals what gives the state the right to deny such a request no matter what the circumstances? Like back alley abortions unassisted suicides can be messy affairs that can lead to unintended consequences like paralysis or brain damage. The primary reason for legalizing abortions was to end horrific atrocities committed in non-clinical circumstances. Wouldn't the same argument apply to suicide?

GareBear517 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I personally believe euthanize should be available to all . sick or not. Who is to say that we must live in this world if we chose not too? I personally have considered and tried suicide several times. If i could get a doctor to assist me to do it right I would do it now. I have nobody to turn to and I'm in a bad situation. I am disabled and have diabetes and breathing problems. I am living with people that I though cared about me but have found out different. I am pretty much confined to my room and am not to eat here or do laundry. I am called "asshole" among other names. Was flipped the bird and told "fuck you" just yesterday. I am losing weight and my diabetes is out of control. I'm not eating right nor am I taking meds due to not eating. My sugar is running 400 + due to eating junk. I need to find another place to live as they want me out of here . I can't afford to move as they get half my ss check for rent and the other half goes to car payment and insurance. I can let vehicle go or not make payment as I need it for doc appointments but rarely drive but have a co signer and cannot default on the loan. I am really depressed and getting worse by the day. I need help. I don't want to cause any trouble for these people, I just want out .. I'm in Oregon and its cold outside and I wouldn't survive on the streets. I afraid that's were I will be at the first of the month. I don't know what to do here.. any advice would be appreciated thanks

It sounds as if you need medical and social help rather than euthanasia at this point in your life. I don't live in the USA so I don't know what organisatiuons there are where yoyu live that can give you advice about how to improve your situation. Is there anyon e on this site from your area who would know what you need to do?

If I have a terminal disease that includes symptoms of extreme pain, and anesthesia is not working, I want the right and means to end my life.

In most countries you don't have that right. You can be screaming in agony at the end of terminal cancer for days, because the analgesia is no longer working and the doctor will not put you out of your misery because he is afraid of prosecution. Do not believe those who say we can control pain these days. We can only do it up to a point and the doctors will refuse to increase the dose of, for example, morphine, because they know that if they increase it enough to remove the pain, it will kill the patient.

I have read many arguments for and against the various levels of euthanasia.

There was a recent article about making it more easily accessible here [dailymail.co.uk].

The suicide pod is a bit silly. It is much easier to use nitrogen or helium with a plastic bag. But it would be much better and more pleasant and dignified if we could just go to the doctor and say we have had enough and want to end our lives.

I have wrote my story on topic I am not afraid to die...I have hiv 27yrs and in great health. My husband died 19 yrs ago with hiv. The torture he went through is unimaginable. When I am very sick and can't take care of myself that will be my time to die.NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. I have saved many pills over the years I just want to gently go to sleep forever.

Sorry don't know why comment came up twice

We have no problem doing it for animals... yet we have problems when it comes to the suffering of our loved ones... go figure...

In my opinion - absolutely !

Just because we CAN extend life in an otherwise useless body, doesn't mean we SHOULD indefinitely .

Yes. 100%

gearl Level 8 Nov 15, 2017

Yes, ditto to @gearl.

Yes, it should be legal on all states. It’s our bodies, our choice. Period.

Absolutely it should. As you say, what gives the government the right to come between you, your choices and your medical professionals, no matter the circumstances.

Honestly, who are they to say that we aren't ready to die?
I believe human beings should reserve the ability to go to the doctor and be able to pass peacefully instead of constantly struggling each day.

Of course.

Definitely yes. Saw my father's mother kept alive in a vegetative state for 7 years following a stroke. Then my mom's mother who I was extremely close with lived to 109 in a rehab center-but the last 2 years of her life she did not want to be alive. She would cry out in the middle of the night and they would drug her and she had difficulty eating so they spoon fed her with baby food. I couldn't bear to see her that way and my cousins didn't understand why I wouldn't visit her those last 2 years. I have a medical proxy upon my health declaring that no feeding tube is to be authorized-I believe in a dignified death and euthanasia.

There need to be some obvious safeguards, but definitely yes.

There are 5 states in the U.S. that have a Death with Dignity program and a number of others are looking into this. However, the program is only available to those dying within 6 months.

One very important aspect of this program is the elimination of the word "suicide". Ones cause of death is listed as the illness that one is dying from.

I absolutely support a euthanasia program for others but it has to have certain parameters to make it palatable to lawmakers.

It's my life. Keeping people from this is nothing more than controlling others in the name of their religious beliefs. Pretty much the same as telling women what to do with their bodies.

Yes. Being alive should not be a prison sentence of suffering.

Absolutely. Everyone should have the right to control their destiny.

Yes. Civil, compassionate euthanasia should be an option.

Absolutely, yes. Why shouldn't we have the right to control our own lives, or deaths?

As a life-long dog owner I have faced the euthanasia of deeply loved ones many times. It is Necessary!
If I was a good daughter, I would have helped my Mom when she needed it. A Huge regret! If I had let a dog suffer like she suffered in her last days, I would rightly have been prosecuted.......

I am hoping we become more civalisesx and euthanasia is an option avaiable to be in my old age. Dignity is what I hope for.

I feel like we should be allowed to decide for ourselves. We should have our own freedom when
we are ready to die. You would need to make sure that you would be ready for sure.

Absolutely yes. This is a no-brainer, IMO.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.