Agnostic.com

17 9

Why would you ask?

When I was divorced and rolling in the catnip of freedom, going out 5 nites a week dressed to kill I had more free conversation. Mostly with guys trying to pick me up. My GIRLS were handy if I needed backup. I noted that these hopefuls were using a line I was not familiar with. They considered themselves " Spiritual " but not formally religious. I would ask them to define the concept of being spiritual. Most fumbled around until they felt foolish, then heard their Mother calling. I've yet to hear a person give me an answer that might be plausable.

ForTheBirds 6 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have seen the term often enough on dating sites. It means that person has never sat down and thought it out, "it" being life and our meaning in it. They use "spiritual" and a safe way not to alienate any potential mate. On my profiles on dating site I accentuate my lack of religion, my love of my dogs and my hatred of Trump. I then tell them to keep scrolling if they take the slightest issue with any of it.

Exactly. Why not say exactly who you are and look for a match ? Why waste time, the only thing of value that you have to spend, on a person holding views so different than yours that it will not last? I have no religion and hate Trump, but I can't stand dogs and would never hook up with someone that loves them and has to have one around.

Fair enough ForTheBirds

May I define the concept for you? 'Spiritual' is the state of having a spirit in your neuronal system. Spirit is an electromagnetic entity (purely physical) designed by mother nature, Nacrea (NAtural CREAtion), in order to accoplish two specific tasks, both of which support each other. Number one: Spirit sustains the body temperature - life. Number two, Spirit is of a two-fold principle: it houses two separate souls, one male and the other female. Why? because we are sexual creatures both male and female at the same time inside of us right now. Whether you are straight, or gay or lesbian, or bisexual have to do with which particular sex soul is dominant in your neuronal system. This is called the soul-pair. See mannunaki.com. Now let us define the two: 1) Have you noticed when people are in the brink of death, they say :"I feel cold," that is because their Spirit is leaving the body. 2) The neuronal soul-pair rules the two brains in you. The two minds in you. The two sexes in you RIGHT NOW! Genitalia is not sex. Genitalia is equipment for procreation. Now, finally, Spirit has this mission. You came to this life to earn experiences so as to have them stored in the memory of the neuronal soul-pair. These experiences are required by Nacrea after your flesh passes away. The universe is a living organism and IT requires our experiences in order to advance the universal intelligence.

I found it a pickup line not unlike " What's your ( zodiac ) sign ?" I used to be friends with peeps that thought they were abducted by aliens. I knew peeps that thought they could channel Angels. I knew a ton of people that indulged in mushrooms, LSD and whatever pot was around in the 70's. It was mostly Mexican Brick, nothing like what is out now. Still, I was entertained by your answer. Did someone else make it up or was it your own?

If I had a soul or two I would have traded them off long ago for eternal youth. I hate getting old. I don't want to use a walker or have somebody else wipe my ass. Einstein said that matter is neither created or destroyed, thought it can change how it's expressed. Everything, everything is made up of atoms. Both the inanimate and the animate are made of energy whirling around nothing. So spirit is nothing but energy, and has no attachment to intellect, personality, or memory.

About 30 years ago I went with a gal for a time that identified as such. She was into the woo stuff and I found it as unacceptable as religion. I know Harris talks about it positively but to me the spirit part of the word is enough to turn me off. It today is like so many other words that can have a myriad of definitions.

gearl Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

I think Sam Harris has a video on youtube that talks about Spirituality that seems reasonable and doesn't invoke god.

Spritual might just be another term for "wishful thinking"

I have known people who believe in a higher power, but not in the Bible or religious institutions. I have no problem with that idea. They have been and are good people or they wouldn't be my friends.

It's the new buzzword..meaning you don't attend formal church, but you feel connected with energy, nature, etc.

I guess spiritual is having faith or that "feeling" without being into organized religion.

In my opinion it is the awe, respect, and beauty of nature and life. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 14, 2018

I like that. That is a great description of spiritual.

The closest i have ever heard, was the idea of spirituality is just rying to improve oneself forthe better, just for the sakeof doing it and receiving a sense of satisfaction from both making the effort and any acheivements made. Basically tryign to become more moral without placign judgement or one's morality onto others.

Its just bullshit like slightly religious

Maybe it's their way of saying "agnostic". Either they don't care about religion and/or they are afraid of making a definitive statement like 'Atheist'. Questiong that puts them on the spot. I advertise from the start that I'm non-theist which helps to clarify where I stand.

It is a desire to appear substantive without having to be specific. People who need to appear substantive, generally aren't.

I concur

See it more on dating sites-Could be where they are picking it up

I used it on Zoosk, Our Time and Match when I was a member.

It looked to me like Pubic Scalp Hunters' bait. Not putting themselves in either camp in hopes of getting their dick wet. As Woody Allen said of bisexuals, " It doubles your chance of having a date Saturday night"

I hear that crap all the time too. It's a way for them to straddle the fence without committing. I consider it to be cowardice by those who can't get past pascal's wager.

Or it might be that they do not ascribe to Pascal's Wager. Maybe some people do not believe it is an either/or situation.

They can't distinguish woo from reality.

What do you mean by woo ? Don't make me ask my 30 something kids.

@ForTheBirds Woo refers to ideas considered irrational or based on extremely flimsy evidence or that appeal to mysterious occult forces or powers.

@jlynn37 So Woo is a religion in itself. You just described my observation about believers .

It seems to me that when a person describes themself as spiritual they may be saying that they are not part of a religion but that they believe some religious concepts. You really need to find out what they mean by that!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37010
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.