Agnostic.com

41 10

What do you think of parody or mock religions? Have you or would you join one?

Examples:

Dudeism
Jediism
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Satanism
Invisible Pink Unicorn

What do you think of these "religions?" Do they serve a purpose? Are they funny? Would you ever join?

Here is a list of them on Wiki:

[en.wikipedia.org]

silvereyes 8 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Festivus for the rest of us? Feets of Strength, Airing of Grievances, Aluminum Pole...I might go for it, but probably not. Satanists are really good at keeping religion out of schools. Part of the problems that non-believers face is letting go of the fellowship and social interactions that religion/church activities provide. That can be a shock to their lives. So maybe a real place to gather and socialize on a regular basis would benefit some.

Except Satanism most sound frivolous. Not interested.

No its all the same crap

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I follow the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Would adonitology fall under this too? Worshipping big women?

I find them humorous and appreciate that they point out the absurdity of "real" religions. Is Satanism technically a parody religion, or is it a spinoff from the Abrahamic ones?

Oh what fun. I'm a card carrying minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...makes bible thumpers think a bit when they find out....a lot of smh. I can perform marriage ceremonies in New Zealand. If you aren't laughing...you're not living.

I like the pastafarians. It is a really funny group and have been highlighted many times by FFRF. It is especially telling when they go to court to sue in order to have their headware (a colander) on their head for a driver's ID and then win!

Wow, now I need to do some research. I was not aware of anything like this. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

I highly support them!! Or at least the idea of them.

Am considering becoming an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Not sure I'm qualified to be a Jedi...

I really dislike them because they're childish. Satire is more than just lowest common denominator mocking. Argue, debate, reason don't just be like "you're so dumb we're going to be dumb too lulz.

The exception to this is definitely the satanic temple. I love those guys. What they're doing is more than just mocking, it's satirical in the form of a reduction to absurdity in a clever way. Plus the legal side where they're actively fighting church control by showing its flaws. Plus the religion does have an actual message I find appealing.

Also I'm curious if there are actual Jedi believers.. always wondered that.

With real life Jedi, it's quite often a way of life somewhat akin to Zen Buddhism... Go figure. They see the Force as an ethereal, spiritual energy that connects every living thing; I haven't seen anyone who believes that they can tap into abilities using the Force, though.

I did dudeism and fsm. It was just a joke.

Would I ever? I am always up to conversing religious fundamentals with others. I think most of them come from the same source anyway - man, not myth. I am up to hearing new notions if any exist. Ive heard some good stuff.

I wrote an essay for Eidolon on the use by atheists of comedy as a tool in the culture wars
[eidolon.pub]

Hiram Level 4 June 25, 2018

Yh I think 70% of Satanism is bang on. So I substribe to the philosophy/doctrine. Plus gothic/dark art is way cool anyway.

Some of them were created from a place of humor but others were created as a way to fight the American Taliban at their own game. The Church Of Satan was created as a direct result of laws being passed that gave preferential treatment to religious entities over non-religious ones. And since they had crossed all of their Ts and dotted all of there is just like the Abrahamic religions, no legal reason could be used to block their requests and Bang! they were in. Many local governments actually then repealed their religious laws which was the intent all along and those that didn't were faced with all sorts of blow back that they never saw coming.

As far as mocking religions, they just make it too easy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.