Agnostic.com

20 5

Two Americans gored and hospitalized after bull run. Why do this?

Chased by bulls down a narrow road is an activity I never understood.

Why put yourself in danger?

"We get to be heroes again," a male runner said. Idiots.

Two Americans were gored in Pamplona, Spain, on Sunday during the annual Running of the Bulls festival — one of whom is now fighting for his life.

A 46-year-old man from San Francisco is in grave condition after being gored in the neck by a bull, according to local authorities.

The other American victim is a 23 year-old man from Kentucky. He's recovering from an injury deemed “less serious,” after a bull’s horn pieced his thigh, according to authorities.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why do the running of the bulls? Why do anything risky at all such as rock climbing, mountain biking, etc? Some people enjoy these things. Personally, I have zero interest in such things. But humans do far stupider things all the time than run from bulls.

booze, dope, testosterone & a weak mind.

Why sky dive, scuba dive, do iron man enduros, hike among bears and cats, swim with sharks or run with bulls - all for adrenaline and the feeling of being alive, even if only for a few minutes.....l too many people go through life dominated by a fear of injury and death ... others thrive on it

@ShadowAmicus

Since age 21, I have averaged 200-300 miles/year hiking with 45,000 to 66,000 feet of elevation gain.

In 41 years of hiking in the mountains, I saw two cougars and one small bear in the Olympic Mountains in my 20s.

The exception was backpacking in Yellowstone National Park. No surprise there.

At Yellowstone, Grizzly bears were standing in the river, scooping out salmon and gorging themselves. We pounded pots and pans and yelled. They ignored us.

some of these other activities such as sky-diving ( which i have done) require some skill.

@callmedubious I would imagine a bit of dexterity and above average mobility would be handy in a bull run - not going to be many walking stick users hobbling along

@LiterateHiker but any time you are alone, you could face danger from a hungry bear, cougar, etc

@ShadowAmicus

Why are you so afraid of bears and cougars attacking? You are wildly exaggerating the danger. It has never happened to me or any hiking partners.

The Pacific rattler is non-aggressive. Just don't step on it.

I NEVER hike alone. What if I get injured or lost?

There is no one to provide first aid or go for help.

@ShadowAmicus ,
dexterity & mobility? all they're doing is running ahead of the bulls. just like the gazelles run ahead of the lions.

@callmedubious exactly - the ones that limp, stagger or just run slower are the ones that die

@callmedubious, @LiterateHiker not at all worried about the bears or cougars - It is like flying, I know it is very unlikely any problem will occur - but when it does the consequences can be severe

In the NECK? That is horrifying to even think about.

In 2004 I did a bicycle trip from Bilboa, Spain to St. Malo France. The day that I hit the turn off to Pamplona was the dayvprior to the running. An event I always wanted to do. After deliberation at the crossroads i continued onto Biarritz. My decision was primarily based on the travel schedule I set for myselfI sometimes regret that decision, sometimes not..

It’s such a cruel “sport.” I privately rejoice (at the same time hoping the “victims” recover, because I’m not a total a-hole) when the bulls have their short-lived moment of revenge.

I am a huge asshole . Don't give a damn about them . Find another sport to kill selves I say , and leave the animals alone .

Exactly. They deserve whatever revenge the poor animal can exact as far as I'm concerned.

I worry that the bulls might break a horn.

There are just some people who want that rush. I think it's ridiculous, but to each their own.

Every year there are way more hiking related fatalities than from the running of the bulls. Just saying. [skyaboveus.com]

@Happy_Kilbot

Millions of hikers vs. a few hundred "Run with the Bull" participants.

Apples to oranges.

@LiterateHiker I suppose, but only because nature is way more dangerous on account of our species spent 200,000 years ravenged by it until about 12,000 years ago we formed our first societies and and slowly worked our way up to our current pinnacle of development, allowing us to, among other things, run from bulls on the streets of Pamplona or wander around an undeveloped mountain without risk of societal collapse.

Obviously America is not sending their fastest runners.......

Hopefully "thigh" is a euphemism for his wedding tackle, and therefore his ability to pass on "stupidity" genes.
Every year stupid people get gored - it's Spain's contribution to improving the human gene pool.

It is called testosterone, an incredibly powerful force driving men to do foolish things. Most of us survive these things, but some don't.

Looking for a Darwin award ?

I actually cher when the bull scores. Stupid people do stupid things and no one should feel for them when bad things happen.
Years ago a close friend went to Pamplona to participate in this. When he returned one arm was all messed up. He told everyone he fell when running. Later the truth came out. He was at a bar, got drunk, fell broke a glass of beer he was carrying and fell on it. So much for Mr. Macho.

@JackPedigo

Too funny! Send him a Darwin award.

@LiterateHiker No, alas, Jack's friend is ineligible for that highly selective distinction. Darwin Awardees must at the least eliminate their reproductive organs, if not outright off themselves, and do so prior to reproduction. These are tough criteria, achievable by only first-class morons. 😉

@LiterateHiker But he's still alive and even though he's in his late 70's, overweight and bent over he is still chasing women and who knows what else. He doesn't live in the US but is a long time ex-pat in Germany.

Machoism. The desire to live in a primitive state of mind... “when Men where men”. (cough cough)

Nominate them for the Darwin awards.

Yes it is a thrill but if you get hurt one finds out how big of an asshole to do it and oh yes definitly Darwin Award material

I never feel badly for idiots who do this kind of stuff.
I'm generally disappointed that they survive.

They all deserve Darwin awards if you ask me.

Thrill seekers. More testosterone than iq.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:371170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.