Agnostic.com

26 22

I cut 13 inches of hair yesterday. I try to cut and donate my hair once a year or so since it grows super fast.
But this is the shortest my hair has been in ages! It’s not the hair cut I wanted but it grows quick so I will deal. (The stylist was extremely talkative and apparently cannot talk and work at the same time. So this took 2 hours...just for a cut....)

I miss my long hair but it was time to donate πŸ™‚

Anyone else donate hair? I rotate donating to Wigs for Kids and Locks of Love.

MeriMaat 5 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a wonderful thing to do!!! Good on ya!
Btw, your hair doesn't look too short at all. It's cute AF.

As a cancer patient I received a free natural hair wig composed of hair of generous donors like you. THANKS for caring about those who lose their hair through chemo and radiation. Pantene was the sponsor of The Cancer Society's Wig Program nationally 6 year ago.I have been in remission for 5 years now. Glad your hair grows fast-LOL.

I grow my hair out to around mid back or lower and then decide I want something different and chop it all off--usually up to my cheeks. I've always donated my hair to Locks of Love.

Mea Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

I admire you and I am proud of you.

My quasi son in law (not married to my daughter but long term partner) grows out his hair every year for locks of love. My hair never grows to the required length, it is very fine, very curly, and a hot mess when I don't keep it short.

@Katastrophe1969 Thank you, Just got my quarterly trim, will post pictures the next time I put makeup on, which at the rate I'm going will be sometime after the next quarterly trim.

@Katastrophe1969 Thank you!!

That's wonderful and I think you are lovely. In my younger days my hair was down to my shoulder blades but alas, I'm currently folicly challenged πŸ™‚

I let my hair grow down to my shoulder blade for a while. In the end it just made me too hot durign the summer, and was too much trouble to take care of. Thoght of finating it, but most of it grew out while I ws on cancer meds (for leukemia,, which seems to be gone now), so it didn't look all that healthy.

I do the same and my staff does also. We donate to "locks of love" and it is very rewarding. People like yourself are genuine heroes and I applaud you for doing what you have done.

Thats good of you supporting them and your hair grows fast good lol

oncology patients are grateful for wig donors ... good job

I’m greedy and selfish with my fur.

You are a champ, a young friend of mine had hair down to her bum, she pulled up next to me one day and I ddin't recognise her, it was all gone.
Like you she dontaed. Her best friend had died of cancer, she felt so good being able to do something to help.
Good for you, it will help someone.

I like your donating. That alone makes you beautiful.

That’s great and your hair looks good too. I’m sure your hair is going to make a Someone very happy

Locks of love gets a lot of flack for charging for their wigs while wigs for kids never charges the recipients. I'm not sure why Locks of Love charges people and there may be a valid reason, but I have researched them enough to verify that their service is not free.

JimG Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

Its the Pantene Locks of Love" which is free to all cancer patients. No charge-sponsored by American Cancer Society. They also have a free Makeup program. Free makeup and cosmetics.

@sassygirl3869 I think Pantene's charity is "Beautiful Lengths" not Locks of Love.

@MeriMaat I think your donation is commendable. Please don't take my initial reply as criticism.

@sassygirl3869 "Look Good Feel Better" was the program 8 years ago here. It was ACS. They give away free makeup to Cancer patients and also free wigs. Also taught us how to turn a T-shirt into a hair wrap in case of sudden hair loss.

@RavenCT you're right that's the program I was in "Looks Good Feel Better" and the wigs were free from a loca llspecialty shop through ACS too. Pantene on the box of the wig but they had all kinds of boxes.

@MeriMaat Okay, thanks for the link. I didn't want to bash them unfairly, and I did say that there may be a valid reason for the practice, and your link explained that satisfactorily:
"Locks of Love’s web site addresses the matter of wig costs to recipients, noting that hairpieces are provided free to families who lack the means to purchase them. For others, the hairpieces are available on a sliding scale of prices depending upon their ability to pay: β€œWe provide hairpieces and repairs free of charge or on a sliding scale based on the financial need of those responsible for the children."

They also just outright sell the hair too. I will never donate there again.

My daughter cut her hair for the first time ever (she’s 7) for the sole purpose of donating it.

I have nothing to donate, but I have a friend who does this regularly. Very generous of both of you.

Do you not like the length, or the style? For what it's worth (which I realize isn't much, since it's your hair) I think it looks nice. And it's great you donate your hair. I think that's a wonderful thing to do.

@MeriMaat Ah, that's unfortunate. Did she say why she didn't do as you asked?

Erm not so much lol unless you want what looks like grey pubes on your head

Erm not so much lol unless you want what looks like grey pubes on your head

Oh wow, you are awesome!

Monad Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

You are beautiful! Good that you are donating your hair for a cause. I know many women who just sell it for profit.

Roman Level 5 Mar 16, 2018

I have twice to Locks of Love and a friend clued me in that they make recipients pay for those wigs. They sell the hair too. I have hair down to my ass and I would go to Wigs for Kids if I were younger but at near 57 I think I will find an older lady with cancer in need of it and donate straight to that person.

@MeriMaat as you age the texture changes and I have an awful lot of grey now and the texture that goes with it. Other than that it is baby fine and thick.

@MeriMaat Probably not but the texture would not be the same as a childs head of hair is naturally.

Im curious - how much is your hair worth?

gater Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

"The Revealer."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37523
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.