Agnostic.com

16 3

Glasses: Help Me Out Folks, I'm new at this.

So, I'm at the stage with my eyesight, that I've picked up some weak over-the-counter reading glasses. I use them primarily at work, when I'm reading small print, working on the computer, or writing out a bill or message.

In the morning, I can glance from the computer screen to a piece of paper on my desk no problem, but if I glance at say... the calendar on the wall, it's blurry. By about noon, I can look at the calendar without it being blurry. Note - I seem to have a constant light headache.
Needless to say, once I get up from my desk, I have to take my glasses off, or navigate a blurry world. When I initially take them off my eyes are way out of focus and takes them a moment to adjusts - a little bit of vertigo too.

*My questions for anyone who cares to read this far are😘
Is this normal? Do I just have to accept this as a new reality? Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I'm not doing that I should be doing?
Also, I heard someone say to not use glasses for as long as you can, because once you start, it quickens the process... Is that true??

scurry 9 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Properly fitted glasses can reduce eye strain. In some situations, prescription glasses can correct eye problems. OTC glasses are good for improving some reading tasks. I consider my eyes important enough to me that I prefer professional help in taking good care of them. But remember. as in any therapeutic process, it is a team effort using the professional assistance with the patient leading the effort.

Agreed! Well said.
I do visit my eye doctor regularly and it was with discussions with him that lead me to try the OTC glasses in the first place. He predicted I would need them relatively soon and suggested that it was completely normal as we age.
At my last visit, i didn't need a prescription; that may change on my next.
Thanks for your comment. 🙂

We are all different. I have used over the counter reading glasses now for over 10 years and I'm 71 years old. I drive for a living and only wear the glasses when I'm doing paperwork of some sort. My glases while working hang around my neck on a strap. At home they are in a case near my computers. I deliberately avoid prescription glasses and will for as long as I can. They might be an answer for you. I cannot say. Nothing for me is blurry. I do fine without my glasses except that I can't see well enough to read without them. Also, I wear cheap OTC type glasses without any problems.

That was my hope as well. I don't have an insurance plan and I know prescriptions can get expensive. My eye doctor was the one who, at my last visits, suggested that the OTC glasses might be in my future. I may just be (slowly) getting used to them, or maybe they are too strong (or weak?) Or maybe, as others have suggested, that my eyes have changed at different rates.
I'm fairly certain I just have to figure it out and find the ones that work for me.
Thank very much for your comment.
🙂

As others here, I recommend that you visit an optometrist.

Also, not wearing glasses to strengthen your eyes is, unfortunately, a myth that, ufortunately again, I believed. Basically, eyesballs are not like "muscles". Near sightedness or far sightedness are cased by the shape of eyeballs.

Disclaimer: I started wearing glasses when I was 15. I had Lasik in my late 20s. Have not had to wear glasses or contacts since.

Ah-ha!!! That's what I thought and that makes total sense!! It totally seemed crazy to me that wearing glasses would be a bad thing. Crazier still considering the person who told me, works for my eye doctor.
Glad your Lasik worked out! I've heard that it doesn't for everyone. I suppose some conditions are more prone to having better results while other may not even be operable (and some in between).
Amazing what can be done!
Thanks very much for the vid.
Cheers.

Welcome to middle age, it happens as we get older, to some people. Any other glass wearing in your family? You should have your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist..

Indeed - Thanks - I do see an eye doctor every year and yes... he did predict this. Ugg.
I don't know my family history with glasses (or much else), unfortunately.
My life is just full of surprises! 😀
But I suppose that's true for all of us. 😉
Thanks for your comment.

@scurry YW sis..

Since I started wearing glasses several years ago I have to get new lenses every two years. Do get your eyes checked.

Will do for sure. I know it's important.
Just another 'perk' of getting older, I guess.
Thanks. 🙂

@scurry Ain't it the truth!

I'm not sure why this is such an issue.
Go see an eye doctor, get glasses if you need them.

Not so much "such an issue" as looking for some feedback from others who may know more on the topic and wish to share.
I do go see my eye doctor and just a heads up - but I did get glasses.
Thanks for your comment.

I,d see an optician if I were you .... you might need glasses .
I don't think wearing them quickens any process and I,ve been wearing them full time for the last 53 years .

Good to know - and reassuring too.
Yes - will definitely check in with my eye doctor.
Thanks very much! 🙂

the over the counter glasses are magnification ony, they don't take into account any irregularities in your eyes/vision. I got new glasses 4 weeks back, after eyes surgery last year. So why am I sitting here with my over the counter magnifying glasses on? and why to I use a higher magnification pair of over the counters at night to read?
They are more comfortable and seem to see better, I should wear the prescription ones, for the sake of my eyes.

Ha - Yes - you're absolutely right. Good point about maginication only.
That could definitely be a big part of it.
And we're all creatures of habit. That in itself might be part of my problem.
Thanks!!

Yeap see an eye doctor asap. I was having headaches and then one day driving home, the world titled. Scared the shit outta me so went to my doctor to see if my hypoglycemia was the issue. Nope, the doctor checked out everything and said see the eye doctor.

Needed glasses, got them. no more headaches and dizziness until I needed a new script. I could never get the cheaters (otc glasses) to work for me but I wear tri-focals.

Awe, Man... That's not what I wanted to hear. LOL - But you're probably right.
I was at my eye doctor not too long ago, so I'll have to see when he can get me in again.
Thanks. 🙂

@scurry I know. They can be inconvenient as hell to wear but headaches are worse. That incident where everything just tilted the the left while driving, could have been horrible had it been rush hour.or had I had less experience as a driver.

I don't wear my glasses when I'm not working and people do not recognize me outside of work which can be nice when living in a smaller town. I wear my hair up, my glasses and a uniform. I have walked past people that work in the same building and they do not recognize me when I am leaving.

@SherryMartin You're like Clark Kent/Superman!! As you say, might be an up side to it all. 🙂
Yes, will her checked and figure it out.
Cheers.

Only use the reading glasses for close reading. If you need to see far away and then intemittantly read something let the glasses slide down your nose so when you look down at a printed page you are using the glasses....but when you need to see something far away peer over the top frame of the glasses. Or you can purchase bifocals.

Oooo - that sounds like a neat trick.. I may have to practice. 😉
thank you! 🙂

@scurry I'm sure you will get the hang of it.

@nicknotes practice makes perfect, right? ?

@scurry I started wearing reading glasses to read the newspaper about 15 years ago. I see fine for distance.

See an ophthalmologist! 'Nuf said.

did - do every year - he said I was ok last time.
Asked if I had purchased over the counters yet.
Last time I was able to still say no...

So many things could be happening. Things change in our bodies very quickly.

@tioteo Agreed - can only see my eye doctor once a year - rules n such. things may certainly have changed, you're very right. Will make an appointment when I can.

Make an appointment with you internist or family doctor. If a referral comes from him, most insurance will pay. I did say "most."

If i had your condition for more that a few days,m I would be at the ophtalmologist so fast it would make your head swim. Thoe symptoms can have a lot to do with your blood sugar level. I am a diabetic (all my life) and the whole thing sounds so familiar. How about you add a little snack, like a banana, in the morning and see if that alleviates the symptoms, especially the headache. If so, don't rest there. Get a gucose tolerance test done and go from there.

Very Good Point!! and you are very right in bringing it up!!
I have my blood tested regularly for a few things - glucose being one (Iron being another)
and so far so good on that front.
I don't get the symptoms unless the glasses are involved. If I'm not at work - or specifically doing desk work, i should say - then I'm fine. (well - as fine as any of us are. ha ha)
But I totally have snacks throughout the day!!
Thanks again!! 🙂

See an eye Doctor and get prescription glasses.

Yes your vision can vary during the day. However to be having headaches worries me and a good eye exam will tell you if there is some secondary condition such as diabetes etc...

A yearly exam is required for good eye health. I've been vision impared since 5th grade (ie no leaves on trees just a big green blur).

Also I use "Zenni Optical" online. My former Neuro. recommended them. You can buy prescription glasses fitted to you individually for less than OTC readers. There are many online companies like this now.

You simply need your prescription from the Dr and your "Pupillary Distance" as well.

The vertigo may have to do with having a secondary correction to your vision or that the lenses you have just aren't proper for you. Eyes do not often lose vision at the exact same rate.

If money is an issue contact your local Lions Club. They will pay for treatment and glasses. It's what they do.

I agree - I see an eye doctor regularly. (even more important now that i'm getting older-ugg)
It seemed to me that my eye doctor assumed I would go to over the counter glassed first and didn't seem worried. Seemed to think that was the next logical step. (age!)
I have no troubles seeing anything else, other than small type - reading either on the computer or paper.
The symptoms seem to only happen after I've been wearing the glassed (reading and what-not) for several hours. then the slight vertigo when I take them off to walk around the office.
I don't typically wear them outside of work, and I don't have the symptoms (although I have to squint to see the small text).
I think you've hit at lease one of the nails on the head... I think my vision corrects itself to the glasses that maybe aren't just right for me, and that's causing some of the problems.
Never heard of Zenni - will look them up when the time comes.
Thanks very much. Very helpful!! And a little reassuring too. 🙂

Have you been to the optometrist? I've been wearing glasses since I was ten. I was that child still reading at 10:00 with the flashlight under the blanket. My mom said trying to read without sufficient light quickened my vision loss. I've always used prescription glasses/contacts. So, I have no answers to your questions but my only offer of advice is to go to an optometrist ASAP.

Yes, for sure. I go see my optometrist on a regular basis. And I'm not opposed to wearing glasses. I've only recently had trouble with the small text and based in his predictions, tried the over the counter style reading glasses.
I suspect that my troubles might just be finding the right strength and getting used to wearing them. Might also be, as others have suggested, that my eyes are changing at different rates and that I might need a prescription.
Sigh such is life. 😉
Thanks very much for you comment.

You could be near-sighted too-need glasses for distance too. See an eye doctor please.

Will definitely make an appointment.
Thanks very much!! 🙂

As you get older the round lense in your eye witch looks like a clear marble gets less flexible and flexing of this is how you focus. just buckle up and go for an eye test. the glasses don't look bad on you.

Awe, thanks. 😉
Yup. I have no issues with the idea of wearing glasses and regularly see my eye doctor. He told me I didnt need glasses at my last visit... But as, we all know, things change. Oh the joys of getting older.
Thanks again.
Cheers

you're more than welcome. I actually like glasses on a woman and I think they suit you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.