Agnostic.com

21 7

Had an interview this morning for a position in my field that at first I didn't think I wanted. But after the interview I think it might be a decent job with growth potential.

My hang up is, it is a remote location and I would not be able to live too far away from the site, which means I would have to move to that location within a few miles. It's a beautiful spot, but again at least an hour or more drive from a small city with little actitivity.

I am also waiting for a reply from a position I interviewed for last week, not in my field but still sort of related. It would be closer to a major metro area and might be interesting work.

I guess I am looking at pros and cons and asking for ideas on what I should consider. Heck, haven't even been offered either one, but really hope to know before I get that call.

Any help appreciated and thanks.

Akfishlady 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whatever your choice, I recommend minimizing commute time as much as possible, it is a waste of time, money and resources.

Other comments; night life is over rated, but then a car trip every time you run out of eggs can be a bummer.

I am familiar with the area. Since it is on WA Hwy 12 and not too far up in the mountains yet, I wouldn't consider it extremely remote. Hwy 12 is a major mountain pass through way, so it is maintained well. In general the Hwy supports transport and tourism. For that reason, pubs and eateries will be plentiful as well as automobile services. Other than that, it would support a rural life style. I prefer rural over urban, but that's just me. It sounds like I would love to have your skills and potential job. Especially since you could live in Morton/Randall with almost no commute.

BTW, Cruise control is a wunnerful, wunnerful thing, it dramatically reduces my speeding tickets ... just sayin.

Good Luck!!

I think the only thing I'd be asking myself is, "do I want to be in that remote a location?"
Although, the speeding ticket could also be a contributing factor.
How many of those are you willing to risk getting?

Read the blog Askamanager.org. She gives good advice on all things job hunting, job keeping, resumes, cover letters, office politics, office culture, managing and HR. And she's got some really funny stuff. And good luck!

For me, being a bit remote isn't a dealbreaker — I prefer the quiet solitude of a lower-population area — but if that's especially important to you, then you may not be happy no matter how much you enjoy the job itself. I've known a lot of people who really enjoy the work they do, but they eventually quit because they can't deal with the location.

A remote location an hour's drive from a small city sounds perfect to me! I think it'd be best to go for whichever one you think will be more interesting - and just see where it takes you.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

I would be a little hesitant about 1 hrs drive from city or town. If this is to be your long term work...you would be too isolated without a partner. Even partners, need more people in their life! For a short time, it might work, but not long term. If you were 25-30 mins from a town, that might work, but you need people around you to interact with on a regular basis. Best of luck.

What ever you take don't move for at least 6 mos. You have to feel them out as well as they do you and I mean by that time if its good or going good you can scope out different digs and not have to take something because its close or the only one. Figure in your personal happiness and don't let them tell you how to live.

I would have to say that this is one of those instances where you're going to have to rely on your feelings. No amount of logic and reasoning is going to make you comfortable with a job unless you feel a great passion for it deep inside. Ask your self which position is going to make you feel the passionate, the most fulfilled. But one must also realize that every job isn't always what it's portrayed as being. After 6 months or so you may decide that it isn't what you expected. Follow your heart. That's probably your best chance at happiness.

Balance, metro areas are nice, but traffic can be a nightmare and rather expensive to live. Remote areas have a lot more to offer than they used to. I would check it out thoroughly, you may be surprised

Brainstorm a long list of pros and cons for each one.. Write it down and put it in a drawer overnight. Look at it again and make additions. Weight each point and go from there. Good luck with either one

What does your gut tell you? Simplistic, yes, but when I have gone against that feeling I have always regretted the decision. That's all I got,except to wish you the best of luck.

I like Randle, WA - if it's more in your field that's what I'd opt for and give it a try. Maybe you can take weekly trips into the larger (still small) towns for entertainment, shopping, socialization.

Might be a fun experience. I think it's easier to get to know people more fully in a small town atmosphere than in a more metro area.

Let me see, pro's: you are a biologist and you get to do actual field studies, on your profile you enjoy outdoor activity something you are going to get paid to enjoy, living where there is no rat race, you get to explore a whole new area of restruants and bars if you are into those.
Con's: I don't know you well enough to know those.
Ask yourself how necessary it is to have those conveniances and connections you have where you live and whether moving to a new location for this job is worth the lose of them.

Sometimes don’t you wish you could “let go and let god?” It would be so much easier to pretend someone else was in control. Sigh, sadly some of us are familiar with reality.

I live 1.5 hours away from the city and run a livestock farm. I used to drive to work on a daily basis and finally had to give it up. I was a temp, so no benefits and when they took away the free parking for temps I had to leave. They didnt understand that paying $8 a day for gas and another $8 for parking plus taxes meant I was spending 13 hours a day with drive time for what amounted to $35 after expenses. I get you won't be driving that far to work but if you want to socialize or go shopping it gets tedious making such a long drive. Tedious AND expensive.

When it comes to promotions , remember , " Out of sight , out of mind . "

I am divorced partly (mostly?) because of the remote area we lived at. I HATED every second of it. My ex loved (still loves) it. There was no compromise, so I am in the city (small city) and he is still out in the sticks with turkeys. So, you can guess MY answer, but maybe you like turkeys more than I. lol

I would be poor rather than live in the sticks again. I can say that because I really did choose to struggle rather than stay in the sticks where I didn't have to worry about money.

Sounds to me that you would prefer the position near the major metropolitan area.

Scarecrows get positions in there fields.

From the way you worded your post, I assume isolated locations don't appeal to you. If so, no reason to court early burn out and take a position you know you can't sustain. But if you want the first position for other reasons, maybe your employer would let you work from home, if that's feasible.

I would base my decision on where I wanted to live. A job is a job but if you don't like where you are now why not make the move?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.