Agnostic.com

35 3

Last call finds us all

Curious on others thoughts about this, why do so many people run to a faith in their remaining years or even on ones death bed?

Khud35 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's called covering all their bases, just in case. 🙂

Because they are afraid. They don't really know what is true or not and are hedging their bets.

my wife's uncle just passed away (why am i saying passed away?--he died) at 101. he had all his marbles right up 100. we had few conversations about religion. but i know he was a believer. at no time when he started to decline precipitously did he express more faith. he never asked to speak to a minister so far as i know.

Instinct from religious upbringing

bobwjr Level 10 July 22, 2019

They are scared shitless.

The possibility of the mind's ability to reason well apparently diminishes for some people as they age and suffer from brain function impairment. Fear and ego annihilation probably enter into it. Many older people feel more insecure as their abilities deteriorate both physical and mental. Woody Allen expressed that uncertainty and fear when he said, " I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

The deathbed confession of a famous evangelist of my youth went the other way--: he claimed he never really knew whether God exists and that his whole career had been hypocritical. (Of course, the faithful claimed that he had already “lost his mind” when he said that.) Also I heard that Mother Teresa made a similar agnostic confession toward the close of her life. Can anyone confirm this?

"I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older. Then it dawned on me. They're cramming for their final exam." George Carlin

To me this simply screams bat shit FEAR.

they get afraid because none of us know what is ahead silly but understandable we all have the illusion of control and to not know is scary like jumping in a dark hole not knowing where the bottom is or what its made of

because they're scared. we assume that our consciousness dies with our body and they don't know how to deal with that. it's not true, but we don't know any better.

@maturin1919 awareness doesnt die with our body.

@maturin1919 awareness is all one big morass. we're only individuals by the illusion created in these minds. absent those we go back to the ether.

@maturin1919 I don't see it that way. I believe as awareness our only sensation is change - sensed as oscillation.

@maturin1919 yep, there's not. you're right. yet I stand by my thoughts.

@maturin1919 don't we all?

@maturin1919 as far as we understand right now. I am all for blackboxing certain items pending further scientific discovery - including theoretical physics. Faraday visualized magnetic fields and their interactivity without being able to do the math. Einstein could visualize the physics but needed help with the math. I'm not willing to concede this as our final form yet given the fact that the universe operates in billion year increments and we only tally 70 years in this form. And if I'm wrong I miss nothing. I'll be just as angry as I was prior to being born.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377739
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.