Agnostic.com

33 9

Okay so I post quite openly on social media. With the death of Hawkings, I have been especially fiesty. So I post to FB some anti-christian things. My sister (religious) messages me (to my cell, not through FB) about how it bothered her. How should I go about this conversation?

Update: I posted the FB that must have upset her. I do not even personally mention Christians.

Anatheatheist 4 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hawking is dead. He does not "now know the truth about creation." In fact, he knows nothing right now. He does not have an invisible body part that instantly went to meet with an invisible god. This part having now taken over for his dead mind, and it's called a "soul" by the numb believers who just keep on making things up. That is how we have gotten to this point where we are today. The faithful make it all up.
Oh, it offends you. Then don't read it or talk to me about it.

How close are you and your sister? Is this worth your relationship?

Your sister says that she finds your comments hurtful and you continue to discuss how bad christianity and christians are. Is her christianity, and your opposition to it, more important to you than the family relationship that you share? What is the source of your opposition to christianity? If you feel that you were badly treated by one or more religious folk in the past, no current christian is to blame for that, in the sense that they have not affected you. The anger displayed in your comments no doubt is visible to your sister and the fact that her faith is critical to her identity will lead her to experience pain. I don't think most average christians are fixated on hoodwinking others. They truly think that what they believe in is something that everyone should have.

Perhaps you could post anti-Christian stuff in a different venue. Perhaps you could include a headline that says, "Christy don't read this" (or whatever her name is), when you post such material. Perhaps you can talk about events or actions, not just "christians" as a generic term. A minister or priest did this or that, a school or church took these actions, etc. That way you are focused on something that is NOT christianity in general, but on specific issues that may be easier for her to understand.

This is what i had posted that she started texting me about

He was a smart man. Sorry that he’s gone

Who?

@citronella stephen hawking

It's a war on bad ideas, while most Christians have abandoned many biblical bad ideas, but they still have some work to do and as long as some continue to hold to these bad ideas others will be culpable for their overt silence on the matter. Ironic how they are easily affend by criticism, but don't care one bit that their venom not only offends, but poisons.

Apologize for any upset and note that causing distress was unintentional and move on.

Tell her to block you as you both have views that are very differnt and you can keep in contact other ways like she did with the phone.

So to do a comparison here. There is toxic masculinity and then there is masculinity. I will call out toxic masculinity. Then I will masculinity (like men being good dads)

Anyways if you wanted to compromise you could start saying toxic Christianity. It’s a little different because people choose to be Christian while men don’t choose to be men. Just an option.

Myah Level 6 Mar 15, 2018

Tangent:
I did notice she used more „I“ statements than you. Apparently that is supposed to be beneficial in handling conflict. Maybe instead of „you“ statements like when you said „your religion“ etc, you could start saying „I“ statements too, like „I feel the need to defend myself“

I shouldnt have to compromise considering i think all religion is bad.

@VisforVicious13

Yep and that isn’t a bad approach. I was just trying to provide an option since a lot of people already mentioned setting boundaries.

With your approach I would suggest setting boundaries:

“I know you are upset, but I hope you understand it is not directed at you. It is on my page, and I feel comfortable putting it on my page. I would not tell you to take your religious posts down on your page. I hope you can show me the same respect of my of my page.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.