Agnostic.com

30 13

For the last time, don't ask a stranger "What are you?"

"As a biracial person...I have fielded this inquisition — “So what are you?” — several hundred times," Jordan Carter wrote. "It’s not as though the topic wasn’t already on my mind. I’ve been acutely aware of my own racial identity every single day of my life, as I imagine is the case for many minorities.

"I have most certainly felt the otherness that comes from feeling too white for some spaces, too black for others. People have felt free to comment on my otherness, too. “Oreo” was a nickname used so frequently in my youth that it became, in a warped way, a term of endearment."

[huffpost.com]

My daughter Claire is half-Latina and half-white. Claire is tired of being pestered with the question, "What are you?" Claire was also called an "Oreo" in school. It is hurtful to be treated as an "other," that you don't belong.

Photos:

1. Claire, 6-1/2, was a gypsy for Halloween. Sick of taking pictures.

2. Claire, 29, married Matt, 34, at Lake Chelan in Sept. 2018.

LiterateHiker 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Half Quebecer, half Acadian, but when I bang my bare toes on something, I'm 100% Tabarnak!

I’m Caucasian with blonde hair....no one has ever asked me this, it’s ridiculous to ask anyone that question

When I was younger, I had very dark hair and always had a pretty dark tan so was often asked that same question.

I always responded with " Human. Female"

Having grown up in a mixed culture, i feel your pain. I was not considered Anglo, because even though I was a very light skinned redhead, my last name was very decidedly cajun. The Cajuns (outside my father's family) didn't recognize me as one of them since I didn't have olive skin, dark hair, or speak French and not a Catholic plus no one heard of a red headed Cajun. This was in the 50s and 60s, in SW Louisiana Catholics and protestants did not mix, and neither did Cajuns and Anglos.

If you didn't tell me she was mixed, I would think she was just a tanned white chick. XD

@demifeministgal

Women are not "chicks." Claire is half-white, half Latina.

@LiterateHiker I have heard women called way worse.. if you bristle at chicks then the c-word must give you an aneurysm XD

@LiterateHiker It's gonna be a generational divide... women from my generation call themselves bitches and sl*ts to try and reclaim those words... your daughter is gorgeous... I always think mixed/bi racial people look amazing.

@demifeministgal

How old are you?

@demifeministgal

Thank you for saying my daughter is gorgeous! I love her so much.

@LiterateHiker I'm a millenial 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:378233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.