Agnostic.com

8 13

Googly Eyes on God

Why wouldn’t we put googly eyes on God? 👀

We are experts at interfacing with humans. It’s our superpower.
We are capable of transferring some of that skill to our relationship with domesticated animals. It becomes more distant with plants, but we’ve all known people who name their plants, or even their automobiles.
As objects become further removed from a living or moving thing, it becomes harder for us to relate to it, unless we anthropomorphize it - make it like us.
Kids cartoons put googly eyes on inanimate objects like rocks, or vegetable matter like trees, in order to turn them into relatable characters in the story.
It is human nature to conceive of objects in our world as having agency, and intention, and eyes - like us. We, in effect, put googly eyes on everything!
And we don’t limit that habit even to material objects. We are master conceivers. We are manipulators of abstractions. We devise abstract concepts about our world, we name them, and we give them googly eyes. Why wouldn’t we give googly eyes to our gods?
We are capable of conceiving of the collective natural forces and objects of the universe as a singular “entity” and why wouldn’t we do to that entity what we do to everything else? Why wouldn’t we give it a name, and slap a pair of googly eyes on it?

skado 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those actually look like they belong on Garfield when you said googly eyes I was hoping for the ones the woman would put on in a oh John, oh Marcia, Monty Python skit.

I agree

Pull my finger?

Anyone remember reading "The Great Gatsby"?

"But above the grey land and the spasms of bleak dust
which drift endlessly over it, you perceive, after a moment,
the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg. The eyes of Doctor T. J.
Eckleburg are blue and gigantic—their retinas are one yard
high. They look out of no face but, instead, from a pair of
enormous yellow spectacles which pass over a nonexistent
nose. Evidently some wild wag of an oculist set them there
to fatten his practice in the borough of Queens, and then
sank down himself into eternal blindness or forgot them
and moved away. But his eyes, dimmed a little by many
paintless days under sun and rain, brood on over the solemn dumping ground."

Ya know, taking things too seriously is the problem with todays religious caretakers. Thanks for the giggle.

Dude I can't even articulate how amusing I found your topic. I love the idea of goggly eyes on inanimate objects, especially some preconceived all powerful god. Your topic: as well written as it is, gave me just the little giggle that I needed to start my day.
Thank you for your observation.

I don't know about you, but I personally don't waste my time even thinking about nonexistent things, like gods or unicorns, for example, and that is precisely one of the reasons that I do what I want in public as long as it is legal and privately I do whatever the funk I want. Who is going to prevent you from doing what you want, the way you want it at the time of your choosing?

Hear, Hear... Hip, Hip... Chin, Chin.

Unicorns aren’t real?!? 😱😭

@Apunzelle they are actually real but only if you glue a single horn to a jackass.

To be short. Religion is anthropomorphisim of nature.

True to a degree. And it leaves me with the image of John Cleese, breaking the branch of a tree to beat his broken down car with. And then turning round and using the same branch to beat himself, for his 'sin', of caring too much about reaching his destination, because he sees his feelings as something separate from himself, and something he can manipulate. Sadly that is all too true, and still the main activity of religions.

Wise words and observation!

@Austin-Cambridge Thank you.

Ah! So that's how one finds the Lord!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:378963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.