Agnostic.com

20 22

Trust

Are humans trustworthy?
If it’s always a risk, why do you take that risk?

AMGT 8 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One has to Trust, but always know it can end. If you trust someone with your life, and absolutely, there is a chance you will be disappointed. Humans are complicated and Trust is relative to the mind and thinking of the individual. There is always a point where trust will be broken by an honest. good person. It just depends on where that breaking point comes.

I keep in mind that I am not the only one who is truseorthy.

I give someone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong or right.

Absolutely. Some people you can trust as far as you can throw. Some people can be trusted to always fuck up. You can trust pretty much everyone to make a mistake here or there, some everywhere. If you are lucky you’ll find a few with the same type of heart and values that you can mostly depend on, who when they do falter, it was not malicious and they’ll do what it takes to make it up to you and be there again.

I often say outload that I do not like people, my daughter hears this and asks me "You don't like me?" to which I tell her "you are not people, you are my daughter"

The smarter any animal is the more it is able to trick and decieve and manipulte, we see this in many animals species but none so much as humans because we are without a doubt the smartest most caniving most deceptive and the most untrustworth. But that doesn't mean all the people all the time. Most people are very pleasent and actually try NOT to be assholes.

All trust is NOT equal. I absolutely agree with the comment that trust is earned, not automatic. But there is also the important distinction to be made between...

( trusting someone's intentions and goodwill vs. trusting that their judgment and knowledge are infallible.)

For the former, many people have quickly and easily gained my trust. For the latter, no one, including myself can do that perfectly.

Also, trust is an action rather than merely a feeling. Trusting involves taking some risk. We have to take some degree of risk to even give the other person the chance to earn our trust. If we can't trust at all, we shut people out, and the result, sadly, is that we remain alone. If we are healthy about it, not foolish, we will risk trusting in situations that, if we are disappointed, we can accept the disappointment without feeling devastated. As the other person rewards us for placing that trust in them, it affords us more reason for confidence to extend even more trust as opportunity arises. Not risk-taking for the sake of being risky; that would be foolish; but risk that reasonably promises something positive to be gained

Yes its the nature of our nature.

Without trust it's too lonely. I'll always put myself out there.

@AMGT Mosdef

I have had people in my life whom I could trust. Only two of them let me down. I'm good with that

It boils down to either they have not demonstrated that they can be trusted, or they have demonstrated that they cannot be trusted.

JimG Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

Trust is hard to come by, but when it is there, there is nothing better.

I think we trust because it’s the more cost effective route. The functional human world works on trust. Democracy and peace depend entirely on trust. Any reasonable interpersonal functionality depends on trust. Force and violence are massively inefficient. If we get to the point we have to arm ourselves to go to the grocery store, (or school) civilization will have turned into chaos. Trust makes order possible. With trust there is a risk of betrayal; without trust, betrayal is a foregone assumption.

skado Level 9 Mar 16, 2018

I want to agree and I generally do agree with what you've commented.
but it certainly isn't cost effective to trust that guy on the phone who says he's calling from Microsoft and needs your computer password so he can log on and fix the glitch that has been reported at his end.
Trust only works when you're dealing with trustworthy people. Skepticism and critical thinking are key to most situations.
Although, as I said, I don't disagree with what your comment, and I tend to err on the side of trust as much as anyone.

@scurry That's right; trust doesn't require us to abandon our good sense.

As a young adult my hormones dictated that I seek out a partner for the horizontal mambo. Now that I have been relieved of that burden I no longer find it a compunction to seek out the companionship of humans. In my previous interactions with the species I found very few who could be trusted. Actually when I rethink what I just typed, there is no one that I can recall who was trustworthy. What is wrong with me that either my standards are to high with in explicable expectations, or I meet only miscreants? Must be a defect in the species that make us unworthy of trust. Especially in governance.

Well, if you drive you are almost forced to trust other motorists. We trust blindly whenever we go out or to work. Personal boundary trust must be earned, and never taken for granted

It's always a risk, but I think can be mitigated by growing the trust gradually. Trust should be earned.

I usually just find something that doesn't work.....and then I stick with it..........

jasen Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

Trust is a weird thing. It is actually YOU sticking a knife in your own back. I choose to believe everybody until proven otherwise, but not to the point of acting on any information until I am satisfied with the situation. I also don't set up people to lie. We do that often.

How? By asking them to be honest? I always make sure that they know I prefer the truth and I'm not going to judge them for giving it. And yet apparently that's often not enough. I don't get it.

@Neraven We all have private things we would either not like to share, or will share in our own time. When these boundaries are over-stepped, people will lie, or omit. There are so many instances where most people do not want to hear the truth and 'white lies' are expected, but if that white lie is perceived, we get mad at the person who 'white lied'. I don't really do 'white lies', myself...but I pay for it. Often.

@JohnnyThorazine Im not pushing on sensitive stuff, if its something personal then i say 'its totally fine for you not to answer, i understand.' Or better yet, i preface it with 'if i can/may ask' or something of the like.
I don't give out advice much...it kinda sounds like thats where your problems are...?? I can't tell what exactly youre really referring to here. But yeah...my opinion of it being moronic is never gonna change, but hopefully i won't suffer too much from it either.

@Neraven Exactly what I meant. And I wasn't really referring from myself as a reference point. The royal 'we'. As an old punk rocker, telling the truth and 'shaming the devil' is fun as hell. haha. An example that does relate to me that happened not too far back in my history is that I do not share intimate details of past relationships with present relationships as a rule. I have had a few girlfriends pressure me into trying to reveal things, and then accuse me of being dishonest for not sharing. Ugh.

@JohnnyThorazine Personally I don't like closed communication in that regard, but i sort of understand why some wouldnt want to share. My exes are part of whats made me who I am, and so I share. I want to understand my partner in the same way. But thats me, and all of my exes so far, so...you do you i guess lol

Hit it right on the spot. Important thing is what we do about it.

Because we want to be trusted in return? Tough question.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.