Agnostic.com

14 17

LINK American Kids Need Reality, Not Religious-Based Education

I know we know this, but good article

HippieChick58 9 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I consider religion child abuse

Leetx Level 7 Sep 19, 2019

I don't have a problem with teaching religions in school, but teach them all as a world religions course. Let kids see all the various religions and non-religions so they can make their own personal informed choice. Maybe they would all see that religions are not special, and so we don't have to fight about what someone believes.Let everyone believe whatever they want and leave them alone with it. Maybe we can stop trying to convert everyone.

I agree, I think learning about religions as culture is very important.

Or Standardized Testing.

Remove "americans" from the sentence and it's perfect

Edu_0 Level 4 Aug 1, 2019

To many (too many as well) religion is the reality and science is the work of the devil. For myself, religion should be kept for religious studies and away from infecting young minds.
In England, religion is at the heart of education, similar in Scotland too.
Ignorance must be avoided, but far too many humans are happier being stupid. Now you have a POTUS who those people can associate with. He calls himself a genius, but counting to ten without using your fingers does not support his statement.
If you you believe that the world and all the heavens were made by a single superbeing in six days, then use evidence to support your statement. Just because the bible was translated from Latin and Greek into Scots and then into seventeenth century English to make the King James version of a gathering of various texts which were writing of oral traditions of many other languages and dialects, then do it properly. Failing that, then it's all just hearsay, or BOLLOCKS as we in Britain say.

The current reality appears to be Cambridge Analytica and other think tanks using our data against us. DeVos and Trump Stump step in and confuse the hell out of everything. Lies tend to do that and they divide the people. We need to wake up and understand that Bannon and others think the way to rebuild something is to first confuse you and tear down the old model, then build back the one that they want. They are doing that right now.

Obviously for what I have seen lately civics or the constitution etc or something like that needs to be taught. People these days have no idea the power of that document and our constitution. they will vote themselves into slavery if you let them. not just young people. it seems most of the people in this country have no idea what they have

Yup. Reality, better curricula, more clear lesson design, better social support, freedom to choose what to focus on, and better assistance with finding work.

It seems to me that American kids need an hour a day each, in history, geography, social studies, and civics. That would leave an hour a day for mathematics, and an hour of English.
Forget PE. And make them learn cursive writing!

In my opinion PE is very important, as important as mathematics science and English. Those other subject need not be taught every term.

No science then!

@WilliamFleming P.E. as in Physical Education is not everyone's 'cup of tea.' there are those of us who are NOT of a 'sports' mind but are more the studious minded, BUT P.H.E. as in Personal Health/Hygiene Education should be a big part of Education in my opinion.

@Triphid Actually I agree, and that’s what I meant. We need less of the glorified school teams made up of top athletes and more individual lifetime fitness for everyone.

I wanted to be athletic but it’s not in my blood. Walking and biking are things I can do casually. Although very non-athletic I rode a bicycle with camping gear on a 5000 mile tour when I was 65, something those high school jocks of whom I was so jealous could not begin to do at that age.

@WilliamFleming And, as a Teen I would ride my bike plus a home-made trailer filled with food, water and camping gear for often 30+ or more miles each possible weekend just for the sheer pleasure of camping out under the stars, watching the natural world as it behaved and the peace and quiet of nothing around me except birds, animals and the open outback landscapes.

But without religion how will our kids grow to adulthood knowing all about the magic people in the sky? They have to know how to avoid eternity in Hell and the unfailing power of prayer and important stuff like that.

Consider who you are voting for when your public schools board members are being selected. Or you just become part of the problem.

Yup

bobwjr Level 10 July 31, 2019

Absolutely RIGHT! Religions have abused the young and the ignorant for far too long!

Glad it’s the only institution that has!😲

Yes, we have likely all heard it before, but the more it is stated, the more it is heard. The more it is heard the more likely it brings change.

What I say isn't for those with open eyes! There are Theists on here! Maybe a meme or a statement will lead them to the only path to enlightenment, ATHEISM! Once you are Atheist, you're nothing but another person to another Atheist! For all studying religion and faith, WHY? Engineering, technology, magnetic field propulsion or cooking is a much more full filling education!

@Shoemaker

Amen. Homies, homies, homies. ICP.

@Shoemaker Looks like atheism is the One True Way then. Glad it’s presented to me before I get much older!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:381562
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.