Agnostic.com

10 13

Hiker scares off stalking cougar by blasting Metallica song

I hate heavy metal music. The cougar has good taste. It would scare off me, too.

[kiro7.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Better strategy than a firearm! Imagine if guns were replaced by Metallica. Reduce the number of corpses at public events.

Perhaps time for legislation.

Yes, Metallica scares me too. Way too loud and I like loud, but not Metallica.

I wonder what would have happened if the hiker played something else?

If the hiker played Flock of Segal's, would they be alive today?

Back in the late 90s I worked for a small company that made animal radio tracking collars. Remember Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins where they would tag some animal and follow it's radio signals to learn where it spent its time? We probably made the tracker.

In America it was interesting to talk to bear researchers. They generally weren't afraid of being stalked by bears. (I'll avoid blood odor stories.) What they were scared of in bear country was surprising the bear -- accidentally walking into it or its cubs on the trail. So what the researchers almost all did was to wear bells. That way the bears would always hear them coming and get out of the way. (BTW..... They also often carried shotguns -- not as weapons, but as really loud noise makers to scare off animals as a last resort).

I have heard stories of mountain lions stalking people but I've never known anyone personally with that kind of story. That would be terrifying to me.

Oh yes! Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom.
I can still hear Marlin Perkins narration “while Jim wrestles the giant alligator, I stay back st the campsite to prepare the gin and tonics.”

The joke in Montana is - how can you tell the difference between grizzly and black bear scat?

Grizzly scat has the little bells in it.

@RichCC

Two cougars stalked us, Olympic National Park, July 1977

At age 24, I backpacked to Flapjack Lakes in Olympic National Park with two young men. The trail was very steep, gaining 4,000 feet in elevation over seven miles. Like climbing stairs. I carried a 40-lb. pack.

When we arrived, the lake was crowded. We quickly put up the tent, shoving our backpacks inside. I loaded a rucksack with water, food, jacket, frisbee and grabbed my dad's old Super 8 movie camera. Up we climbed on the slopes of Mt. Gladys. Heavy snow that year.

I ran ahead on the snow crust while the guys broke through.

A white wall of snow loomed ahead. "I wonder what I can see from the top," I thought. I ran up that wall, kicking steps in the ice as I went. A taller white wall loomed. Up again. Halfway up the third white wall, I heard "Kathleen! STOP!"

Turning, I couldn't get down. It was too steep and I had no brake (ice axe). So I sat down on the frisbee I was holding in my hand. I hollered "Catch me!" and pushed off. Steering with my boots, I shot down three steep, icy hills. If the guys hadn't tackled me, I would have rocketed down the river into the Hood Canal.

"You could have been killed!" the guys yelled. I ran ahead to get away from their complaining.

Suddenly a giant, tawny cat leaped 15 feet atop a boulder. I was transfixed. It was a cougar. It was less than 1/8 mile below me in a small meadow. I began filming. The cougar jumped down, walked across the snow, stopped in the shadow of the river, and I couldn't see it. It walked toward me, froze in a patch of yellow flowers, and I couldn't see it. By then, the guys had arrived at my side.

The cougar was heading up the hill toward us. We yelled and threw down rocks. It didn't stop. Suddenly it was joined by another cougar on the side. The two cats relentlessly headed uphill toward us.

"Put the camera away! We're leaving." We hurried down to the lake, staying close with me in the middle. Giant boulders overhead. A mountain lion could have easily jumped down on us.

We hurried down to Flapjack Lake. People. Safety in numbers. But was Sunday evening and everybody had gone home. Nobody went outside to pee that night.

The next day, we excitedly told the ranger at Staircase Ranger Station. He was amazed. Over 14 years, he had never seen a cougar, although he saw their footprints. "Cougar follow the deer that were driven down by heavy snow this year," he said.

@LiterateHiker -- Great story. Big animals are amazing to see.

I've never seen a lion in the wild but I know that they can be strangely confident almost to the point of arrogance.

A ranger from the Canyon's North Rim once told me a story of a lion that wouldn't leave a road. The ranger was driving somewhere and the cat was lying on a road warming itself. The ranger didn't want the cat to get hit so he tried to shoo it away from danger. But the cat wouldn't move.
The ranger tried to scare the cat with his truck and even honked his horn but it refused to leave. Finally after a half hour or so the lion casually wandered off, I guess finally annoyed.
The cat apparently knew who was in charge of the situation. Lol.😊

@LiterateHiker Kathleen you do have a great many adventures, you should memorialize them for your descendants, this is a gem of personal history!

@scout123456 I vaguely remember @LiterateHiker mentioning a journal at some point. I agree with you. The stories sound as if they are worth writing into a collection.

@scout123456, @RichCC

Thank you.

On my computer I keep a journal, Ecstatic and Scary Hiking Experiences. It begins at age 21 when I moved from Michigan to Washington State to climb mountains.

My brother and daughter have photographic memories. I have a clear, detailed memory for conversations and experiences that struck me.

of course. metallica sucks. that crap would run me off too.

Me too. What I also dislike is when I stop at a red light and someone is in the lane next to me with blasting music on the highest volume. Don't they understand that they will get tinnitus one day.

What did you say? lol

Who would want to scare off a cougar?????

Senex Level 5 Aug 3, 2019

The cougar might’ve stayed with this cover/version

never liked heavy Metal my self,,would say the Cougar was smart to get out of ear range lol

Even a cougar knows that most of the stuff Metallica put out after Master Of Puppets sucks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:383038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.