Agnostic.com

14 28

Today's hike: scary dirt bikes and looming rain

I refuse to hike in the Entiat, Cle Elum and Yakima Forest Districts because they allow dirt bikes.

Today Karen and I hiked in the mountains for four miles and 800 feet of elevation gain. When we heard dirt bikes approaching, terrified, we madly scrambled off the narrow trail.

Rarely is there an easy place to step off. Throw yourself into fallen trees or sharp boulders? Plunge down a cliff? They were too fast. Luckily, there were only four dirt bikers.

"If we hear them stop for sharp curves and rocks, that means they are on the trail," Karen said. "If they blast fast, they are on the road."

Heading up into the mountains, we drove through washouts covering the road.

For two days, we had pounding rain, thunder and lightning. Flash floods, mudslides and damaged homes, especially in steep and burned areas. Still, black clouds loomed. From the ridge, we watched it raining in Squilchuck State Park.

But we didn't get rained on. It was an atmospheric day!

I loved the trail. First time on it. The trail was open enough to see mountains and provided cool shade most of the time.

Photos:

1. Beehive Reservoir

2. Golden fall flowers

3. Looming rainclouds

4. Vine Maple beginning to turn red.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could never understand why anyone would want to speed through the wilderness.

@Holysocks

Adrenaline junkie.

@LiterateHiker
They fly through and miss the flight of a hawk or butterfly. A rare flower or a beautiful panorama.

What a beautiful area. I've never been to Washington state.

What a beautiful area.

I managed to ride early before the rain on Friday and Saturday but I ride on the streets or the JW Train around Ellensburg.
Dirt bikes and mountain bikes do not mix with hikers or horses. I know exactly what you mean, it frustrates me no end the problems with allowing access to everyone and it aways seems the dirt bikers just do not get it. They want to be able to go everywhere and are not contend with a designated area for dirt biking only. That is a broad generalization I know, just my experience with local planning efforts.
Lovely pictures!! The rain was needed and looks like it helped with the Colville wildfire. 🙂

@silverotter11

Thank you. I appreciate your support.

Do dirt bikers harass women on trails or try to run hikers over?? I am just wondering why the fear of dirt bikers... perhaps they are an aggressive subculture in the US?

@demifeministgal

What gave you that idea?

Dirt bike riders don't slow down when they come across hikers like mountain bicyclists do.

Dirt bikes tear up trails and badly erode terrain. Ear-splitting roar shatters the serenity of everyone in earshot. Scares wildlife, too.

Assholes.

@LiterateHiker Well because of this statement: "Throw yourself into fallen trees or sharp boulders? Plunge down a cliff? They were too fast. Luckily, there were only four dirt bikers."
So with such extreme options I was wondering why be terrified. I don't hike so really do not know about the dangers or hassles of dirt bikers.

@demifeministgal

Dirt bikers go so fast they are unable to stop when they come across hikers on the trail. It's terrifying.

We have to quickly scramble off the trail. Rarely is there an easy place to step off.

Today we were sitting beside the narrow trail eating lunch, and heard a dirt bike blasting nearby in our direction.

"Grab my pole!" Karen called frantically. I threw my lunch and camera into my pack and scrambled into fallen logs downhill, tripping and almost falling. False alarm. The dirt bike was on the gravel road.

Sound carries in mountains, echoing off ridges and cliffs.

That's why I hate hiking where dirt bikes are allowed. Assholes.

I don't particularly always like dirt bikes in a wilderness area because of the noise. But they are also lots of fun. So I'm conflicted.

Trails kind of defeat the purpose of a dirt bike. I am not sure I have ever encountered a dirt bike on a....trail.

This is drama. Women and dogs oppressed by noisy young men on machines.

Women throwing themselves onto boulders when no dirt bike rider worth the grit in their grin rides a walking trail.

...would never have imagined missing Vine Maple.. Worked today, at a former job ..apparently I’m the only person in the vicinity who knows how to train (thornless) blackberries 🙂 ..and other than ‘the thorns,’ can you imagine missing Himalayan Blackberries, too?

Don’t get me started on dirtybikes.. I’ve a new ‘adventure bike,’ with on & off road capabilities … but limit my ‘off-roading’ to gravel ‘back roads.’ I couldn’t stand ‘bike’s’ on trails, let alone motorcycles.. Hold your own ~

Varn Level 8 Aug 11, 2019

Beautiful pictures, and I love how you write about your hikes. Makes me feel like I'm there with you. Thanks for sharing.

@Redheadedgammy

Thank you so much!

isn't it early there for fall flowers?

@callmedubious

In August, alpine lakes are getting colder. At high elevations, it can snow year-round. At Lake Colchuck, I awoke to six inches of snow on July 4 weekend. It was sleeting sideways.

Different flowers bloom in the mountains from March through November. It depends on the elevation.

I was in Wasaga beach on Friday for a 5k foam fest run yesterday morning.

Nice pics.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time🌻

@Woodron

I had a wonderful time, apart from the dirt bikes.

Really enjoyed your pics and congrats on your beautiful hike

Be careful

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 11, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:387483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.