Agnostic.com

16 5

Have you ever had a moment where you stop and look around wondering how you got to where you are? What decisions from your past put you there? What would the results have been if the decisions had gone a different way?
Would you make those decisions again?

Warm_dissent 6 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's a very human tendency, or at least I hope so, because if it's not, then I'm pretty inhuman for being tempted to think such things.

It's mostly a waste though. One ends up thinking in useless circles because what's done is done and it's not actionable. Also, everyone starts out with the same handicaps of ignorance and inexperience. We all make, overall and quanitatively, the same mistakes and have the same setbacks.

It's best to learn as much as you can from your mistakes and then leave them behind and strive not to repeat them.

I've wondered about some of the decisions I've made or didn't make. But since I can't change the past, all I can do is learn from them and do the best I can moving forward.

I would do my life exactly the same as I first did. I enjoyed it all - even my romantic "mistakes."

We had a manager who once told us that sometimes we will make a decision that doesn't work out, but to remember that we made that decision based on the information and knowledge of the situation at that time, and that we shouldn't beat ourselves up in hindsight. I have always tried to remember that when something doesn't quite work out as planned.

I think everyone can look back and say " if only I had done that" or " if only I didnt do that " but really its way to open ended. im still here now but if I would of changed littearally anything in my past even seamingly for the better theres a good chance I wouldnt be.

I know well what brought me to where I am, some was under my control, much was not.
Not knowing the infinite other possibilities of what may be if things were different,
I will stick with what I have.
I don't have much choice.

There were several decisions I wish I could take back and they all centered around taking time away from my family. Too late now.

Yep. That happened to me just about an hour ago. I found myself in the kitchen and I had no idea why I was there, how I got there, or why I was in my neighbor's house.

I for one wouldn't change my choices from my past. Those decisions were made at a time when they made sense. Naturally, we see things from a different lens as we get older, but changing those choices would mean we wouldn't be where we are now. If you did change any single choice the path could be completely different.

There have been so many critical decisions in my life that could have changed my path that it is impossible to predict where I could be if ...

Well now that you mention it, I am workering! I am the sum of my decisions. I may make some decisions differently, as the years have passed, I realize how much hormones played into decision making -- often rash ones. But again, I am the sum of my decisions and on a path. Never out of the light.

Babz Level 1 Mar 17, 2018

I used to do that. I don't anymore.
It's pointless. What's done is done.
Second-guessing myself now would just be an exercise in futility.
I wouldn't change anything, even if I could, and since I can't, there's no
point in giving it any mental energy whatsoever.

@ScienceBiker I didn't see the questions posed as having to do with self-reflection. To me, that's another matter entirely. I agree about it being part of self-improvement.

I do it quite a bit really, not from any regret, but just pondering life's broader aspects and reflecting, more for a bit of fun I suppose but it doesn't make me morose or anything lol

Now and again in different forms. Good mental fuel to keep going in gratitude.

I have, but I try to keep it productive. To better understand myself in order to navigate the future so I'll have smaller bumps in the road.

Yes when faced with death 6 years ago from leukemia I was dead (lol) set vs. Chemo because everyone I knew who went through it died anyway. However the oncologist told me if I didn't I'd be dead in 3 weeks at 58. 5 years after bone marrow transplant I am a statistical survivor of AML which has a 10% survival rate. Would make same decisions again. Life is worth living.

feel free to message me =if she made it to transplant shes more than halfway there-most don't make it to transplant. Unfortunately there are side effects.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38805
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.