Agnostic.com

63 6

What is a particular creative piece -- a work of art, a book, a movie, a song, a performance, anything -- that has a religious theme or overtones, and yet you can't help but like it or even love it?

I'm thinking of this because on Easter Sunday there will be a live broadcast of Jesus Christ Superstar with a pretty cool cast. Being raised Jewish and being an agnostic, one would think I'd get myself far away from this. But this show has one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's best scores and awesome songs, I've liked it for years, and I'm very much looking forward to the broadcast.

bleurowz 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (51 - 63)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I still enjoy Madeleine L'Engle's books, and Christianity was important. Same with Shakespeare, not to mention CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.

Music by the Cruxshadows, who regularly use religious references as a shortcut in their music. Old music written by Hildegard von Bingen in the Medieval era.

For that matter, the reboot of Battlestar Galactica had a lot of religion in it, especially the two season spinoff Caprica (which I don't like). Babylon 5 had a lot of religious references as well.

Gulliver's Travels. It only pretends to have religious overtones, but Jonathan Swift was actually writing brutal social satire.

jewish atheist here and look what i listen to:

g

The Divine Comedy- Dante

The song the Prayer, but only the version by Chloe Agnew of Celtic Women.

Gospel music by Mahalia Jackson

A very large part of the music I listen to every day is religious since I am a Baroque and early music fan and the composers of those periods didn't have a lot of choice.

The great divorce by cs lewis

Some of the gorgeous, non-religious new music:

"Joep Franssens (b. 1955) composes out of a profound connectedness with nature and his fellow man." [joepfranssens.com]

"Shine" by Collective Soul.

I also love the choral music of John Tavener. Here's a link to his rendition of the Lord's Prayer which is just exquisite.

That whole album is gorgeous especially "The Bridegroom" which follows; I often like to fall asleep to it. As Nietzsche said, "Without music, life would be a mistake." I feel that music itself grants the harmony that humanity looks for in religion.

I love Jesus Christ Superstar! 🙂 especially this version where the Indigo Girls play Jesus and Mary.

Everything by Sufjan Stevens. Pretty sure he's very Christian, but I cannot live without his music.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.