Agnostic.com

63 6

What is a particular creative piece -- a work of art, a book, a movie, a song, a performance, anything -- that has a religious theme or overtones, and yet you can't help but like it or even love it?

I'm thinking of this because on Easter Sunday there will be a live broadcast of Jesus Christ Superstar with a pretty cool cast. Being raised Jewish and being an agnostic, one would think I'd get myself far away from this. But this show has one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's best scores and awesome songs, I've liked it for years, and I'm very much looking forward to the broadcast.

bleurowz 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To quote Tim Minchin, "Some of the songs that they sing have nice chords, but the lyrics are dodgy."

I love a lot of religious music, architecture, art, etc. Cause here's the thing. I think believing is a bit silly, but one can't understate that some people do pour their heart into faith sometimes and the results can be beautiful.

Something doesn't have to be TRUE, to be beautiful. Consider any great work of fiction.

A lot of Beethoven, for example. A Love Supreme by Coltrane. 10,000 Days by Tool. A lot of churches have amazing architecture.

Why me Lord by Kris Kristofferson. You will have to watch the You Tube version where he explains how he came to write the song.
I don't care if it rains or freezes from the movie Cool Hand Luke. Don Imus use to have if as his theme song for his radio show in the 70's. Imagine by the Beatles and 'This Train' by the Band.

The Recordare from Mozart's Requiem. Although it's a plea for Jesus' mercy on judgement day, it is so earnest and stunningly gorgeous. It also is a work of complete technical and expressive mastery.

Jesus Christ Superstar, because I am a sucker for show tunes. Heh.

Me too!

tHE Pieta

The cross. I have a collection of them. I love the different artwork and the symmetry. Also, it is a connection to my Pagan days (the cross was around before Christianity...🙂

what did it symbolize before christianity?
/

@btroje It was a Pagan symbol and meant different things depending upon the path you were on. On my path it was symbolic of the meeting of the physical and spiritual planes of existence.

There's a lot of magnificent music - Ave Maria, Jerusalem (and did those feet in ancient times...), Hallelujah (Cohen), the list is endless. So many composers were brought up in religious states, that's where their talents had to be directed in order to gain favor and ear a crust.

This is the best!

Paradise Lost, The divine comedy, and of course Don Quixote

Jnei Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Johanne Brahms Germanic Requiem

Lord of the Rings

I don't know if this counts but I love the tomb of the unknown warrior in Westminster Abbey on poppy day it is covered in red poppies and I always try to get someone to put some white peace poppies on it for me buying them from the Peace Pledge Union - They always get picked up and thrown out but they stay awhile.

Love this song. But the singer refers to "him", a veiled reference to Jesus I'm pretty certain, as he eventually became born again. The lines between 2:50-3:09 show great humanity & warmth.

Not into the myth either but it does explore human traits and longings and failings more than most things about the character.

More relateable than the perfect boy/man/god who never ever sinned or had sex.

Saint Matthew's Passion, and all J.S. Bach music. It truly makes me feel that there is a divine spirit who inspired his music.

From the cultural / enrichment point all books / movies / song....even the Piss Christ....I like them all. Each one teaches me something new.

Yay the Piss Christ!

One of my favorite books is "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov which takes place in both early 20th centu ry Moscow and the days leading up to the crucifixion. Great book - Satan is actually portrayed as a protagonist... Pontius Pilate is a hypochondriac and Jesus is sort of awkward.

Another is "Lamb" by Christopher Moore - funny retelling of the life of Christ from the viewpoint of his childhood BFF, Biff.

I still listen to some CCM (Contemporary Christian Music.) To me, it's no different from enjoying creative works from other cultures. Same goes for quite a bit of art and earlier forms of Western music that are sacred in intent.

When I was a teenager I was asked by my very religious cousin what music I listened to. I listed a bunch of bands. She informed me that I was listening to "secular" rock. I said, "No, I listen to rock. YOU listen to Christian rock - rock came first. Chrtistians hated it - but now use it as a recruiting tool. " I guess I was atheist back then.

I refuse to listen to modern Christian music.

Plenty of people have already mentioned Hallelujah and Let It Be. I also really like the Prince of Egypt.

I like this mildly anti-abortion song. Despite some lyrics rubbing me wrong, it makes some valid points and is gorgeous.

Opera as long as I don't understand the words.

I adore opera , understand in both French and English ...
It's not necessarily religious . I saw two Puccini operas this week ..... At the theatre .
Going to Madama Butterfly in May .

I meant to say French and Italian . The English s reasonably self evident

Most operas are not religious.

I don’t have that problem.

There are many things with religious notions that I enjoy being it music, films even some of my favorite comic books have some basis in religion

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.