Agnostic.com

15 4

Does anyone else find that as a non-believer in an all powerful beings, it's very difficult for me to be a fan (fanatical belief in someone's or somethings abilities) or a worshipper of people? I may admire individual accomplishments, but am deeply aware that as humans, they are prone to mistakes and misteps just like anyone else. Does that sound jaded? I just don't put them on a pedestal.

Barnie2years 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

From 2000-2010, I worked as an "Extra" in films, movies and commercials. For thos ewho dont' know, and Extra is one of those peopel who are in teh background or in the room who never say anything, but are just there to create "atmosphere" for the scene. Before anyone gets any ideas aobut pusuing that kidn of job, the pay is not enough to live on, and the work is nto easy to get, so don't 'run off to Hollywood. Trust me. Some people in the entertainment industry are crazy (very messed up emotionally with a very warped perception of reality).

Anyway, I met a few "celebrities" and saw many many more. i ws nto really all the impressed, and did not really think they deserved the worship many of them received. They were all just people.

In my mind talent does not really make a person worthy of respect, but it is how they treat other people. I just cant' admire somoen who treats others like they are shit... You can respect power without having any respect for the person who holds it.

I see no reason to have to put anything on a pedestal. That is projection and a sure recipe for disappointment. In my days as a fundamentalist I was often taught that "everyone worships something, even if it's only themselves". But that is false. There are individuals who inspire us to be better persons, there are things we seek out and enjoy as hobbies or life objectives but that is not "worship". That is the human quest for meaning and purpose.

Worship is mindless obeisance and blind trust in a being that is supposed to be (1) vastly superior and either (2) threatening you with some form of punishment for anything less than total obedience and/or (3) is so trustworthy as to be beyond question.

I would not serve (2) and would not trust (3). If (1) cannot stand and stand up to critical scrutiny then they are not so great after all. NOTHING is beyond question.

As for fallible humans, you're right, they're even less trustworthy, but also, since they're not all-powerful, in a way they're MORE trustworthy. Why? Because power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Most humans have about the same power as you or I, and so are not as corrputible and privileged.

Anyway don't feel bad for not being easily impressed. It's not part of your job description as a human and in fact, it's actually desirable to have a default skeptical / critical stance.

I had to chuckle when I read “everyone worships something!” That is kind of what my Dad told me one time we were having a discussion on belief. He was, I honestly think, at least an Agnostic, though he would never admit to it. Mom was the believer in the family, and he went along to keep her happy. The nice thing was, if he didn’t go to church on Sunday, my sister and I could usually beg off as well. And he didn’t go fairly regularly. But he told me one time that you have to believe in something, be it god or a person or yourself. And I really never quite accepted that premise. About the only thing I believe is that if I wake up in the morning I’m alive, some day I will die, and life will go on without me.

@Barnie2years Well "believing in yourself" is not "worshipping yourself" so your Dad was at the very least "less wrong" than my fundamentalist overlords. I have finally, I think, begun to get through to my wife for example that it's important that she believe more in herself, as she was raised to find herself inadequate and unworthy in various important ways. Nothing wrong with being at home within yourself and wherever you find yourself, and understanding that while you're not more worthy than others, you're not less worthy either. But the notion that worship is an innate need, no, that's utterly wrong-headed. As is the fundamentalist notion that taking even legitimate and earned credit for things you actually do / legitimately deserve is arrogant or self-absorbed and a form of worship of the self at god's expense.

If I am going to worship anyone it is going to be ME.

I don't either. They are merely mortal.

People are people, even those who have accomplished great things. A pedestal for them? Definitely not. Recognition? That was earned.

In my opinion,

I believe that as most of "us" had been indoctrinated and then broken away from some organised religion or another, that we tend to be more skeptical of strong figures in general. So either that part of our mind is more acutely aware of understanding there naturally are flaws for any individual or perhaps we are more cautious about group think in general.

Rather than accomplishments, I am impressed (or not) by behavior. I enjoy being with open, friendly, intelligent, and funny people. Not because I put folks like that on a pedestal, but because I feel comfortable around them.

That's the thing about pedestals. Once someone is put on one, there are always others actively seeking to knock them off. I suppose that's a good thing, keeps 'em on their toes. Personally, I don't care for heights.

I don't worship people, but I do admire people who accomplish great things, make mistakes because they are human. I admire them more if they acknowledge those mistakes in order to improve.

JimG Level 8 Mar 19, 2018

No Altars for generals... my motto. I am with you.

I suppose if you reserve your pedestal for magical, all powerful beings, then your pedestal will remain empty. But you and I belive that there is only one pool of beings to select from, and they're all human and imperfect. So, if I were to populate pedestals, it would just be from the best among us humans. I guess that would mean that my pedestal isn't such a special place if it's just for great humans and not perfect beings.

Not jaded, just realistic, I get flack from people because I say Stephen Hawking, though brilliant and all kinds of awesome, has made some very bloody stupid comments on space and time.
Noone is perfect, we all make many mistakes, I don't consider anyone above errors.

I can be inspired by an individual, be in awe of a talent they have whether artistic, athletic, scientific, etc. I can be amazed at someone's bravery or strength in adversity. So, in those instances I can be a fan, but I haven't come across anyone that I would put on a pedestal or fail to remember that they are human, too. Part of that is the atheist in me but part is also the Yank in me, the refusal to bow a knee to any man. Even when I was in the USN I saluted, & "sirred", but I sure as hell never worshipped an officer!

Hawking was smart and a very good physicst. There are others. The reason Hawking is one of my role models is that he didn't wallow in self pity; instead, he lived a good life. There are others, and they too are role models, perhaps for me, but I don't know of them all. You aren't jaded. Humans have too many warts to be on a pedestal.

They don't just go on a pedestel because lots of people like sheep look upto them. Imake that choice myself who Ilook up too. they are only human. no one is better than me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39539
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.