Agnostic.com

39 4

Is it ethical to have children?

I just watched a discussion (four philosophers!) on German TV about whether it is ethical to have children in the age of climate warming and population explosion. One of the philosophers had written some article putting forward the thesis that the biggest personal contribution in the fight against climate change is to remain childless.

My first thought when I watched was: What a highbrow nonsense! Nobody remains childless because she wants to do something against climate warming.
You have a child or not because this is a very personal preference. For some people, children are just an integral and essential part of their life; a life without children would be a quite unhappy, even meaningless life . Others - like me - never had the slightest desire to procreate, just the contrary (children cause a lot of noise, they get on my nerves, are expensive, are life-long shackles you can never get rid of even if the kid turns out to become an obnoxious brat, etc...).

The decision "Children: yes or no" is not made in the prefrontal cortex, it is not rational, but comes from the depth of your personality and character. Of course people invent a posteriori reasons for their decisions, including the decision to have children or not. But these reasons were not at the root of the decision. And a lot, maybe even the majority of people do not decide to have children, those are just the 'collateral damage' of a few minutes of fun and ecstasy.

The second thought that crossed my mind: If somebody really wanted to have a baby but convinced herself to remain childless because of climate change, it would be a really stupid decision, because the two sides - the decision and its effect - are totally out of proportion : on the personal side it would be a big loss, a much much bigger loss than, say, refraining from flying to Spain for holidays, or reducing my meat consumption. On the other side this decision has virtually zero impact on climate change.
We have a huge impact on the personal side (without children, she gives up part of her happiness) and a non-existing impact on the ecological side. I'd say that this glaring disproportion renders all philosophical / ethical arguments invalid.

What do you think: Is it ethical to have children? Does this decision - if it is a decision - have political implications?
or is this a private and personal decision that is nobody's business (except of course those individuals who combine their genes to make a new human being ; and maybe their families)?

Matias 8 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

White people should have more children.

Do you think the rigors of poverty from overpopulation and the possible end of life on this planet is going to discriminate according to race?

I wonder how many people actually plan to have kids or if the kids are created and the parents make plans afterward. Even with as much knowledge as we have about birth control, i believe most kids are unplanned when they are concieved. Just recently, I had a niece whose baby was concieved when birth control failed, and i couple who was a bit older than us who claimed they were using different forms of birth control when each of their 3 kids were conceived.

To answer your question more directly, no, I don't bslieve having a child is inethical. Having a half dozen, or more like the reality TV the Dugger family, is but this is another story.

Yeah, right now I would say it’s unethical to create consciousness. Let alone the environmental stuff.

I do not think the question of whether or not it is ethical to have children belongs in the context of climate change specifically. Yes, the world will be damaged with overpopulation. On the other hand, I suspect we will develop strategies to deal with the consequences of overpopulation, including climate change. When we run out of strategies we will all die, but we will all eventually die in any case.

I had this discussion with my last girlfriend who is deeply prone to climate anxiety and even though she wants children. She was Worried for exactly the same reasons above, which I decided was BS on every level.

First off, the choice to have kids is as you state a personal, and I don't have anything to add you didn't say.

Second, fighting climate change is going to be much less effective if we have fewer people to deal with it. Massive amounts of damage have already been done and we aren't going to fix it by limiting our numbers. At this point, lowering consumption rates by having less children will no longer be effective because by the time it takes effect it will be to late.

Third, climate change is first and foremost an ecological disaster. Humans and most of the plants and animals we have a symbiotic relations with will live through it because we are creative and adaptable. The problem is evolution by natural selection is to slow to keep up with human development. By not having children, you don't change anything.

Contrary to popular belief, this is the worst time in human history except all the other times. And it's getting much better. A smaller percentage of people are living in poverty and more are obese than ever before. We have more outlets for non-vital activities and more time for leisure than ever before. We can expect that our children will only have more than we did, especially if automation makes work unnecessary.

Last, a purely philosophical argument. If no one had kids, climate stabilizes and things stay the same or revert to pre-industrial conditions with fewer people. If everyone has kids, there are two posibilities. Either we take full control of our planet and fix the climate by making it more robust, or everything gets ugly and the 6th mass extinction is finalized and our children's lives are slightly worse than ours. So it's a bad thing, that hurts no one because of they were never born they can't suffer.

Having children isn't a matter of ethics at all... It's natural....

Lots of things are natural and unethical. It's the reason we have laws. When one lives alone or in a small thing one has more freedoms than living within a large group. Population growth limits our freedoms and brings ethics and morality into the equation.

I support a group know as Engenderhealth [engenderhealth.org] In many tribes in Africa (and probably many other places) it is common/natural for the men to want to sire as many children as he can. No thought is given to the idea this might be immoral as the children often go hungry and/or STD's are spread. Engender Health has a program (MAP - men as partners) to deal with this. Here is a short clip from the organization. 1994 the UN conference on population is mentioned. [engenderhealth.org]

Yes it is ethical.
Climate change is inevitable at this point.
There is nothing a single person can do to change this.
At this point science is our only salvation. Hopefully they discover a cure.

Science and technology are not the solution but a part of the problem. One example is that too many people feel the problems will be solved so nothing is necessary on their part. The basic equation is I = PAT (impact equals population x activity x technology).

@JackPedigo
Unless you can get 90% of the worlds population involved there is nothing that you or I do as individuals to solve this?
Science and technology are absolutely how we will solve this issue.
Lack of science and industry is how this was created.

@darthfaja I only partially agree (1st part). Relying on technology is like a smoker taking pills for lung cancer. It becomes a crutch that enables some of us to resist making changes in our lifestyles. It was created by people's actions and it will be maintained by our actions, or lack thereof.
Here is a TED talk about technology and it's use in the world. Go to 14 minutes.
[ted.com]

Are you asking a question, or expecting we read an opinion piece? I can never tell. Both parsing your opinion ..and the opinions you appear to be pushing causes me to ..move on. So I will ~

Varn Level 8 Sep 1, 2019

If someone wants to be socially responsible there is the option of having just one or two children. I’m not personally convinced about climate change, but overpopulation is definitely a threat.

For some unknown reason I love children and had a deep desire to reproduce. As a result I have four—more than my share I know, but you have to consider that I never wanted to be socially responsible in the first place.

IMO logically no one should feel a sense of emptiness because of not having had children. I know that we are not logical however, but remember that there are thousands of possible avenues that we could have taken. For example, I wish I had learned music and languages as a child. I didn’t and I’m not going to now—maybe in another life.

There are certainly plenty of people in the world, so all we need do is concentrate on the miracle of each moment and live in peace and joy.

Empowering woman reduced birth rates

I don’t think it is ethical or a unethical for the reasons you describe.

I do however feel that it is irresponsible if you can’t support them.

I have always wondered how many people want babies with no thought that they are their charges for yours, or their, lifespans.

PS I love your children rant in parentheses!

Adding to the earth’s population is a crime against humanity.

"You need to have children to get your intelligence into the gene pool," people said in my 20s and 30s.

With a 146 IQ, I scoffed at this idea. What a lousy reason to have children!

Women are not breeding animals.

Is IQ congenital?

@QuidamOutrepont

No, IQ is genetic. My father was a genius and Mom was highly intelligent. All four of us kids are, too.

When my brother, Lee, attempted suicide at age 16, the psychiatrist tested his IQ. Lee was diagnosed as genius with a photographic memory. My father took all of us kids for IQ testing. My IQ been 146 since age 19.

Childhood exposure to lead and a poor diet can lower a child's IQ.

[search.yahoo.com]

Depends who you are!

I never thought of that honestly, I just go with the flow. My wife wanted children so we had children

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:396423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.