Agnostic.com

22 3

Why are we - or some of us - able to understand the universe?

“The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.” - Albert Einstein

Even Richard Dawkins in a rare moment of humility wrote: "Modern physics teaches us that there is more to truth than meets the eye; or than meets the all too limited human mind, evolved as it was to cope with medium-sized objects moving at medium speeds through medium distances in Africa"

How can we explain that the brain (or 'the mind' if you prefer) of this naked ape called Homo sapiens is able to understand quantum physics and explore the arcane realms of mathematics (to be precise: some specimens of Homo sapiens are able to do this, yours truly excluded), although there has never been a selection pressure in the direction of such capacities? Do the natural theologists have a point when they argue that such an excess of knowledge cannot be accounted for by standard evolutionary theory?

Matias 8 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is pure hubris to say any of us truly understands the universe.Our science has made great progress, but even our most advanced scientists admit they don't understand what's really going on. We do not evolve as individuals, we evolve as groups & societies. The ability to observe, to analyze, to understand differences & similarities, to experiment, to invent has been a great evolutionary advantage. The development of language & symbol, including manipulation of mathematical symbols, has given us great survival value as societies, which has fostered our survival as groups & individuals.

Progress & learning in children & society has often come about by play. Certain individuals have been motivated to "play", to get involved in activities that have no immediate practical benefit, but have helped develop capacities that have long term survival value. Conditions change naturally through climate & resources, but human activity often brings about change. The group with the greatest repertoire of potential adaptive behavior has the greatest chance of surviving change . The post seems to imply only immediate practical adaptation has any real value & knowledge can be "excessive". This narrative seems a very narrow "bean counter" view of what evolution is all about.

This especially holds now when we are becoming cyborgs in a symbiotic relationship with our technology. If you have a smart phone in your pocket, you have much more computing power than NASA had to send astronauts to the moon. Quantum mechanics may seem the play thing of a few woo-woo scientists, but the society that develops effective quantum computers will have enormous survival value against other societies.

We face adaptive challenges that can easily wipe the human race from the face of the earth--climate change, nuclear proliferation, population explosion. Solving these existential challenges depends on our courage & willingness to evolve

So our real task is not to understand the universe, it will take care of itself, but to understand ourselves & hopefully avoid catastrophe.

I don't try to understand it, others spend their lifetimes doing that for me for which I am eternally grateful. I want to learn about it and enjoy my life that has been given to me by this universe, until the day of my demise.

So much of human knowlege is accessible on my iphone. I think cybernetics will completely change what humanity is capable of imagining and understanding. If we are not exterminated first.

Actually, intelligence CAN be accounted for by standard evolutionary theory. As "Naked Apes" were ill equipped to deal with the natural environment, it was the intelligent ones and their descendants who were intellectually most able to overcome the environment, that fared best. Of course, man being a communal species, it was not necessary for everyone to be intelligent to survive, and now that most natural impediments have been surmounted, one can be a complete moron and not only survive, but survive quite nicely, which is most fortuitous for the likes of me. So no, natural theologists do not have a valid point in arguing that "such an excess of knowledge cannot be accounted for by standard evolutionary theory". And it should be noted that intelligence and knowledge are not the same thing. Intelligence is the ability to use the knowledge you have acquired.
"Intelligence in the normal range is a polygenic trait, meaning that it is influenced by more than one gene, more specifically, over 500 genes, and is thought to be 50% to 80% genetic in origin."
[en.wikipedia.org]
[sciencemag.org]

Do you mean that none of us will ever completely understand the universe and its infinite complexity? If you didn't, you should have.

There has been a selection pressure for inventiveness, curiosity and sensitivity. Because of those traits maybe mankind developed religion, art, technology and science.

Despite science, I feel that our understanding of the universe is only superficial. Those mathematical models are beautiful, and they partially describe the way things are, but they don’t tell us why things are the way they are. That is because our minds are locked in a sub-realm of reality and the perception needed for survival in that sub-realm is not true vision.

Another issue is that “selection pressure” idea—I’m not convinced that evolution is driven by selection pressure alone. Selection pressure plays a role for sure, but I don’t think the selection is always rote and mindless. There’s an element of intelligence involved IMO.

Do you think perhaps our DNA was tampered with. The 3% DNA that's not from Ape? The 3% explains how far we've come? I believe so. I just do!

@TimeOutForMe Do you think humans tampered with their own DNA? If no, then who or what?

It is empirically demonstrated that consciousness can direct the course of evolution. Just look at the work of animal and plant breeders. Whenever a man and woman choose each other there’s an element of intelligent design at work.

@WilliamFleming
I wouldn't rule out that possibility. I wonder which part of this world it started and spread?

@TimeOutForMe At what point in history, or pre-history? Frankly, I lean away from the idea. No human would have known how to modify DNA in earlier times—that’s a modern technology.

Through selective breeding, early humans did influence the evolution of domesticated animals, and through their choice of mates they also influenced human evolution. They also influenced human evolution through warfare. How much of that influence was made with conscious volition I don’t know.

@WilliamFleming

"No human would have known how to modify DNA in earlier times—that’s a modern technology".

I Agree

... and has to be some truth with regards to influences on selective breeding.

No one understands quantum mechanics. Show me someone who claims to and I will show you a liar.

Fossil records show that our evolution to higher inteligence was extremely rapid and the cause of this evolution is proposed to be things like social development, our tendancies to migrate, rapid climate swings, and a rapidly changing food supply.
[google.com]

One theory is that because a child would not know what type of world they would find themselves in, they couldn't have a set stimulus/reaction type of mind most common in nature. Thus being able to think abstractly and understand novel concepts became necessary for survival.

It's also important to note that humans and other primates are not the only organisms capable of math.
[bbc.com]

I don't see anything that unbelievable about the advanced mathematical capabilities of some humans given our ability to learn such a broad range of skills.

@Matias There has never been any selection pressure for the overwhelming majority of things humans do. The selection pressure was to create a system both fungible and efficient that can adapt to any task, including math, philosophy, and flying fighter jets.

[newscientist.com]

If you wanted to, you could make a brain that did nothing but math. The circuitry for the brain isn't hard-wired like a computer, it is constantly changing shape. Individual neurons will migrate across the brain to form new conections or repair damaged ones. The human brain is the most complex thing in the universe, you need to give it credit for that at least. If full understanding of the brain was a mile, we haven't gone an inch yet.

[arstechnica.com]

Our ancestors were not doing a lot of math, we developed it much later when it became a useful tool for keeping track of stores or figuring out some novel problem. Philosophy is the same way. Sure, its a lot more complex than the old see opposite sex, bone, make babies. But that's because we are a complex animal. These things developed with our societies to better cope with existence and augment our survival ability, and the effects have been clear.

We are the first species with the potential to leave the planet and spread life throughout the galaxy, in a few thousand years we will be essentially immortal, not even cosmic anhiliation will phase us. It's not because of our evolved hardware, it because of our adaptable software.

For me my knowledge of the universe and my perception of it is in a state of perpetual change which is also a good song by YES. And there you are.

I can't explain how self awareness evolved but it did. What was the evolutionary recipe of environment and biology enabled this? No idea. But that's why we can understand the universe.

No one really understands the Universe, not even the best quantum physicists. We simply do our best to understand and explain the data we observe through theoretical models. A thousand years from now, if we survive, our current understanding of the Universe will no doubt seem quite primitive. As for natural theologists, that is a nonsensical argument. What in evolutionary theory prohibits us from developing observational and analytical skills which no doubt gave us a considerable survival advantage in the survival of the fittest? What in evolutionary theory says we have to be dumb and ignorant to survive?

Who in the world says the problem of humanity is that we have an "excess of knowledge"? Seems to me that the world in general suffers from a lack of knowledge. Just one example is that that we are destroying ourselves through climate change, and some of us don't even acknowledge it is happening. Call that smart and knowledgeable? And how much do the theologians say that we are "supposed" to know, with more after that becoming excessive? And at exactly what point in our history did our knowledge past this boundary line and become excessive? Can they name a year? Absurd.

@Matias Algebra...absolutely. Algebra is one of the most useful and applicable mathematical fields there is.
[studiousguy.com]
[education.seattlepi.com]

Now don't make the mistake of thinking that a survival advantage is only survival over other species. If our society gains a significant advantage over other societies or civilizations, that is extremely important, especially over time. For starters, there have been many different Homo species, but Homo Sapiens is the only one that still exists today. That is quite an accomplishment and was not due to chance. Secondly, and more importantly in regards to intellectual accomplishments, most human civilizations have not survived either but fallen by the wayside. Why do you suppose that is? The many practical applications of algebra, among other survival tools, have had a lot to do with why our civilization exists whereas most human civilizations have ceased to exist or, at best, have been regulated to remote regions of the planet. We do not simply survive as individuals but as entire societies. Our civilization survives and thrives mainly because of our superior intellectual tools, and algebra is just one of them, though an important one.

As for quantum physics, give it time. No theoretical field of science is immediately useful, but the promise of practical applications of quantum physics when applied to quantum computers is absolutely mind-boggling. Any civilization that harnesses quantum computing will have a huge advantage over the civilizations that don't and will probably drive those civilizations who don't keep up to extinction over time.
[singularityhub.com]

And don't kid yourself. It is not that your theistic theologians are too dumb to have thought of this, or too lazy to have done a simple internet search. Rather, they are too dishonest to admit it.

Some people just cannot or will not think outside the box. Let your mind wander free.

I think the very fact that we can even come up with such ideas shows our capacity to step outside our own mind/body limits. A well known philosopher, Ken Wilbur, [markmanson.net] once explained evolution as being in stages and one top stage the noosphere [en.wikipedia.org] "The noosphere represents the highest stage of biospheric development, its defining factor being the development of man-kinds rational activities." We are starting to learn that we may not be alone in this level of evolution and some higher sentient beings may also have it. The big problem to me is that when it starts to have little value we resort back to our baser instincts. Right now the competition for a shrinking resource base is doing just that and this level of human evolution will end.

“There has been a selection pressure for inventiveness, curiosity and sensitivity. Because of those traits maybe mankind developed religion, art, technology and science.”

• WilliamFleming
skado Level 9 Sep 4, 2019

@Matias
I don’t know of course, but I’d guess, for starters, that it may just be a matter of degree - somebody had to be the very best at that particular skillset, and, in that case it just happened to be us. Not so with the best olfactory skills - we lost out to the dogs there. Not so with sonar - the bats took that award. And so on.

Beyond that I’d say those particular abilities, as WF intimated, were probably not adaptations per se, but something more akin to spandrels. And we just happened to find other uses for them which suited our needs. We may not be able to recognize what inventive use whales may have found for their spandrels because our value systems are so foreign.

@Matias My feeling is that not every attribute can be explained by random mutations and natural selection. Because we have conscious awareness we are not totally bound by genetics. Through free will we can determine our future.

The basic human traits might be innate. For example, Pythagoras must have been very pleased and excited by his mathematical discovery. Because of his curiosity and ability to feel elation he was led into a particular course of action. As a free agent he was able to choose which course to take.

Why some are more inclined than others? I don't know. I do find that fascinating though.

Nobody understands the universe which is why we have so many names of things followed closely with the word "theory."

I have a few thousand of them.

I understand the universe in the limited manner in which it has been presented to us. Only recently have we been able to get half way decent pictures and I'm sure that in time all this will change and we will have a new model of things.

Oooohhh, expect this post to make me start singing Hosannas, do ya?

Because some have an over-inflated sense of ego and only consider what they can perceive with no thought about what they can’t.

I suggest it is delusional

None of us understands any of it. we appear to have awareness which extends from our ability to agree about what we observe. This often instigates a sense of knowledge and therefor understanding. But, it ain't so.

The Universe is not complicated - Infinite time and space, with matter interacting at a constant rate.
The Universe did not have a beginning - its always been here.

gater Level 7 Sep 4, 2019

We understand what we do about universe due to science. Science is learning something new all the time. People use to say god did, then science proved it was natural.

The average I.Q. for humans is only 100. Those below and those nearby, do not have the capability to understand the universe. It takes superior intelligence to understand complicated things. I.Q. level appears (to me at least), to be random chance, not directly related to the intelligence of the parents and not found in all the siblings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:397737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.