Agnostic.com

20 5

Organized religion

If organized religion were to disappear from this planet in the next second, would anyone instantly die as a result of this absence?

Olli 3 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

: I am very social and communicative

Those that are willing to kill others because of belief, will end up killing themselves in some futile attempt to convince others that they are correct.

I would hope not.

Nope.

Yes, but not instantaneously. There are many people who have used it as a crutch to tamp down dark shit in their heads. I think there's a non-zero number of them who, if you took their belief system away, would actually feel justified to kill certain fellow humans. I don't think that's a reason not to try and get rid of religion, just sayin. Good question, though.

Some faithfools might commit suicide. Humans would just start a new religion to replace the old one.

If the religions were “disappeared” at gunpoint through government edict, yes, there would be world-wide civil war with millions of deaths, and then presto—religions would reappear.

If organized religion disappeared what you’d have left is disorganized religion, which would probably spell death for us all!

skado Level 9 Sep 5, 2019

Only the ones who depend on the many legitimate charities

I do not know... maybe some Jonestown KoolAid stuff?
But for sure, lots of lives would be saved from the lack of religious strife!

Yes, organized religion still offer many social security services in a lot of places like hospitals, orphanages, charity etc. A lot of them are inefficient and are used as leverage power with local governments, but they do provide some assistance that would not exist without those big organizations.

AND that does not mean that the religion is real, you asked about organized religions (the organizations) not about the ideology of religion itself.
Let's say that the organizations changes from religion to pure charity, then nothing happens, actually they would become more efficient.

Of course not, other than by suicide.

No...!

Most likely not. I do not even see St. Jude Hospital as being religious. I'm sure people would still support it. They have to because god doesn't.

No, but drug use would probably spike.
For a lot of people, their human ego needs more coddling than reality can supply.

Probably not. And it would be a hell of a step forward for the human kind.

nope

i think you already know the answer.

g

Possibly. I think religious orgs corner the market in U.S. homeless shelters and maybe even food pantries. What’s more disturbing to me is their increased share of U.S. hospitals. I’m as certain as I can be that many Republicans know social programs are necessary to the strength of our country; however, they’d rather squeeze the government out of providing those services which could reduce the size of government and while having the secondary benefit of increasing American reliance on religious charities. Some recent legislation has even attempted to open the door for religious charities to receive tax payer money in support of their services.

Add to that any successful legislation that allows organizations and businesses to discriminate against fellow Americans in the use of their services and we’ve got a recipe for very bad things to happen to those willing to speak or act openly against religion in this country, again, increased harm for members of the LGBTQ+ community and all but remove access to secular family planning services.

The USA is not the world.

@Spinliesel I know. The U.S. is in it, so it counts. It doesn’t invalidate my response.

@Falsifiable1 It reminds me of the world cup in baseball.Took me years to figure out that the world meant American reams only, not that the other teams were not good enough.

@Spinliesel Well, it may remind you of that, but if I lived in Brazil I could have used information from Brazil and it still would have been a valid response. I can’t speak for the entire world and I don’t have to in order to provide a valid response. The question only requires a single example anywhere in the world to provide a valid response.

Regardless, the original post is most likely a rhetorical one that doesn’t really expect an answer anyway. This probably happens more often than not with people who just want forum points.

I serisoully doubt it . I won't be sorry to see it gone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:398077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.