Agnostic.com

13 4

What Were They Thinking?

Believing in a deity or afterlife is one thing, but many religions, even some that claim no deities, speak of the attainment of special states of mind, such as nirvana, satori, samadhi, enlightenment, or salvation. Were these entirely imaginary too, or do they refer to some actual cognitive potential that science has yet to fully understand? What were these practitioners experiencing?

skado 9 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Also this: The Alpha state (about 8-10Hz) occurs when brain activity slows just below the normal waking state of Beta (11-25hz). In Alpha, the mind and body are relaxed but a level of focus is easily maintained. While in this deeper brainwave state, information can be processed consciously without as much “mental activity” to interfere with it. There is also a greater link between the conscious and subconscious mind in Alpha, meaning that while one is consciously learning, their brain is also unconsciously processing what one is learning.

[brainwavelove.com]

I know what you're talking about but this is the best reference I've found so far. It is an optimal brain state - I just can't remember what it's called?
Something to do with this: [scientificamerican.com]

Maybe this will spark someone else's memory?

good article, thanks

Google the god helmet. This is one thing that may answer your question. We do have the ability to alter our brain patterns with or without drugs. Meditative states are the prime example of this and can be seen with proper medical equipment. Some can induce hallucinations or use drugs to the same affect. There has never been any magical realms ever recorded. What we can observe is altered mind states. Its all in your head is in this case accurate. This being said many altered mind states can be and are benifitical such as in the case of pain control. Not all people are able to manifest these ablities.

I think there's probably something to those. I have an appreciation for the vipassana meditation tradition. Through it, I've learned to be more present. No radically altered state of consciousness. Just more present.

The mind is a powerful creative force, I just try to live and use it wisely.

Different cultures - Not familiar with these Eastern cultural beliefs anyone else?

Different cultures - Not familiar with these Eastern cultural beliefs anyone else?

There are several ways to alter our state of mind. Here are links to physiological and psychedelic causes of altered minds states and some of the religions that practice it.

[humanreligions.info]

[maps.org]

I think it is highly possible and likely that these "states of mind" are real, or at very least, real to those experiencing it. Science is already trying to work it out. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_science) With so many varying definitions for the same "state of mind", it seems a surmountable task.

all that Hope could muster?

Really good psychedelic drugs?

Roman Level 5 Mar 19, 2018

You can talk yourself into anything!

Just a state of mind for an individual.

Do states of mind matter?

@skado I imagine it does for the individual and it certainly does for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.