Agnostic.com

18 3

Did you grow up in a religious home and when did you realize you didn't believe?

Sunny 4 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Born and raised Catholic: through grade school, H.S., even undergraduate school (Marquette U.) While I had questions starting back in grade school, the 15 CR hours in Theology (manditory core) and 15 CR hours in Philosophy (manditory core) - opened my eyes. Last course in Theology was “Atheism vs Theism”. Taught by a Jesuit, of course. I was on my way - but it took another 10 years before I became convinced. Told my best friend. He immediately disowned me.
“Breaking away” - leaves one “alone”, so to speak. It also makes you a minority. So while I had friends, they did not know my “spirituality”.
All is good. I’m happy with me, true to myself, don’t misrepresent myself to others if asked. Otherwise I lay low when topics of spirituality come floating my way. Unless asked.

Raised Roman Catholic. Gave up religion for Lent when I was 16; aside from one very brief foray, never went back

No, thank Darwin!

My dad was never religious, but my mom was. She was a Catholic growing up and took me and my brother to her Catholic church. Then us three (me, mom and brother) went to non-denominational church when I was around 8. When I was 18 in 1993, I was questioning the Christian faith and even knew there were other 2 or 3 other religions too. In 2016, I was dating a very devout catholic woman and she forced fed her beliefs 3 seperate times onto me and I just walked away from her and being a Christian. I did a lot of researching on the origians on Christianity and learn a lot, too. As I understand it, it is an astrological faith, with Pegan mixed into it. There is also 2000 other religious too. Christmas Eve, I was at my brithers home for dinner and was asked to say grace. I said no and said I no longer follow the Christain faith. Needless to say, by brother tried to force his Christian faith onto me (he was never religious before). My Mom still expects me to pray with her to her Sun God.

From born......

Raised catholic but 1st dawned on me after seeing Meathead on all in the family. I didn't know what Atheism was. After years of immersing myself in the church and really trying, I realized it was all moot. By 18 I was full blown Atheist.

No, I set foot in church for the very first time when I was 8 for VBS. We started going to sunday school and church services regularly soon after. As a kid it was fun. Sunday school and junior church was less about preaching than keeping the kids entertained. As a teen, I tried to join but it really wasn't anything I wanted for myself. Fitting in always requires groupthink and I'm not good at it.

Life got better for me after we started going to church, but I resented the hell out of the fact that my mom needed to go to church to figure out yelling at and smacking a little girl was the wrong way to handle her anger issues.

My family of origin was nominal mainline Protestant until I was about 3 years old at which point my entire family was sucked into fundmanetlism. The proximal cause of this was my oldest brother, who had sort of gone off the deep end acting out with his Navy drinking buddies and would come home, puke on the steps and pass out. Somewhere in the midst of this he realized he had to get a grip on himself and encountered a fundamentalist church where he got "saved" and found a less immediately dysfunctional group where he could find the belonging that he craved.

My family took this as god's direct intervention and converted en masse. I was the last to succumb, mainly because when this all began to go down I was only 3. Just before my 6th birthday I made a profession of faith. It would take me a full 30 years to find my way out.

However I had many inklings before then that it was all bullshit, all the time. I just resisted paying attention to them.

Grew up in a moderatly religious home and really stopped believing in my teens and finished up after reading the bible through at 24, just before I got married.

BillF Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

I'm a first generation American. Most of my family born outside of the US is religious. Everyone born here are more modernist and are not forced into a religious way of thinking.

I always knew that I wasn't a religious person, but as a kid, I did what I was told. I learned how to play the music, and read the stories because they seemed like comics to me. Sure they had lessons, but I regarded them on an Aesop's Fables level, where you can learn a lesson, but not believe in it religiously.

I don't bring on the anti-religion tirad as it is easier to lead them on in their comfort zone than deal with the criticism. I'm actually not so anti-religious unless it harms people or tries to mold my life in a way I don't want it to.

my family was extremely religious. I was a complete fundalmentalist extremeist, wacko. I was born ad indoctrinated from birth, many thought I would become a preacher. It was not until I was almost 30 that I really questioned seriously my beliefs. It was maybe a decade later that I could admit it to myself. Only myself. It was many years later that i came out completely at age 44 in i bleive 2015. I only did when my 14 year old son was sent to the principles office. He said, "ooh my God" in class. The teacher said "don't say that you are a Christian." when he responeded "I am an athiest." She sent him to the princables office. No one knew I was an atheist even my wife of 16 years. I could not let that slide the cat was out of the bag. Almost instantly I became active. My son and I did not even know that we were both atheist until that event.

Yes, and not completely until the 2016 election, when I ditched it all.

Yes. My family is very religious. I started questioning my beliefs around age 14. Im still in the closet with some of them. I don't need a prayer circle surrounding my house or an intervention.

Yes. My parents were the epitome of Irish-Catholic. I think i was in 7th or 8th grade when i began questioning. Then around 15 i completely woke up.

No-Reform Judaism is the least religious sect. When my mother chased me chanting "god is going to punish you." Suffered through 10 yrs of Sunday School.

I didn't believe when my mother dragged me and my siblings to church to check out the priest, or what was under his dress.

Grew up very mormon in Utah county, so Provo Utah. Since I left the church my family don't really talk to me anymore. Oh well. Their loss

I grew up in a Christian home and parents were very involved in church life. I couldn't wait to not have to go every Sunday

Sunny Level 4 Mar 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.