Agnostic.com

87 10

Why do men get so mad when they get rejected?

This is probably already a question circulating but I thought I'd ask myself.

I see this all too often, when a guy PMs a girl with some sort of compliment or come on, and girls can be as sweet as ever with their let down that they are not interested and the guy will come back with profanity and put downs, calling her ugly or fat. I don't get it. Please explain.

valerina 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The best thing you can do is avoid them

Their pride is hurt. when you reject a guy you crush his ego it's basically a defense mechanism

Their brains are immature

Most men just wanna fuck plain and simple

JfFun Level 2 Feb 9, 2019

There is an easy answer! Some "men" are actually very immature!

Atlas Level 3 Feb 9, 2019

I see it as a sense of entitlement, something that is becoming more common with the advent of social media and the anonymity that it provides, so people feel free to express their baser instincts. There's a lot of discussion lately about toxic masculinity, which I suspect comes from a lack of emotional intelligence.

There are certainly many reasons that rejection may manifest in anger. Anger is an easier emotion to deal with as it can be directed outward whereas rejection causes internal questioning. "It isn't me it is her".
As for the expression of that rejection in profane and/or derogatory comments, which we see often in internet postings, they may be the result of the person not having the ability to express themselves in any other way and the lack of consequences for such expressions. These people seem to have a need to have the last word.
Our society has become more accepting of crass behavior, the rise of women demanding a voice and equal treatment in a male dominated and privileged society and ego issues have been discussed. And all may a part in why name calling is acceptable to those who choose to do so.
Having said that - the problem will not go away. People are what they are and each of us has to know that such behavior is not our problem - but theirs.

I do not get that. As a human species, we are all attracted to different people. Sometimes it is a match, others it is not and that is ok. No need to be rude about it. I think a thank you for your candid reply is the best response.

I have no idea. Never done that in my life.

Oh I have been cussed out by a couple girls for not being interested, but it's different for men, I just rolled my eyes and went on my way.

I’m sure it happens. But, I’ve not seen it.

In simplest terms, men (some) are insecure and take rejection as an attack on them. So, they react (immaturely) by attacking in return.

Not one of our finest traits.

May be it has to do with mommy tell you guys -always- that you are the best after spread butter?

I see a lot of men here implying this is a level playing field. It's not. There is no female equivalent of the Incel movement. When a man expresses hostility toward us for rejecting us, we have reason to feel threatened and to fear that he may take that hostility further. In many cases, that open hostility the man expresses can be just the warm-up, and we have no way of telling if that's the case. Men may joke about it, but they seldom have to wonder if the woman they just brushed off will be waiting for them in the parking lot to force themselves on him, injure him, or murder him. These are real concerns for women, and there are stats to prove it. Of course "not all men" are monsters. But the monsters are indistinguishable from the rest of you. Men fear getting screamed at or having their masculinity questioned, if they insult a woman. Women fear being stalked, maimed, and murdered for insulting a man.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 3, 2019

You couldn't have said this better.

So much this! A valid point.

I fully agree with this assessment. I didn't consider this post to be about the incels though. Just men being jerks when rejected. Incels are a completely different beast than the general population. Women have much more to be concerned with in general where rejection happens. I didn't address that with my comment simply because I did not read that as part of the original question in the post. I don't feel that it's a level playing field at all. I do believe that women are as easily pissed off though when they do make advances and men reject them. The aftermath can be much worse where men are rejected. There is no doubt there. In my experience, it's much more rare for women to actually be the one rejected. The number of times I rejected women is far fewer than the number of times I've been rejected. I have never been insulting with my response. I've always been pretty gracious and expressed flattery. Still, it didn't always end nicely. Some just don't know how to handle rejection regardless of gender.

One of the sweet things about being male is that you don't automatically have to take your personal safety into consideration when dealing with the opposite sex. This is something most women do so constantly that it often becomes unconscious habit. Something as simple as walking outdoors alone can be a huge risk for us, and the risk escalates if we have pissed off a man for any reason, intentionally or unintentionally, or even without realizing we have done so. As you say, although I have experienced sexual/romantic rejection and am familiar with how painful it can be, it hasn't happened very frequently. But most women are accustomed to being rejected often in arenas other than romantic, we are accustomed to being interrupted when we speak, we are accustomed to having it assumed that we don't understand things and need to have them explained to us by a man, we are accustomed to waiting our turn even when our turn keeps getting pushed back by the priorities of someone who considers his own far more important, we are accustomed to being assessed for merit purely on the basis of how we look, and hell, we are even accustomed to having to quickly step out of the way of the path of an oncoming man in order to keep from getting body slammed on the sidewalk.

I was thirteen years old the first time a guy tried to rape me in a parking lot after saying I wasn't interested. That same week the lady downstairs was raped and her stomach was cut up. I'd be shocked if most men lived with this type of fear

I've only had that happen once and I decided it was because he was a psycho. Of course there are all different degrees of anger but usually my experience has been one where the guy is only visibly disappointed but not angry.

It goes both ways. Men in general are used to rejection since we are expected to, and the vast majority of the time, have to make the first overture. This fact skews the numbers. Women can get just as nasty as men when rejected. Women are just not put in that position nearly as often as men. It isn't even close.

It happens in both directions. I've had women get downright nasty with me for not accepting their advances. I think there are jerks on both sides of the gender aisle. Most men handle it pretty well, as do most women. Most men are used to rejection. If he doesn't take it well, that just proves your judgment of character is spot on. He's someone you really didn't want to be involved with.

Duke Level 8 Jan 3, 2019

Because most men are fucking psychotic in a masculine/I deserve all my eye sees way. It's baffling. But being the polar opposite of that, I've learned that most of the women I have met want some form of that "kind" of man. Not to say my sample of interactions is grounds for real debate, but in my particular circumstances and experiences, when I'm uninterested or the other party is not, I'll be questioned as to why it doesn't seem to matter to me. It's a weird Dynamic. I love people for people, and if someone does not "like" me back I'm simply okay with that because I'm okay with myself..which many men are not.

What the?! Through random happenstance, I'm writing an essay on this at this very moment. I'll post to Agno when I'm done with it. It's a combination of issues, primarily related to toxic masculinity and horrible chauvinism.

If i could explain I would be a wealthy self help author. Its not just what you've experienced.

Haha yes you would.

It goes both ways.

Agreed. Does it happen a lot to you?

I wouldn't say a lot, but I've definitely been there.

I'm sure some women do get really nasty but I would say it's not uncommon for me to get death threats, rape threats or just called nasty names. "It goes both ways" is accurate technically but it paints a picture of equality which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

@klang72 I do not believe for a fucking minute you are getting inundated with threats of death and rape. It goes both ways is more than accurate, it is fact.

@Sticks48 You can believe whatever you want to but if you read more of this thread you'll find that treatment isn't uncommon. You have to remember you were dating before the internet and things have changed a lot.

@Sticks48 But you're here I assume as a man of science so don't take my word for it. I invite you to make yourself an online dating profile with a picture of a woman and start talking to men and eventually rejecting them. Record your data and let us know.

@klang72 On line is all bullshit. If they don't know where you live it doesn't matter. People say shit on line because of anonymity. All this crap on line is not the real world. I am talking face to face rejection, not this make believe world.

@klang72 This isn't the real world. This is whatever people want to pretend to be.

@Sticks48 That's probably exactly what the men doing all that BS think. But I'm a real person with real feelings and having a computer in between doesn't change that. I had a guy use my photo to find my facebook to find my place of work and show up there. I was a kindergarten teacher at the time so it really freaked me out. I could probably find you with not all that much effort. (I never would because that's messed up- just to be clear.) People have been fired for what they say online. Your online persona is an extension of yourself, especially when you attach things like your picture to it. Just be careful what you say. (Again, not a threat. Just friendly advice.)

@Sticks48 Also- is your argument that it's perfectly fine to threaten people online because online isn't real? Just trying to figure out what you're saying here.

@klang72 You don't have to be on line. if you are on line you don't have to put out any more info than you want to. You see it here all the time. Say what you will, this is not real life. Hence the use of "IRL" continuously online. If this is a persons "real world", they have some very deep issues. This is meant to be a tool not a lifestyle.

@klang72 I'm not saying it is fine. I am saying it is to be expected because of anonymity. People get awfully brazen when you are not face to face. I see people on here all the time saying shit they would never say if they were face to face with people. Face to face these men probably would not even approach you to ask you out. I am not saying women don't have to be careful, but that is a different subject.

@Sticks48 What are you actually trying to say? You're avoiding answering my questions. If women get harassed online it's their own fault for being there? Is it ok to threaten people because it's "not real"? If you had a daughter or a wife and she was online and some stranger was sending her messages saying he was going to find her and kill her would that be cool with you? Should women have to give up using the internet because of the behaviors of men? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying and I'd like some clarification.

@klang72 No, you just want to argue. You can walk down a dark alley at night if you so desire and live with the consequences. There can be consequences to putting too much personal information online. That is up to each individual to decide. You aren't going to change it, I'm not going to change it.It is what it is. You can get involved online as much or as little as you like. As with most things in life, there are tradeoffs. You have to decide which tradeoffs are worth it.

@Sticks48 Just because I'm not letting what you're saying go, doesn't mean I just want to argue. I'm going to call you out just like I'm going to call out any guy perpetuating rape culture and victim blaming. Your "dark alley" comment makes your stance pretty clear. You've really made an example of yourself.

@klang72 good idea. People who have commented here should run a test such as that. From both sides. I have to say, vulgarites often come to my profile in a first message from men. Many times a first contact is a horrible personal attack based on my photo or a coment about why i am single. I always block them with no reply. But why would some one go out of their way to attack someone whom they didnt even know. Baffles me.

I had a guy threaten to kill my mother after I requested a video chat. I had a feeling that I was being catfished, men can waste our time with lies and bs (not always, but it's often). We need to be smart and weed out the jerks. How many women sleep with a man and then get ghosted. So we take time to ask more questions and wait to see what kind of person they are. I tell guys straight up, I don't want to date if you have younger kids. Not each time, but normally, the first response to that is I need to work on myself, I'm ugly, or fat anyways. Well, why are you asking me out? That's what you get for saying no to some men ("some" men, not all guys act this way). Oh, if you don't have sex, talk dirty, or send sex picts they will ghost you, anyways. So...you are not alone. Reasons why, women might be expected to say yes to everything and everyone. If we can't say yes, we are a bitch. Oh well, life goes on! Keep your head up girl 💖

Thank you so much. It's so true and yes not all men but a lot of times these things occur. It sucks and can turn a woman bitter real quick. So again, thank you and you keep yours up as well. ?

That is so freaking common. I had a guy threaten to rape me within an inch of my life when I didn't respond to his message online. I feel like real world behavior has been a lot better but online I almost expect to be abused.

One part sour grapes, one part the fragility of the male ego, one part lashing out because men are shown in our society that they're expected to be dumb and childish and aggressive so being dumb and childish and aggressive is acceptable. Plus traditional social rules governing gender relationships multiplied by the male perception of self worth tied to masculinity by way of ability to attract a targeted mate at will AND the overarching (toxic masculinity warning) insistence that a 'man' should be able to get what he wants, all he has to do is keep trying, don't take no for an answer, and Make. It. Happen.

That's a great point. It seems like many romance movies or romantic comedies hinge on a guy not taking "no" for an answer.

Some men are like this, I doubt most are immature enough to be blatantly aggressive. If nothing else men are taught NO can turn into yes bc women want to feel pursued and like the chase. That's not a defense of stalkers, it's just reality for human mating rituals. I've been pursuing a woman who said she didn't want to hike with me for a few weeks bc she continues to be outright flirty...

Humans generally aren't very mature. Men in many societies are taught anger is an appropriate reaction for almost anything. Heck some women like it when men get upset and compete for them.

Plus as others have said anger and fighting for mates seems common in nature, women acting coy is also natural.

Putting yourself out there is risky, rejection isn't fun and doing the rejection isn't fun for most either and few have the tools to process emotions well.

Personally, I can often tell if a woman wants me to ask her out although I'll never know about women who wanted me to but I was too clueless to notice. I think most women over 30 can flirt well enough they mostly have men they're somewhat interested in pursuing them and can give a polite brush off that most men will respect? Of course there's outliers in both genders.

Disappointment that the time invested on interacting did not result in a semen receptacle.

We should be happy to be rejected. "I'm not interested" well "yahooie" I'm ugly! I'm boring, I'm poor,or this"too short"!!!!!! Actually I've turned rejection around. I'm my mind, I am being complimented

My answer in that situation is always: " Fuck you, dude. Crawl back under the bridge where you come from." That ends it.

@Litefoot555 do you not realize that spinliesel was saying that her replie to rudeness was to tell them fuck you? So she was not instigating the rudeness just giving it back to him.

@Litefoot555 You bring my next question to the plate: Is a woman obligated to like any man who approaches her? Somebody told me "Yes, she is."

That's the sad part...you don't know who the scary ones are until you reject them....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.