Agnostic.com

20 3

Three months to live. Would you do anything differently?

You've contracted an incurable disease. The test have come back positive. Your doctor tells you that you might have three more months.

AstralSmoke 8 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sell my house and give most of the money to my kids and then finish editing my book. But my mornings would start with coffee. I'd still advocate for the disenfranchised and as always, tell my kids who are grown-ups, not to miss me, but celebrate my life with random acts of kindness.

No 'like' button. Thumbs up!

I'll give the boring answer of no, any mistakes I made are part of me and helped me to become who I am aha

You can do different things just because you want to, not necessarily because you were doing anything 'wrong' before.

I’d quit my job and spend all my time with my daughter.

I'd drink, smoke weed, and have sex. Everyday, all day.

Increase my drug and alcohol intake to try and kick off before the timer goes off.

I would steal a donut truck and go on a high-speed chase just so people can see a bunch of cops chasing a donut truck on national TV.

Would this disease kill me suddenly after 3 months, or would my health be on a rapid and steady decline over the 3 months?

It doesn't matter how you set the scenario.

@EdwTheNotSoCool Of course it does. If it was a sudden death I could do stressful things such as skydiving or bungy jumping right up to the end.
My quickly weakening body would not be able to do such things.

Not really. Oh, I might take a trip or two. Maybe have a sit down talk with some old friends I haven't seen in a while, but I don't think there would be much other than that.

I'd probably pay even less attention to societal conventions than I do now. I'd do what made me happy instead of just behaving as expected... with the qualification that I would not do harm to anyone.

Well brother... Sorry that your life is coming to an end so soon. You can sell everything and do a bucketlist. Straighten out your will. Dont give anything away. Put it all in a will. They won't have any gains and have to pay taxes. Lay on the beach and listen to jimmy Buffett. Go on an extented cruise and check out other cultures. Find very poor people in desperation and secretly send them money. Pick up some homeless hopeless helpless people and give them some hope money. Live with some desperate homeless people and surprise them with some money and sneak away. You are a man of means. Create a legacy. Become someone's hope. Buy some groceries and leave it on some poor persons door step. Go to walmart and find that desperate person with limited amount of groceries with kids hanging off them, buy their food for them. Become their hero brother. You are the man. Kindness is a virtue... continue to help others and show others where your heart is. Love you man.

That's quite a bucketlist. If I were a betting man, I'd bet you're not waiting around for another bucket.

I would live on nothing but the foods I love--yes, this means a lot of chocolate (ahhh...death by chocolate); but it would also mean Indian food, Mexican food, and Chinese food (in this order). I would commune with nature knowing that my energy would soon be returning to the universe--thus allowing other life to exist; and I would spend as much time as possible with my family. And, as I am fortunate to live in a state that allows assisted suicide, I would find comfort in knowing I have that option should things become unbearable.

Death by chocolate! It'd be great if you could get delivery (for the food).I've read about a burial that I'd be interested in. The person is buried in an infant pose and a tree is planted over the person. Flowing energy.

Start a Kickstarter campaign and run off with the money to Costa Rica..

They need it there. Know any billionaires?

Assuming hypothetically that I could trust the prognosis, and assuming I felt well enough to DO things, I would not go crazy and burn down the house or anything, but I definitely would be somewhat less careful about money, would go travel on the road to see all the beautiful places I could, and while traveling, I would seek out casual sex [don't judge me 😉 ], something I've never really allowed myself to do. (I'm not in a relationship currently; if I was, I would still respect that) That would absolutely NOT be my main focus or priority, but it would be the one thing I think most out of character for me.

You would change your normal behavior and experience 'out-of-character' situations? Maybe you shouldn't wait?

Based on what I've seen my mother do with an incurable cancer. She was given a three-year death sentence and survived 12 years before finally dying to it. It would live my life normal and focus on the things that make me happy.

Hit up the payday lenders, max out whatever I can to burn as many banks and scumbags as I can, sell everything.

Well since most doctor's of this corrupt medical establishment are lying used car salesmen for big pharma.. I'd get another opinion..also there is nothing 100% incurable..unless a brain tumor maybe..if that was the case..I'd do a daily vlog..and talk about our corrupt medical establishment and how cbd oil could've saved me but because of political red tape I'm left to suffer and die. I would paint..and make beautiful art. I would have a huge goodbye party..with all my friends and family...and live stream it.. In the end I would be at home surrounded by my son and my beloved pets...listening to bluegrass...

You sound very melancholy. Do you paint large or small? Bluegrass music, in my opinion, is good music to work by.

Quit work, pull the kids out of school, and spend a good chunk of that retirement money on a blowout of a family vacation.

Zster Level 8 Nov 17, 2017

What's your version of a blowout family vacation?

Ha, I sometimes think I live my life like I've got 3 days to live ! (haven't got anything planned for Monday onward)
Still got house insurance though - go figure. I suppose If i was able-bodied enough I'd go to some places in the world that I've always wanted to go and check out some family. pretty boring answer, but honest. Andy

It's only boring if you think so.

I like your planning strategy. I'm lucky if I'm planning this evening.

I’d drink more.

1. Quit my job immediately.
  2. Travel to meet up with friends one last time.
  3. Take every illicit drug on the market.
  4. Take part in every depraved sex act imaginable, regardless of whether I'm into it or not.
  5. Draw up a will (maybe).
  6. Prank deathbed conversion.
  7. Write up a ridiculous obit featuring the phrase "autoerotic asphyxiation" prominently as cause of death.
  8. Suicide before the disease progresses too far.

You've got it all planned out. Perfect. Love #6.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.