Agnostic.com

16 0

What`s the difference between being single and emotionally lonely?

ladyinred1967 5 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being single, I am lonely for close contact and daily interactions with another human being. I have always had periods of emotional loneness but I treat those as a normal part of life. I would strive for deeper emotional identification with others and especially with the woman I live with. I have experienced the intense fulfillment and happiness that a realitionship based on mutual care and respect can bring.

Im single, and im lonely but im not emotionally lonely. i think its probably more possible to be emotionally lonely in a relationship.

Being single is a choice you make. Emotional loneliness is a choice made by others because of various reasons that may or may not be because of you.

Gohan Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

I only managed to experience the second one when I was with my last girlfriend

Being single is physical, and emotional is about your state of mind (feelings).

The two can overlap, but can also be totally disctinct, I was emotionally lonely while married,
have been single a few weeks short of 25 years give or take about a 4 years in short term relationships. There is an emotional void there, but I have non romantic attachments, ie kids

I would much rather be single. There is nothing worse than being alone while with someone.

Huge difference... like Night and Day. I been Single but Not Emotionally Lonely... I am a Romantic. I am in Debt to Women until I Die. Always some Lady to Amuse Me. Amazing... amazing what a Man can do when left to his own devices. Amazing.

the difference is vast. I mean I'm single but not lonely. I would love a female friend too and I've been a lot angrier and alone in the wrong relationship.

Personal experience, they seem to be synonymous. Thinking critically however, they really aren't as being single means never having anyone to talk to about very person things and to confide in as an ally against the troubles of life. Emotionally lonely is bad as you're not getting what you need from your partner, but at the same time, they are there and the reason you got together in the first place is still there even if you aren't getting more than what you started with now. Which can be bad, but the alternative is pretty much isolation which eventually leads to being a hermit. And you can be happy in that situation no doubt, but where we are heavily social creatures, the loneliness of not having anyone isn't going to go away. Our primal drive to reproduce and keep the species going prevents it from going away. That's just my thoughts though.

One is a status, the other a feeling.
You can be both single/married/ or in a relationship and STILL be emotionally lonely if you’re not with the right mate or in a healthy environment.

You can be in a relationship and still be emotionally lonely. The two things can coincide, but one is not necessarily the cause of the other.

I am lonely at times, but I reaspect myself too much to be in a unhealthy relationship just for the companionship. I am Single at present. I wouldn't mind being with a compatible significant other, but it doesn't dominate my life.

I'm single, but not lonely.
I felt much more lonely when I was married and in a family. I later realized this constant feeling of being lost and alone came from my being partially transmale; my strong male side felt invisible and overlooked.

You can be single and happy being single or you can be single and miserable being lonely.

single is more like a number, a fact not a state of mind

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.