Agnostic.com

14 5

LINK Wind Energy Has A Waste Problem: Disposing Of The Turbines : NPR

I didn't know this, quite a problem.

HippieChick58 9 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For comparison for each megawatt off nuclear energy (power plant only) we have 40 metric tons of steel and 456 metric tons of concrete (all radioactive ) to dispose of which require special handling. average plant size is 1 gigawatt so multiply those number by 1000 and all that waste is disposed of at the same time. life 60 years
onshore wind turbines produce 2-3 megawatts per tower with less than 50 tons of fiber waste and are replaced one unit at a time. replaced at 10-20 year intervals

So it is 500 tons of radioactive waste per megawatt vs 150 tons of currently nonrecylble waste over the same life span

Well it is an issue, but on the bright side they piss tRump off.

All technology, whether it be touted as 'green' or not has downsides. There is also a big problem with bird strikes and turbines.

Still learning will probably find a way

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 15, 2019

The article said two companies were already recycling some blades. Like all plastic recycling, the cost is higher than companies want to pay; they prefer to pay not and pollute the world.

Not a problem at all, just not something to make money with. Getting rid of spent fuel rods from nuclear power plants, that's a problem.

They are huge inside... Housing for the homeless?

Big fiberglass blades is not too huge an issue. (No pun intended)

Comparable to the disposal of millions of very large lithium battery units for electric cars.

BD66 Level 8 Sep 15, 2019

??? I have friends with ele tric cars, Prius, etc......"very large...batteries"??? You make it sound like they are bigger than the actual (very small!) Cars......

@AnneWimsey A Tesla Model S battery weighs 1200 pounds. That's 25% to 30% of the weight of the car.

@BD66 okay, but those Teslas are a. Minuscule market...most viable electric vehicles, like the Prius, use flywheel boosters, so the battery is a "normal" one.

Heck, I feel annoyed/guilt/sad when I dispose of my hearing aid batteries every week; and those are teeny tiny but two every 5 to 7 days. I don't see a good way around any of it.

@AnneWimsey I have a PriusC and don't even know where the battery is. There are actually 2, one for the drive motor and one regular one which is under the back seat.

There'll always be issues with our energy production equipment, until we figure out Fussion energy.

I heard this as I was driving to work and thought if this was the worst, I’ll take it.

Looks like a housing opportunity to me.

We have a greater problem with the disposal of redundant oil rigs in the North sea. It's going to cost £millions and who is going to pick up the tab ?

The platforms can be left in place as artificial reefs and the superstuctures can be mostly recycled. If the govenment was on the ball, the removal was stipulated in the drilling permit. Most of the drilling rigs are temporary structures that are towed into place.

@glennlab [theguardian.com]
[theguardian.com]
It is estimated that decommision costs in the North sea will be around £66 billion and because the oil companies get massive rebates on this cost the taxpayers pays.
It makes the recycling of a few turbine rotor blades small beer.

I don't think it is as bad as what fracking and monoculture are doing.

Can't be near as bad as getting rid of old nuclear facilities.

for each megawatt off nuclear energy (power plant only) we have 40 metric tons of steel and 456 metric tons of concrete (all radioactive ) to dispose of which require special handling.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402308
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.