Agnostic.com

23 2

Do we need religion to provide a sense of justice?

Many look to religion to provide a counterbalance to the evil & injustice of this world. They believe the good will go to heaven & the bad will go to hell. In the East, they believe people will have a good or bad reincarnation, depending on the karma they have generated.

Do you believe there is any justice other than that we as humans create?

Remiforce 7 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What people did is another story. The answer to your question is - No, we do not need religion to provide a sense of justice. Justice comes from the sense of right and wrong that does not come from religion. That was how we were brainwashed to believe that goodness was in the church and world outside is full of evil. The sense of right and wrong comes from the values of humanity.

We can make a rational sense of justice based on enlightened self interest & our preceptions of the greatest good for the greatest number. But since people are imperfect, the justice we create will always be imperfect, based more on our needs, or more accurately the needs of the powerful among us, than an ideal.But still we should strive to express the ideal of justice

Hell no, we do not need religion to provide a sense of justice. It is religious people who constantly practice injustice. What we need it a common agreement that the core of a good moral system is treating all humans and our environeent with full dignity and respect.

Of course humans do not need religion to provide sense of justice.

What is needed is empathy, kindness and cooperation.

Unfortunately those things are in short supply

No. How could there be? The universe at large isnt just. Local nature isnt just. If a person wants justice they have to work together to create it

The universe & nature definitely are not just. I believe the only justice we have is that we as a people create for ourselves, imperfect as that is. Often justice is distorted by powerful interests.

From a cosmic perspective the concept of justice is meaningless, however, in our daily lives the concept is socially useful. If you are playing chess you have to go by the rules of chess, etc.

I think for some strata of society religion does provide a useful guide. For others prison is the guide.

Anyone smart and courageous enough to turn away from religious dogma about sin and atonement should be able to set their own course in the world based on compassion and love and forgiveness for perceived injustice.

The universe & nature do not appear to have the concept of justice. The big fishes eat the little fishes & all that. Justice appears to be a human construct based on our relation with our fellows & society as a whole

Children develop very early a sense of what is fair & what is not. It may be skewed to their self interest, but it is there. A child will protest loudly if they feel someone got a bigger piece of cake than they did.

So justice is part of our social contract, & does not depend on any universal principles or god's will. If there is something that we can call god, & he,she,it has a will, it doesn't not appear to involve our interests, It is up to us to protect & maintain justice in our existence

@Remiforce We agree on a lot of things.

@Remiforce It's not just a social contract. There are biological reward systems that favor empathy & community.

@Remiforce Sorry but you need to do a search on animal morality, there are hundreds of studies out there on the instinctual origins of morality and especially a sense of justice. It does not start with human culture. But even so whether it starts with human culture or in our animal natures, it certainly does come before religion, religions claims to have created morality and justice are no different from the claims it once made that it could bring the rains, just a way to get money and devotion out of people for pretending to provide what was theirs to start with.

@Fernapple Isn’t the animal sense of justice mostly just a tool for living in a particular group? Outside that group I thought it was the law of the jungle.

If so, that would seem to preclude any grand universal morality or justice.

@WilliamFleming Of course but isn't our sense of justice just a tool for living in a group too. The fact that it can be distorted by cultural programming, does not affect its basic primal nature.

@Fernapple Sure.

Sorry but you need to do a search on animal morality, there are hundreds of studies out there on the instinctual origins of morality and especially a sense of justice. It does not begin with human culture. But even so whether it starts with human culture or in our animal natures, it certainly does come before religion, religions claims to have created morality and justice are no different from the claims it once made that it could bring the rains, just a way to get money and devotion out of people for pretending to provide what was theirs to start with.

We create gods to have an external justification of things we created.

It is difficult to explain to a bronze age semi-slave farmer that he musty give up part of his free will to follow a complex system of laws that will stabilize society, increase production, avoid spread of diseases, generating more food, more man power to defend the community against the neighbor tribe avoiding his death of mass rape and possibly even expanding our community territory.

It is easier to say that an all powerful being that controls the universe says so.

Unfortunately the average person, even today, doesn't understand complex social, economic, political realities. They need a simple, dramatic, emotional shorthand to get their acceptance & cooperation.Enter religion & Fox News (except with Fox News, it's distortions to serve the interests of sinister billionaires)

Hm-mm, justice or injustice and just or unjust. Weird.

Justice & injustice appear to be self reflecting concepts of the human mind. They appear to have no relation with the universe or nature

There are cases of "natural justice" where bad people are undone by their own flaws. However satisfying it is to see this play out, it's not remotely reliable. And justice after death is not verifiable. If justice is important to us we must take responsibility for it.

I don’t like the threat of hell for punishment. We need to understand why not to do things instead of threatening us with eternal punishment.

Probably not anymore but I think we need to remember the religious notions that brought us to this point. I'm saying that because I feel respect for justice is falling in direct proportion to the fall in respect for religion.

In the past, our ideas of justice were based largely on the religious concepts of good & evil, Respect for religion is falling in many parts , although it is rising elsewhere. Respect for justice is falling because many people are beginning to realize it has been co opted by powerful special interests & no longer works for the people, if it ever really did..

God has been seen in the past as the Great Policeman in the Sky, who enforces the rules & punishes hidden crimes in the afterlife, but we are rapidly losing that comforting notion.

There have been moments when I wished hell was a real place because I had to deal with people I felt deserved to end up there, but in general, religion has nothing to do with what I would consider justice. On the contrary, many of the crimes or sins that apparently warrant eternal torture by believers aren't even mildly unattractive in my universe.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 17, 2019

I, too, wish hell was a real place. I've met several people I'd like to send there. I would start with many of the religious hypocrites who mess up people's minds with this nonsense.

It is hard for many people to accept, but just because we want something to be real doesn't mean it is.

Any "justice" carried out by something other than humans is unlikely to fall within our notion of justice.
So, no. I do not believe there is any justice for humans besides that which humans make.

Iagree. Heaven & hell & reincarnation according to one's merits or demerits is just wishful thinking

I watched the movie American Hangman a short while ago. Really got me wondering about our sense of justice. Is it really justice if A murders B so C (the state) kills B? The movie analyzes that sort of a situation. A man kills a little girl so the state puts a man to death. At the end the main character says (from my memory), "That wasn't justice. Justice would have been bringing the girl back to life." I think I agree. But can we really accept that justice simply isn't possible?

It would be nice if we could bring the murdered little girl back to life, so society has to do the best it can & try to make certain this type of situation doesn't happen again, at least with the murderer. We can have a discussion about the justice of the death penalty. Personally I feel in the case of very heinous crimes, it is justified, as long as proper safeguards are in place to minimuze the chance of executing an innocent person

@Remiforce I think that in attempting to make sure things don't happen again and calling that justice, we are simply failing miserably at both. If my lessons I've learned raising children are of any merit, I would say that when you are genuinely trying to stop bad behavior from being repeated, you do things a little differently than when you are focused on punishing others. Those little differences make a big change, however. I think our society has a punishment mindset rather than a teaching mindset and I think the increasingly violent crimes are one symptom of that.

I personally am in favor of the death penalty but not as an "eye for an eye" type of punishment. More of a protection when someone has demonstrated an extreme degree of depravity and you want to ensure that they are never able to repeat that behavior again. I'm not a huge fan of locking people up for life or of jail in general. I think we'd see huge changes by requiring people to make restitution rather than just locking them up. We also would struggle to force people to make restitution for "crimes" that aren't really hurting people, like using drugs.

We create our own justice. The idea of justice might escape us altogether or it might take 20 or more years for justice to even happen. None of this has anything to do with gods.

I think if we want justice, it is up to us to create & maintain it

No, I think we just need to honor more humanitarian ideals... protect those that actually need protecting and draw harder lines on what is good for the majority and what isn't.

AmyLF Level 7 Sep 23, 2019

I think we can base our sense of justice on enlightened self interest & John Staurt Mill's ideas about the greatest good for the greatest number. To my mind, justice is not something we experience, it is something we create

Justice is the natural order of things. It operates through the immutable laws of physics and the laws of creative force. What that entails we can’t ever know other than those things which we encounter in our own lives.

As Tevya sang in "Fiddler on the Roof", "Would it hurt some vast, eternal plan--if I were a wealthy man?"

Much in our existence we do not, & perhaps cannot, understand. I assume you are talking about "the laws of creative force" in a poetic sense, as no one knows if there is such a force at work. A creative force would imply a sense of purpose, as when something is created, it is done for a purpose. But we don't know if there really is a purpose to all this.

Justice in any sense we can comprehend doesn't seem to function in the the natural order of things. What we encounter is what it is, so as a practical matter, we must take life on life's terms, not ours

@Remiforce Exactly. Nature responding to whatever laws are inherent within it.

Religion doesn't help the ones doing the evil don't believe or care

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 18, 2019

Religion is often used as a cover for evil

I don’t really understand what other kind of justice there could possibly be...everything apart from natural forces...i.e. elemental forces, are manmade. That of course includes religion and any religious concept of justice.

If religious people derived their morals from their religions sacred texts we would not have any religious people to worry about they would all be dead or imprisoned.

You're kidding, right?

“Religion poisons everything”. Said by a giant of an intellectual. I really, really miss him.

your point that many people look to religion for a moral compass, as it were, is a sad one, since it means that without religion they would have to turn to someone else to tell them how to think. i do not actually think there is justice, period. we may have a sense of it and strive for it, but the world doesn't care, and nature is not just or unjust, it just is. but for me the question ends in the middle of the first sentence: do we need religion? i don't. if i don't, does that mean no one does? i don't know. if they keep it to themselves at least it does not more harm than someone wearing a style of dress that doesn't suit me. unfortunately, some religionists refuse to keep it to themselves.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403432
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.