Agnostic.com

11 22

Global Climate march report. Hot, thirsty and hungry.

It was great to see all the schoolchildren participating!

About 150 people attended. Led by high school students, we marched two miles on city streets in hot sun and wind. Typical of teenagers, they did not think about participant's physical needs. No water, bathroom breaks or snacks.

"I love your sign," Chris said. "People are saying someone has a sign that says, "I can't believe I'm protesting for reality." Drivers laughed and called, " Really! Very funny!"

The plan was to assemble at the high school, march to city hall for speeches, then downtown to protest at Chase Bank (ineffective), hoof two miles south to the Community Center for a film.... and then what? The long slog back to the high school?

I was worried about the elementary school kids. They needed food and water. We had been walking for two hours. They missed lunch.

"Go back! We're going the wrong way!" a girl yelled through a bullhorn. I lost heart.

"I'm going to peel off to the YMCA to get a drink of water," I said. From there, I quickly walked a mile back to the car. Felt guilty for sneaking off. A few parents with small children also left.

In the Spring and fall, it's hard to figure out what to wear. When I left home at 10:30, it was 55 degrees. I needed a jacket. By noon, my clothes were soaked with sweat. The sign was handy to shade my face from the sun.

It was great exercise to walk fast holding the sign overhead for three hours, flipping it around with strong wind resistance.

Photo: Waiting for students to arrive from surrounding schools.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why is it good to brainwash children and feed them the environmental BS? Children who don't even know yet that that need to drink and urinate? These "protest" organizers are no better than the clergy!

zesty Level 7 Sep 21, 2019

The environment is real, protecting it is a good thing.

Uh...survival? Never mind, I see that you are in Florida. Reality will catch up with you soon enough.

Also was at a local climate march - largely organized by a local college (Wellesley College - yep, that's where Hillary went!). I am also coach for our science team and tried to get the entire team (total 45 students) to march from the high school to town hall after school (on a very sunny and pleasant Friday afternoon) but only got about a half dozen to actually take the 10 min 😟 There were many college students and quite a few local adults, closer to my age (!), and some younger kids too. A couple of kids from the high school spoke - impressive to a younger teen to speak before a crowd of people older than her.

Hope over all it was a sucess for you

Good job Kathleen! ...you did your best

twill Level 7 Sep 20, 2019

Thank you for protesting.

CS60 Level 7 Sep 20, 2019

Yeah , thank!you ! Suggest next time , you go a bit more prepared , instead of relying on others to take care of you .

@Cast1es

Over the years, I have joined enough marches to know what it's like. I was concerned about the little kids. I had no idea it would last 3-4 hours.

As a YMCA program director for eight years, I directed day camps with 180 kids.

Getting ready, I considered carrying a water bottle. Decided it was too difficult to juggle. Hoped for water fountains along the way. No luck.

Marching, I was carrying my purse with an asthma inhaler, lip sunscreen, keys, a camera and large sign. When I got hot, I hung my jacket over an arm.

It was great exercise to walk fast holding the sign overhead for three hours, flipping it around with strong wind resistance.

Well done! Greta Thunberg will be in Montreal next week for a climate strike and I'll be there. It's gonna be huge! Can't wait!

I like the signage, keep up the good work! Even small personal changes can make a difference. 😉

Sounds like nature at it's finest. You can't protest climate change unless you are all of those things.

Hope all these kids are up for enforced sterilisation ... its the only way to slow down climate change (apart from a mass extermination and even kids won't vote for that)

When agriculture suffers, famine will kill millions.

@bingsttrue - but we may run out of drinking water before then

We sent our 4,5 and 6th graders. Here in DC the weather was warm but not horribly hot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:404726
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.