Agnostic.com

16 9

When I told my mother I as an Atheist she just laughed and said she had known a long time. At family events she usually gives me an out before praying and overall doesn't preach or judge me. (At least for that.) Coming from Oklahoma it seems that I am in the minority when it comes to my relationship with my parents. Maybe it helps that they were never overly religious to begin with? I don't know where I am going with this but joining other local Atheist groups there is a lot of anger towards parents and I guess that has always confused me. If you feel like contributing please go ahead.

Coryw1987 3 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother laughed and then said "No your not," She simply denied the fact for many years. Not that big a challenge for the faithful. The same woman that proudly called herself a reprobate on other occasions. Doublethink is a real thing for our monkey minds.

Welcome to the community! Consider yourself fortunate. I belong to a number of FB atheist groups and see frequent posts from atheist "children" who are terrified of coming out to their families because they know there will be severe consequences. It's wonderful that your mom recognizes and respects your Atheism. Your situation seems more the exception than the rule.

Its nice you still have a good relationship with your folks.

You have a very cool mom.

You're lucky. Too many parents love who they want their kids to be but have very little tolerance for the people they really are.

I'm just glad your parents can let you be you. Good for them. Good for you.

When I was in grade 3 I came home for lunch. I aked my father what religion we were. He said tell them you aren't superstitious. Mrs. Smith my grade 3 teacher didn't find that funny. My mother wasn't happy that Dad got me in trouble. My father would stay home Sunday morning and watch bowling on TV. It was the only thing on in the early 60's Sunday morning here other than church shows. My mother would dress the 4 kids and we would go to church.

You are lucky. I've went from precher to atheist and it confused my daughters but they were confused anyway. My stepfather once told me "you are going to split hell wide open" as if this place called hell was something that you dive into.
I still have a former religious friend who always finds time to "preach" to me in our conversations. If we talk politics he warns me of what the bible says. Sometimes I answer him back that the bible says nothing all about our politics. Sorry. It just doesn't.

OK, Im very curious, what was the tipping point that took you from clergy to Atheism?

To start with anybody can be a Pentecostal preacher. Even so, theology school has nothing to teach you that can be known as fact. Religion is simply framed around facts and not a fact itself. It's all made up. For example, do you believe that a man was caught up into heaven? How about a man who flew to heaven on a winged horse? Then we have a man raised from the dead?

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Congratulations on having a good mon, especially in that part of the country.

My parents were religious, but tjheu were doing what theythought was right. I have no reason to be angry abour that.

Great comments, lucky man.

I never actually "came out" to my parents and like your mom, Ijust think they always knew. Both of my parents are believers but they raised me to make my own choice. I never -told- them Iwas atheist until that started to cause a problem in my relationships and they were always supportive of me. Indeed, some people had it very bad and that's unfortunate.

I love my parents. They are super Catholic, judgemental, and Republicans. So a lot of things that conflict my beliefs. They only know what they were raised to believe. I can't say the same for being Republicans, lol

Cool mom, and story! Thanks for sharing! My parents weren't religious, they just wanted us to make our own decision. I'm fortunate for that, some people have it bad!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40605
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.