Agnostic.com

68 3

DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD TURN TO THE COMFORT OF THE CONCEPT OF GOD WHEN YOU'RE DYING?

Christopher Hitchens, the famous atheist, died of cancer. He said if he turned to the concept of god in his suffering, don't believe him.

The process of dying, for many people, involves a great deal of physical & psychological suffering. Do you think, in that situation, you would stay with your agnosticism or atheism, or would you turn to the supposed comfort of the concept of god?

Remiforce 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was pointed out to me, if the dieing person tells the person trying to convert them that they accept God, then they get left alone. Otherwise they have to suffer.

Good strategy, Fake it till they take it away from you. The old kiss off

Nope. I don't find the concept of god comforting, like at all. The thought that I'd be trapped in any one place for all eternity is terrifying, and the abrahamic concept of god is freakin cruel and terrifying.

Nope. Never. I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't do that under any circumstances.
I'd rather be dead than ever "turn to god" for ANY reason.
Hopefully, I'll be conscious enough in case anyone comes in with that garbage, so I can tell them to get the fuck out.
If anyone starts praying over me, I'm going to have real problem with it.
I don't even understand why anyone would find "comfort" in a delusion they know is completely non-existent.

Who knows? Maybe if anyone tries that garbage, it'll be enough for me to rally.

LOL

Well when my father was dying with cancer I did not pray nor did he want to be prayed for

@bradholland10 Exactly.
I'm very sorry for your loss. That must have been extremely difficult for you to endure.

For me, the bottom line is that no matter what we believe, and no matter what we do, we are ALL going to die.
I have accepted that eventuality. I'm really okay with it, and I intend to face
my own demise with as much dignity as the circumstances allow.

Can you hear me repeating "god dammit" over and over?

No. I have never believed and can never envisage ever turning to religion. I have gone through the loss of both my husband and my 42 year old son, and have never at any time felt the urge to turn to a mythical god for comfort.

I would probably not be crying unto the Lord for comfort, but unto the doctor with the morphine injection

Good choice. One drug is a lot more available & reliable than the other.

I agree with you. I found the Dr.s and nurses with the pain medication much quicker to relieve my pain and perform more beneficial surgeries at the time. I would still be in excruciating pain and in need of surgery if I had waited on God.

If I do, please conclude that I was mentally unstable before death

I would not. Although I am in no hurry to get there, I have no fear of death. It simply means I will be where I was before my parents conceived me.

You mean "nothing"! ?

@TimeOutForMe If "nothing"in this context means no longer having conscious existence, then yes.

No.

If you've not believed bullshit all your life, you don't suddenly start believing bullshit at the end of your life.

Even if I were tempted, which god should I choose?

JimG Level 8 Sep 24, 2019

Pick a fun one. Laughter is the best medicine. I don’t know any fun gods but you can make up a fun one just as believers created their god.

@Lady-DebianLinux it'd probably be Bacchus then.

Died twice, both times it never occurred to me to ask anything of the Tooth Fairy.....not for one second!

I will never return to religion as it makes no sense.

I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone else's blood and I have no problem with going out the same way...

Wait, what was the question?

That is a really good question. As the saying goes, "There are no atheists in a foxhole." A lot of the comments here assert that they would remain atheist. Personally, I am not sure. I'm not a huge fan of hypothetical questions. I don't think we can ever answer them 100% conclusively. We can take an educated guess as to how we would behave in hypothetical situations, but we surely do not know for certain.

I'm atheist and have endured what I regard as considerable suffering and can honestly say that in my suffering I prayed. I didn't believe anything could hear my prayers but I did just the same. I think anyone, regardless of how adamant they are to say they would never do so, if their fear and suffering is strong enough they would do anything to abate either. Even pray.

Gawd Level 5 Oct 5, 2019

You are a wise man. No one knows what they would do in such asituation. Never say never

I'm going to describe some completely made up bullshit that I can see from my deathbed, then just before I die, give them a little smile and whisper...just kidding. 😂

its only going to happen too me once so how do i know how i will be?

it would not be comfert but desperation

No I would not. I thought I was dieing and thought to my self ok this is not bad.

I do not know how I will feel about this when the time comes ,but I don’ want to be around when it happens

Absolutely would not.

I thought about.. On my deathbed... Having a room filled with people and the moment comes and I know I'm slipping away... Saying, "Oh no... Satan! I'm going to Hell.."

If I could work in a wink to my sister, an avid Pastafarian, I might do that.

Don’t know, I’ll tell you when I’m dying!

I do not find the idea of gods comforting. This is why I am no longer a believer. I cannot worship one forever and ever. Even the first 10,000 years is a big stretch for me.

No. I don’t find the idea of a god comforting.

Nope...

As a life long Atheist I always tell my family & friends that if I have a conversion on my death bed don’t believe it, the weakness of my illness has not only affected my body but my mind as well.

I found the concept of God very harmful to me and gave it up when my life was unbearably painful. I doubt dying would change my mind back.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.