Agnostic.com

68 3

DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD TURN TO THE COMFORT OF THE CONCEPT OF GOD WHEN YOU'RE DYING?

Christopher Hitchens, the famous atheist, died of cancer. He said if he turned to the concept of god in his suffering, don't believe him.

The process of dying, for many people, involves a great deal of physical & psychological suffering. Do you think, in that situation, you would stay with your agnosticism or atheism, or would you turn to the supposed comfort of the concept of god?

Remiforce 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is even worse is that the final comfort we give to many animals, is often denied to humans because of the historical legacy of theism.

When your dog or cat is very sick & beyond hope of recovery, we can do the final act of love & "put them to sleep". Many say it's too bad we can't do that with people, but unfortunately health insurance companies & greedy relatives waiting for an inheritance would love it

@Remiforce Yes I know there are practical dangers as well, but I do think that such problems can be solved, the main reason is still the legacy of theism. I have spent a lot of time by death beds, mainly those of people with cancer, and I can tell you that the amount of unneeded suffering caused, is beyond all imagination. I can also tell you that the line put out by the medical people, that they can manage death well with drugs and give a good quality of death, is often just BS, they tell to relatives and themselves to make their own jobs endurable, the reality is that for the most part they fail completely in that.

@Fernapple I believe "a good death" is an oxymoron. The lucky ones are killed instantly & don't have time to suffer, or unexpectedly die in their sleep. For most people, it is a mess, but one can make it less of a mess by accepting it & not resisting it, if you can

@Remiforce
Death I have no problem with, and it is more than acceptable, but the dying is a different matter. I have witnessed people lying for hours in pain waiting for pain relief while medical staff were busy elsewhere, being forced to exert great effort for days on end to fight for breath by their bodies own reflexes, when they long since wanted it to be over, and lying for hours in their own shit thanks to a general lack of care. Not to mention the possible tedium of have nothing to do but stare at the ceiling for days after the power to communicate with others has gone. And that is is lucky few whose debility did not last for years.

I think it depends on how entrenched someone is in their beliefs. If they’re early in their questioning, then maybe. But for folks who’ve thought long and hard about it and are convinced there’s no god, why would they suddenly think there is one?

This would be akin to a person who’s devoutly religious suddenly becoming an atheist on their deathbed. Why would that happen?

I will die as I live. I will not start believing in fairytales because of the inevitability of death. The suffering and discomfort will not change one way or another because of a belief in an imaginary being.

I have survived 27 days on life support, 11 surgeries on my leg along with other medical problems and have never found God. I have talked with multiple people who claim to have found God while on their deathbed or who were facing lengthy prison sentences. How come everyone finds him when their down and out or at their worse but don't even look for him when they are doing well or are comfortable with where they are.

The god of the gaps is often the gap when the trap door falls out from under you & you're falling to perdition. Very few people say, "It's a beautiful day today, I think I'll go & believe in god"

I hope your medical issues have improved

I would hope that I would be able to use the proper logic and reasoning I have now in order to remain atheist til death, but who knows what state my brain would be in at that time? That said, if I am able to use my logic and reasoning as well as I can today, you can bet your ass I'm gonna remain atheist on my deathbed.

I think it really doesn't matter what someone says or does on their deathbed, assuming they're lucky enough to have a bed. They'll still be dead

Why would I need to turn to Christianity for comfort after death?
The problem with alot of people on this page is that they have to equal life after death to religion and I'm here to tell you don't have to. Yes, your consciousness survives after death. No you don't need to be afraid of the tunnel of light. Yes you have to be afraid of the black hooded being coming for you after you have passed. If you do go with the black hooded being, you'll discover that hell is basically work without pay.
There are three sciences that people like to ignore.
The science of evolution
The science of climate
The science of consciousness.

I agree we should become more aware of evolution, climate, & consciousness.

While nobody knows what happens to our consciousness after death, nobody really knows what our consciousness is either. The possible survival of our consciousness is not necessarily linked to religion. I think we can think of a science of consciousness, although I think we should be careful about fairy tales about black demons & the bardos in The Tibetan Book of the Dead

I'm curious as to how you are confident in the continuation of consciousness after death. Would you share what compels you to believe this?

I don't know what comfort it would add. I have come to terms with dying and I assume it will be much like the period before I existed, which means I won't be aware of that either.

Death may be a return to unconsciousness & the end of our conscious being. We may hope something of our being remains, but hope does not indicate reality

No, I just lived through cancer and it was not even a thought. Pissed me off when I got all those toys & pears. I had a co-worker who still has cancer that I need to find jesus. It was all I could do to not tell him jesus wasn't saving him. He's still living, but going down hill.

Nice you had friends who gave you toys & pears. What can someone do when a friend has cancer. At least they didn't pray for you.

If jesus could cure cancer, he would make a fortune with his quack clinic in Mexico

Since I would be the engineer on the train bound for hell if there was a god, nope. I'm good with my lack of existence when I die.

I might give a quiet "shout out" to the big man upstairs just in case, like so many athletes do when they've won some grand contest.

I will remain atheist until I die. Fake gods provide no comfort for me.

Dying doesn't bother me in the least. I do however worry about my children. Luckily I raised strong ones so I know they will be okay

I seriously doubt I will turn to God, but you never know. I did have a scare a few years back with a heart attack. I remember waking up after quadruple bypass surgery with a respirator. I was told that I would be attached to that, and until I can show them I can breath without it, they will keep me attached.

I kept holding my breath to see if I could trigger it (I never did which was probably a good thing since my daughter and father were in the room). Even when I'm under the influence I'm an asshole.

Woody Allen says he doesn't mind dying. He just doesn't want to be there when it happens

100% will stay true. I've never been anything except atheist and the entire concept of religion is fascinating, but very troubling to me. I love Hitch. I can't believe it's been nearly 8 years since he's passed!

I miss him too. His incisive mind was astounding. We need that ascerbic insight in today's clown show of nonsense

Miss you, Hitch

Iwould stay with being atheist, I believe in eternal youth. and no suffering, I would turn to the doctors and nurses and cable TV for comfort before I croaked.

personally, i don’t think i would. i don’t find the idea of god very comforting anymore. supernatural belief as a whole is different though. i say i don’t believe in an afterlife and that’s true, but when my depression and anxiety kick in, sometimes i have to let myself hope for one. so i might turn to some sort of supernatural belief if i was dying but god? nope. even if the god i was raised believing in was real, i’d still say fuck him.

Depends on how I die. If I die with a sound mind, No. Unless credible evidence is presented to support the god assertion. (I'm not holding my breath expecting any testable evidence supporting god) I would not enter the darkness of superstition at the end of my life.

However, If I develop a degenerative brain disease that severely reduces my cognitive ability, (no longer recognize anybody I once knew, become unable to differentiate up from down, I would suppose it may (unlikely) be possible, with a malfunctioning brain, I would accept the god assertion. I really don't anticipate this outcome.

I always thought I would imagine myself as a crew member of the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D. That would be a comforting death fantasy.

I wouldn’t turn to a god for comfort. However, I would appreciate positive people for comfort.

i know for a fact i would not.

g

Yup stay the same

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 24, 2019

NO way in hell. I am prepared. I am 82 years old and have just found out that my heart function is declining. I am not afraid, and know that this the course of nature.

No - as the concept is of no comfort to me at all. In fact, if I'm on my deathbed, or whatever, and anyone should start praying near me, if I'm at all able, I'll smack 'em !

I cannot speak for "normal" people, but as a High-functioning Asperger's Syndrome person, when I though I was going to die (had stage four cancer in the Spring-Summer of 2018 ) I did not turn to god. As an Aspy, the concept of heaven is off-putting...a social place where god and everyone else is all up in one's business. For me, there is no lure to the concept of a heaven...nothing that I would want to involved in. Eternal oblivion strikes me as way more appealing. 🙂
So no, I would rather turn to the "comfort" of morphine when I am dying.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.