Agnostic.com

68 3

DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD TURN TO THE COMFORT OF THE CONCEPT OF GOD WHEN YOU'RE DYING?

Christopher Hitchens, the famous atheist, died of cancer. He said if he turned to the concept of god in his suffering, don't believe him.

The process of dying, for many people, involves a great deal of physical & psychological suffering. Do you think, in that situation, you would stay with your agnosticism or atheism, or would you turn to the supposed comfort of the concept of god?

Remiforce 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I take far more comfort from knowing that i am the universe expressing itself, and therefore as long as its around, so am "I", whether this particular pattern is, or not.

I did hear that some Agnostics/Atheists changed their minds on their death beds. One of the people was Charles Darwin. I heard this in a sermon, so I don't know the exact source of the where the Pastor heard it.

Its an urban myth.

I'd want a whole lot of evidence that it was true before believing such a thing. Either way, does it really matter if someone changed their mind about something on their deathbed? Pretty much everyone in the world believed the earth was flat at one point in time but that didn't make it true. Belief, even deathbed beliefs, don't change anything.

@UpsideDownAgain There were four examples, if I remember correctly, in that sermon. I know you could give a hundred examples and the point is the same - are they actually true? I don't think changing your mind at the last minute matters much though. You may experience regret or an altered way of thinking, but that's it. I really hope that God does exist though.

@Fernapple So you've heard it before then.

@Flowerwall Are they true, is a very good question indeed. Since you can't ask the people who reportedly had these deathbed changes of heart, it's a bit tricky to prove, which I think is the whole point.

I took a minute to look up information on Darwin's alleged sudden change of heart and was amused to find a Christian site recanting the information. I thought the final sentence in the article was interesting: "It is unfortunate that the story continues to be promoted by many sincere people who use this in an effort to discredit evolution when many other great arguments exist, including the greatest: the Bible."

@Flowerwall Yes I heard from a good historian, though I can not remember who, that it is quite untrue. Though who knows what happens on a death bed anyway. And of course there is no real evidence that Darwin ever left Christianity in the first place, for although he did not practice, to my knowledge he still remained in the church.

I'm an Atheist, I don't believe in any gods. So the answer is NO, I wouldn't turn to a god if I was dying.

How would I know? I am in Great Health. Over 54 years of atheism and running.

An elderly Catholic I know told me that as I near death I will remember his god.

I replied that if we can work out a way I can enjoy my winnings, I will bet him every penny I have.

Beware elderly Catholics. Their minds are AWOL.

I have found it wise to beware of young catholics too. They have been brainwashed by holy mother church. Fortunately I survived catholic school & my mind is still dirty

It was pointed out to me, if the dieing person tells the person trying to convert them that they accept God, then they get left alone. Otherwise they have to suffer.

Good strategy, Fake it till they take it away from you. The old kiss off

No. I'm sure my family and friends would be turning to their Lord for comfort and understanding, but not me. I'd be pulling to get every extra minute I could out of my existence.

If your family & friends pray for you, they are really praying for themselves, for that is what we do when we pray for others. I would let them have their comfort.

I think the thing is not to squeeze out the last possible agonized minute on the deathbed, but to live each moment to the fullest while alive

Never...not in this lifetime! Not for me! It makes no sense, unless god is the figment of a person’s imagination...and I hold no such imagination!

I became a widow very young, result of someone falling asleep behind the wheel while my husband was asleep as a passenger. Kevin was an organ donor which gave me a modicum of comfort....till I discovered my mother-in-law overrode his documented wishes. The whole funeral was NOTHING like I knew he would’ve wanted. And I feared the same from the Mormon side of my family should I kick the bucket young and single. Turns out a signature and sticker on your license isn’t enough documentation. The fix? At the ripe old age of in-my-early 20’s, I drew up a very specific advanced directive. (I need to update it, so thanks for the reminder!)

My directive states I want my body donated to science and with whatever money I have left, have a party while playing all of my favorite music. Live band or iPod playlist doesn’t matter just NO church organ and not in a church for that matter.

After reading Michael Pollan’s latest almost 2 years ago, if I am lucky enough to have people with me while I drift off. Everyone in the room including myself must munch on some Funky Fungus 🍄and if possible I’d like my last breath to be a bong rip.

I’m going MY WAY.

An Advance Directive is a good idea. I see you probably like Frank Sinatra's song, "I did it my way" Happy bonging

One would be tempted to turn to God if they simply turned away from God as an act of rebellion or did not fully embrace the idea that we don't know what's next and that that is ok.

Many people turn to atheism as rebellion, but may waver when THE GRIM REAPER comes to call. It takes real guts & conviction to face the unknown straight up at such a time

I don't foresee it happening.

At the final hour(s) some people rave a little, and it might be the case that anybody who had a religious upbringing could rave about some kind of salvation. Having once held hands with a dying friend for six hours plus I do know that it happens. There but for the grace...oh fuck. Nearly slipped up there.

i wonder what Steve Jobs was thinking when he uttered his last words: Oh Wow.

He probably performed mantra. He was Budhhist.

@TimeOutForMe ,
maybe he was expressing total amazement that he was actually ceasing to exist.

There are 2 distinct changes of that ever happening to me and they are; S.F.A. ( Sweet F*** All) and Buckley's.

no, I don't think so.

Yup

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 24, 2019

One time when I’m a very bad place I said “I wish you existed so I had someone to talk to right now.”

Maybe you'd want to say so I'll have someone to blame

I certainly hope not. That would mean that I'd slipped so far that I'd given up a whole lifetime of thought (rational or not).

At this point I don't expect to be plausibly convinced of any god unless they show up personally and bring overwhelming evidence. If I slip so far mentally that I accept less than that I'll be very displeased with my future self.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.