Agnostic.com

11 18

LINK Revealed: Dinosaur Fossil Hidden for 170 Years due to Religious Concerns

FTA: A fossil of a prehistoric sea dinosaur, the Ichthyosaurus, has finally been revealed after staying hidden for 170 years by God-fearing individuals who didn’t want to make any waves in their community by showing up with 160 million-year-old evidence of life in tow.

Religions have historically not been too open about new scientific findings which clash with established dogma. So when a family in England in 1850 inadvertently unearthed a dinosaur fossil, an Ichthyosaurus, to be precise, they promptly re-buried it because it flew in the face of the religious teachings the family held dear. And the find preceded Charles Darwin and his theory of evolution by a few years, so one can only imagine how mystified these folks were at the sight of this enormous, lizard-like fish skeleton.

zblaze 7 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A big flaw of the Bible is that the writers didn't know about dinosaurs or Neanderthals

You are tight...the Bible is a translation of a translation...@DaganCurie

Why would they be so afraid?

Dinosaurs bones were put on earth, to test their faith in God.

They could have just read “Not the Bible” which would have explained everything.

Chapter 1 with parts of lines 15 and 16 read:

1. ...and the dogs ate the dinosaurs and God was pleased.

2. And God took the bones from the dinosaurs, and caused them to appear mighty old; and cast he them about the land and the sea. And he took every tiny creature that had not madeth it, and caused them to become fossils; and cast he them about likewise.”

It’s an amusing book that I read as a teenager.

Dragon possibly? Ha ha haa. Like the Roseta Stone
that needed years of QUIET scrutiny. And still the facts never see the light of day.
Thanks

Stupidity can't be cured.

Which just goes to show that many religious folks understand deep down--or maybe just below the surface--that their beliefs are just pretend. At best, they might (might!) foster in-group cohesiveness, culture, etc. But when push comes to shove, if you are dealing with a REAL problem that you want to REALLY solve, you go with science, medicine, etc., not belief, prayer, the holy book.

Beautiful. Gonna share it to my religious friends on FB lol
Thanks

Neenz Level 7 Oct 8, 2019

It's cool the family finally realized what they had and had it preserved.

I know how this goes because in my early church days dinosaur bones and skeletons were planted by the Devil.

Got me wondering what scientific discovery doesn’t conflict with religious doctrine 😉 So yes - Hide the evidence!

Varn Level 8 Oct 8, 2019

Religion has kept the human race from advancing, and learning for centuries. People were killed for saying the the earth was not the center of the universe. We would be more scientifically advanced as a species if people weren't persecuted, tortured, imprisoned, and killed for having bold new ideas that clashed with religious dogma.

You are 100% correct with that one.
I have just finished reading the translated 'journals' of the life and discoveries of Hypatia of Alexandria written by her personal Scribe, Hepastius.
I then watched the movie "Agora" based, but a wee bit dramatized, which depicts, quite vividly to say the very least, the events that unfolded when the new Christian Faith went on rampage through Alexandria, raping and slaughtering anyone who refused to be baptized and destroying innumerable works of knowledge, works of art, etc, contained in the Great library of Alexandria as well.
Hypatia herself was charged with being a 'witch' by both the Bishop of Cyrene and the militant arm of the Christian Movement, the Parablani, and was sentenced to STONED to Death in the Serapisium ( converted to a Christian Church) after being stripped naked by those self-same Christian Parablani.
To say that the actions of those 'Christians' were HORRIFIC would be an ENORMOUS understatement at very minimum and one can only wonder at what knowledge was completely lost to human kind with destruction of such a great library and ALL due entirely to Christian Zealotry and religious madness.
I personally recommend to fellow Atheists and Agnostics the movie " Agora" since IT IS based almost ENTIRELY upon FACTS, historical FACTS btw, BUT be well aware, you WILL need a strong stomach.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:411785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.