Agnostic.com

22 2

Are you optimistic about the future of the US & do you think conditions will improve?

What needs to be done & how to do it?

atheist 8 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Throughtout human history political etities (countries, civilizations, empires) wax and wained. Things are always in flux, never static. All those enties grew in size and power and then fell into decline. When a country has reached its apex and the decline has started,it is frequently signaled by its territory becoming static (no more territories becomeing states in regard to the U.S.). The U.S., it would seem has begain it's decline.

Note that a few years ago, we had the highest standard of living in the world. Nowadays, that is no longer the case...there are several contries whose citizens have a higher standard of living. We have the highest infant mortality of all the Western nations as well as a very high rate of women dieing via post-partum complications.

I think the evidence is clear, we have begun our slide into enevitable decline. It is the natural order of things.

@atheist What could be logically expected in the face of thousands of years of history? Do you know any Etruscan, Phonecians, Anistazi? Democracies, being relatively rare, seem particularly subject to deterioration into oppressive totalitarian governments (some of which the U.S. helped to change into military dictatorships)...Iran is a prime example. Also, Chili and Guatemala. In short, there is zero evidence that the U.S.A. will not slide into oblivion as have ALL the political entities have after a few hundred years ( note that the Roman Empire lasted 2,000 years, but not as a democracy the whole time) of power.

No. Conditions can't stay the same for too long, I hope it improves, but it might get worse...

Get rid of our dear leader. Resist Russia, China, and other authoritarian states. Repair our relationships with our allies. Become a more compassionate country with universal healthcare, better veteran and elder care, better education, remove religion and money from politics, tax the crap out of inherited wealth, work towards a more eqitable income distribution...

Yeah, we've gone so far downhill in the last couple of years, it will take a long time. Let's hope we don't destroy ourselves in the meantime...

I am hopeful, but not optimistic. The global mean temperature is increasing about 0.1C every year, and the rate will probably increase regardless of things we do. Above +5C catastrophy looms. The Paris Agreement is to keep global warming below +2C, but more the +2C is already assured. People can do things to help, but people don't understand the urgency, for example if people in the US became vegan, it would remove as much CO2 as converting to electric vehicles. The oil companies have known about climate change since 1959, yet they conspired to make profits rather than save humanity. Capitalism must be controlled by governments with very strict environmental protections. Some policies and laws of the US government are killing us, and those responsible should be prosecuted for crimes against humanity.

The planet is fine. We are fucked.
George Carlin

Absolutely. We are at a low point and many people are mobilizing to change things for the better. Vote in November and bring someone with you. This too shall pass.

I have faith that when things get to a certain point, the pendulum will swing the other way. Also have hope that more Americans will come to understand how they were duped and will learn to be more skeptical going forward.

As the Believers might say Amen to that. Many of our countrymen and women allowed their selves to be duped,I must agree 100%

The problem: the trumpling has shown that america is a potential 2 term nightmare to the rest of the world (not saying he is gonna win another term, but there is always that...gasp...potential); that is the problem here. Bad politics we have gotten over in the past...but not such a besmirching of our integrity. So from now on, the world is probably gonna look at us in 4 year blocks. That is a problem. I was against gun reform, sorta....couldn't figure out why I was against it exactly, but it turns out, it was for the same reason I couldn't vote for Bernie Sanders, who is awesome. No foundation. What we need is a bottom to top overhaul, because a top to bottom overhaul isn't gonna stick. And the Millenials are kicking some ass with their gun law movement. Hoping that this is a beginning of sweeping changes with the youth being behind it, so it is sustainable.

No, and .... again, no.
I am in no position t criticise the US, we are as bad and in some ways worse over here.
There are many things that need to be done to fix both countries, but they won't happen.
I whinge, bitch and moan that we don't have any decent political parties here worth voting for, that won't change, those in power have the system and us by the cort and shirleys. The systems are rigged, the votes don't have to be, the voters are stupid enough to make it unnecessary.

@atheist Well I just read that the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, is now the size of France, Germany and Spain combined. What must that do to marine life? Apparently the Gulf Stream is slowing? And CO2 emissions dramatically INCREASED last year.

Conditions will get worse before they get better. Vote Democratic.

I'm actually a positive person. The reality is tRump will be in power for another 3 years. unless he's impeached. When he's impeached, Pence will be in power. When Pence is impeached, some other republiclown will be in power. So we have another 3 years of idiocy. It will get worse. If we take control away from the GOP, it will get a little better, but it will be very bad for awhile. That's simply fact. I accept that.

We need to vote Dems in November. trump needs to go - by impeachment or any means possible.Get the Dems back as the majority to block his insane Nationalist agenda and start impeachment proceedings unless Mueller acts first.

Yes, things will improve! A slow insidious take over would not generate the giant blue wave that’s coming. Ignorance, hate and the general hijacking of our nation makes a clear and obvious target and we will be taking our country back! Vote every Republican out of office in every election at every level.

Not if we don't act. Things have been worse. We just had tougher people back then.

No, I am not optimistic about America's future. With the current political situation, the social strife, and the very real possibility of war, nuclear or conventional, in the near future, I don't find much to be optimistic about.

There's so much that needs to be changed that I don't even know where to begin.

marga Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

No and no. At least not until the November elections.

Yes, I am cautiously olptomistic, but our country's future is going to depend on an active and vocal coalition of young people, women, minorities, middleclass people with a truly moral and democratic core. It ain't gonna happen unless we MAKE it happen!!!

I think that the negative changes we’ve seen in the last 16 months have motivated a lot of people to stand up and participate to create change.

My main concern is the damage that may be done before change comes.

I’m less concerned that it will happen, but in the back of my mind I worry that if it looks like a landslide away from the current political party, the administration will finally act on voting security by delaying voting “until confidence can be restored.”

miffy Level 5 Mar 22, 2018

I'm not optimistic about the life of earths future

we are nothing to earth. we are like atoms on a blue whale.

well, I love elephants.

Change your voter registration to republican. Start voting in the primaries and get involved with your local party to affect change.
I've been researching the original party platform of the GOP and it's nothing like it is now.
Time to start affecting change from within.
I'm tired of railing against the "system" and feeling like my voice doesn't matter.
Time to get into the belly of the beast, and give it a good case of indigestion.

@atheist I've been a registered Independent for 35 years. I'm tired of this bullshit. Time to take a different tack.

@atheist If I lived in a state that had it, I would!

I think if we take the "long" view, things are improving. Statues have come down. People in love have fewer obstacles to get married, even if they are of the same gender. We did elect a black man to be president. I think we are winning the climate change argument. We did pass a form of universal health care.
Soooo ... maybe.

Nope. Yet I hope.

Im very optimistic, with Trump in office - things are getting better.

gater Level 7 Mar 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.