Agnostic.com

75 17

Why so many posts about God?

This is a website for atheists and agnostics. As an atheist since age 13, I don't believe in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds.

For me, it's not up for debate. At 13, I realized the Bible is just stories written by men.

I'm tired of hearing about an imaginary god.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

75 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is Agnostic.com, not atheists.com. I can ignore the statements I don't like, or engage with logical banter. So, some people have questions - why not answer, rather than act like an evangelical and start closing one's ears. I would suggest that we are here to be better people in ourselves and not to make others better people.

Lots of new people coming on the site and testing the water I think. You should not stop them really , best to just ignore them, they will either settle in or move on in the end.. And sometimes they are funny.

As I see it , a couple of factors come into play. Some are relieved to be able to say any damn thing they want regarding gods and religion, and not have their heads chopped off for it - so to speak.

And, the fact that many here are profound thinkers, not afraid to explore and question, results in the exploration of thought. Open minds are a wonderful thing !

For those like yourself, who would rather avoid any more "what if" discussions, there's plenty of other subject matter to immerse in. Enjoy !

Well stated.

I have noticed that when people first land here, they are thrilled to finally be in a "safe" environment where they can spew, or observe, or ask questions. Yes, oftentimes they want to ask profound religious-related questions. I let them do their thing. I am not here to debate religion with anyone. I am well-grounded in my Atheism, but I'm glad we have this place where we should be able to discuss whatever we choose.

I give them a pass. Some people may still be working through their issues with religion.

When folks have a question or observation related to god, I'd rather they bring it to us than to some evangelical or other type of religious forum. At least we can straighten them out.

Hmmm another post about God😱. 😉

i always wonder if some of the people who have been atheists for all/most of their lives really think about what it’s like to be religious for a long time before identifying as an atheist. i really appreciate discussion about religion (specifically, i watch a lot of atheist youtubers responding to religious apologetics/“science” claims, etc) because i’m still unlearning a lot of bullshit. i can see that if you aren’t in that same place, it might seem annoying, but on a forum like this, you’re going to get people from all points of leaving religion. you could always start/join a group if you really want to talk to other atheists without any discussion of religion.

Everyone has to go through their own journeys.

I agree, but it is supposedly what "binds us together as a group" and shit so will be a common topic.

I think we should explore the mythology behind Grimm's Fairy Tales myself. Much more interesting, better moral teachings, and much much less genocide.

1of5 Level 8 Oct 21, 2019

Don't forget Whinny the Pooh.

@Fernapple or Dr Seuss.

@OldMetalHead I did not know that bit about China, thank you for sharing, I will look that up.

I was raised with no religions or beliefs in a god or gods. I don't mind talking about it at all. I find it fascinating actually. Baffeling and strange but not annoying.

I think a lot of people need someone to tell them they are ok with not believing, especially the ones from the US as it is so full of religious nutters there.

I pretty much skip those posts. I've read their views and am simply tired of responding to or reading them.

Ocasionally I am uncomfortable with some of the posts or they catch me the wrong way so i just do not engage and let it pass,,in a few minutes i will most likely have forgot all about it.We all have our hot and cold buttons,,just have to respect each other

This is another post about god.

Some new atheists are still working things just mentally and emotionally and need some support. I may or may not lose patience myself.

g

Couldn’t agree more. I’m so tired of going over the same ground that I don’t answer most of these posts any more.

I feel it's probably by those who are still not certain of their beliefs (technically non-beliefs) and want to clarify their thinking. Those like me, who are interested in theology, even though we don't believe a word of it, tend to respond and keep the threads going.

I also keep an open mind and read this kind of thing because, who knows, someone may have a logical argument that I've never seen before that will make me believe, against all expectation, in the existence of some god. It hasn't happened yet and I don't expect it, but just in case...

Im with you. I realize that agnostics think that the existence of gods are still possible. Usually any post that I see the words religion, gods or the bible gets skipped. I dont even bother looking at it.

Della Level 6 Oct 21, 2019

I can appreciate your position, but there are a few factors you may be discounting.
Some on this site have escaped upbringings in dogmatic views of religion, discussion and rationalization of what they experienced is a part of psychically healing from this experience.
Also, we cannot ignore the fact that "the gods" are alive and well in the minds of most humans on this planet, which is no small affair IMO. Unfortunately many if not most on this site and in atheism in general are not quite ready to move beyond "Mere Atheism" and go beyond discussions of the "weapon and caliber" of the "bullet" they have just ducked.

Yeah, I come here to be free from god stuff and discuss anything but god. I scroll over posts involving "god".

Careful Hiker, I've broached that question a couple of times before over the last year and was thoroughly castigated as being intolerant and too judgmental. But I keep coming to the same conclusion as you as well. Lol

Bring on intolerant and judgmental. 😜

Makes for robust discussion!

When confronted with such questions - always turn to the source of all truth: Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

It's great that you were able to slip away before it really messed with your head. I'm glad to hear that was the case for anybody, let alone several others who replied here. However, a lot of the people who find their way here are looking to escape religion and various beliefs. This is a more profound journey than you portray as it will likely involve going through the stages of grief as well as all of the problems of any cult escapee. This crap is in their brains so deep and backed up with a fate that is literally worse than death. That's a lot to process. Many people need to know it's ok to give that crap up. They are also angry and lashing out about it all in a safe forum. I know I needed that when I finally was prepared to give it all up and face reality.
Another point is that this is "Agnostic.com" and these people are seeking information, knowledge.
My final thought - reading the various posts is a voluntary act. I skip over who knows how many posts every day. Read the ones that catch your interest and only those.

@PadraicM

When I was 13, Michigan had a hard winter. My little brother, 10, and I read the World Book Encyclopedias together.

Reading about rational philosophers Spinoza and Descartes inspired me. In the 1600s when heretics were burned at the stake, they bravely were anti-theist (anti-god), anti-clergy and anti-church.

Their writings inspired the Age of Enlightenment, a European intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that emphasized the use of science and reason to advance understanding of the universe and to improve the human condition. The goals of the Enlightenment were knowledge, freedom, and happiness.

Unless I feel full of patience, I tend to skip the posts by members who are still questioning. There are likely plenty of others with more patience than me, regarding ways to reconcile the difference between what we were taught as youngsters, versus what the reality is now that we are grown up and thinking for ourselves.

I figure this site encompasses everyone between still questioning to full blown surety there are no gods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.