Agnostic.com

75 17

Why so many posts about God?

This is a website for atheists and agnostics. As an atheist since age 13, I don't believe in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds.

For me, it's not up for debate. At 13, I realized the Bible is just stories written by men.

I'm tired of hearing about an imaginary god.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

75 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He is kind of fun to make fun of or fuck with. Having to live with his minions and their silly rules and laws for my entire life, it just feels good to do that.

Just wondering, could it be that we like the believers in god, need the reinforcement of others to firm up our unbelief?

@starwatcher-al

When I joined, I hoped this website would be a fun place free of Christian twaddle.

Probably not!

I guess if many atheists have so much to say about God, maybe it's because many of us used to believe in God before braking free from him. Me too, I removed the crucifix off my bedroom wall at the age of 13.

@QuidamOutrepont

I was never a believer. As a child, I sat through Sunday school inwardly rolling my eyes.

The story about Noah's ark was asinine and unbelievable to me.

@LiterateHiker Poor old Noah. Sweated for days on that Ark.

His problem was interpreting the cubits. Got to the point where he didn’t know the tip of his middle finger from his elbow!

@LiterateHiker Noah ark,,,,,hmm,,,,,,,,Every time I heard about Noah's ark, I'm thinking,,,,,,,what a horrific waste of good turning wood........

right.. boring...

yeah, you'd think this site could be a break from all that. if all ones does it fight against something, you're still defined by that something.

Harry Pottrr God is considered a rather popular topic and considered to be addictive: With 35% of Americans having read at least one Harry Potter book, among the biggest fans are men aged 18-34 (44%), women aged 18-34 (61%) and women aged 35-54 (41%).

Once Americans have read one Harry Potter book, as a nation we’re hooked – YouGov asked which Harry Potter Book people had read. Among those in the US who had read at least one book, 47% had got through the entire series. [today.yougov.com].

Word Level 8 Oct 21, 2019

Some of those postings are sort of amusing to me, sometimes I feel like chiming in to start the interchange of points of view. Usually I get bored pretty quickly, however there will be that time when the discussion may turn interesting. I guess I like to keep the door open to discover other angles I haven't considered yet.

I grew up in a very religious home. It still interests me, and I listen to Christian/Atheist debates very often. I can't talk about my lack of belief, or my distaste of Chrianity to my family because I want to keep the peace. I do come here and some other sites because I feel free to discuss it. I actually enjoy talking about religion, but I know it's not for everyone.

I've seen a lot of fakers here, either believe in "spirituality" (whatever that crap is) or not really non believers, I'm also sick of their stupid rethorical questions that usually start like this "if there is or isn't a god" followed by "then why does this happen or not happen". I call their bullshit everytime by saying "why should we care about inexisting crap"?

@motrubl4u inexisting crap.

I believe in beings that reside beyond the clouds ... statistically, there must be intelligent life on other planets. Perhaps, one day, an alien civilisation will show up .... maybe they were here before and that was the foundation of the god myths

Agree. Too many posts about the old testament as if it was factual rather than mythological

because believers can't just leave us the fuck alone. they are driven to try indoctrinating everyone in their path, so they come here with their BS and think they have clever arguments, pretending to be "reasonable" while trying immature word games to influence people.

on the other side, because some agnostics are still seeking a final answer, contrary to the actual meaning of agnostic.

Some Agnostics think there MAY be such a thing as 'god,' IF you define the term broadly enough to include non-entity concepts like universal consciousness.
The universe is too big a place to close your mind entirely, people like me think.
Agnostics DON'T KNOW if there's a 'god' or not; therefore, they are free (unlike atheists) to discuss both sides of the subject unbiased and not obligated to argue vociferously about it.
As an atheist, you ARE biased, which is fine, but an agnostic "discussing" the topic with an atheist is is not likely to end fruitfully, but instead result in a circular, neverending argument going round and round like a circus ride.

@Storm1752

Don't call me "biased." It is against Community Guidelines to insult members.

At age 13, I became an atheist when I realized the Bible is just a book of stories written by men. Like Grimm's Fairy Tales.

I chose rational thought, not magical beliefs.

Michigan had a hard winter when I was 13. Bored and restless, my little brother, 10, and I read the World Book Encyclopedias. I was inspired by rational philosophers Descartes and Spinoza, who were bravely anti-theist (anti-God), anti-church and anti-clergy in the 1600s when heretics were burned at the stake. They had to go into hiding.

Their writings inspired the European Age of Enlightenment in the 17th and 18th centuries. It stressed reason, logic, criticism and freedom of thought over dogma, blind faith, and superstition.

@LiterateHiker biased is not an insult.

any absolute position holds a bias, that's the meaning of those words.

@HereticSin

"Biased" means "prejudiced." It's an insult. Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I hate Christians. Most of my friends are Christian.

Bias (Dictionary.com)

1. a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned: illegal bias against older job applicants;.

2. unreasonably hostile feelings or opinions about a social group; prejudice.

3. accusations of racial bias.

@LiterateHiker Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to insult you. I hope you understood my point, and I totally respect YOUR point, of view.
I was just saying whereas atheists might be offended by people leaving the question open, Agnostics might welcome arguments both PRO and CON. Since the answer will never be arrived at anyway, it will always be, FOR AGNOSTICS, fodder for discussion.
It's not that we "aren't there yet' (atheist), or "hedging our bets" or "on our way" to either atheism or theism, it's just that from our point of view 'god' is an elastic concept which could mean anything (not necessarily an 'entity," with a brain and emotions and an agenda) and by some definition (energy? light? universal collective unconsciousness? something else?) exist, perhaps not anything we with our finite comprehension could even conceive.
I, for example, am an agnostic 'neo-deist,' and I just enjoy discussing the 'mysteries of life. ' It is an endlessly fascinating subject to me. But I know I'll never solve the riddle.
So what? Who cares?
Atheists DO seem to care, though, and often react with sometimes 'violent' contempt to even the suggestion they could be wrong (much like many theists).
I couldn't agree more with your hatred of the 'bible' and the idea of religiousity, especially when based on a distinct person-like creature who answers prayers and so forth...that's clearly nonsense in my opinion.
But to summarily condemn ANY opinion other than your own concerning the entire IDEA of 'god' is, frankly, arrogant and, yes, insulting. Spinoza and Decartes we're very intelligent men, but so were and are a lot of other intelligent, RATIONAL men who had and have divergent ideas.
I think a LOT of the atheists on here are EXTREMELY insulting to the more diffident, uncertain, and questioning Agnostics, who express opinions at odds with their absolute certainty about 'no god, no way!'
I've rambled on long enough. This 'discussion' will likewise drone and ramble on endlessly anyway, regardless of what I say.
Btw, you ARE biased. Just because it's REASONED doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That's not an insult...everybody has biases; they are not necessarily pre-judgments if they are well-thought out and/or based on real-life experience.

God has a lot of Media connections and the politicians often say "God Bless America" With that that amount of PR God gets a lot of attention.

I always looked at it as we were talking about the people who mistakenly believe and the consequences of that. I"m also battling astrology, superstition, cooky medicines, and fraudilent science for the people in my community and society.

That's said, yeah, i limit my exposure to "diety culture" to about an hour every couple of days.

God knows why.

Same here I don't support delusional thinking

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 22, 2019

I asked this question once and got jumped on about it. So now I drop by much less often. When I was young I believed in Santa Claus, and then I stopped. I spend almost zero time contemplating or talking about Santa these days. Why talk about something you don't believe exists?

I guess the new guys get a chance to vent. When they get to Level 7 I would hope they were able to discuss more eclectic subjects, however.

I totally agree with you! 🥴

I no longer believe in the invisible man in the sky either but I am finding out that everyone has a different story about it. I stopped believing when Jesus didn't bring me a pony one year. It was Christmas and I asked him about that. He knew I was angry but he told me it was his birthday and not mine.

Quite right too. I mean what does anyone ever give Jesus for his birthday! Santa gets all the good stuff like mince pies and whiskey to sustain his workload.

Jeez just gets crappy old ‘egocentric ‘what about me’ prayers!

My birthday is Dec 19. My birthday presents were always under the Christmas tree.
I got a little cheated every year and Jesus is not even my twin.

@Castlepaloma Mine is on December 29th. By then, everyone is broke!

Lol, sounds worse. Maybe they rewarped the odd gift they didn't like and gave it to you.

Why am I not seeing this?

Am I that obvious to religion that it goes over my head?

@Allamanda autocorrect wins again

I commend you for having such insight at a young age.

Rather then tell you what to do I am offering you some resources. Things I certainly have found useful earlier

1. There is a book I think you should read. Daniel Kahammen's think fast, think slow. It is a very clear, comprehensive book about human thinking. When you get confusing, contradictory advice you will know why. Human behaviour begins to make sense and it gives a clear understanding of the world generally.

2. If you get into reading then I recommend reading books about science- including psychology. In other words understanding the world through the eyes of experts. I recommend you start with books that only make it to the book shops. It costs more to get them on the shelves and realistically only respected, well credited authors can get pusblishers and stores to stock them.

3. Meditate. I wished I worked this out sooner. Nothing to do with buddhism and enlightment. It is by far the most useful, productive thing I have ever done. Out of the three this one is my favourite. How you do it is up to you. But after experimentation I found the best way is simply to get on with it. So sit down, back straight and supported, eyes closed.

As I said this is not so much advice but some resources. Things you can put to the test. Meditation would obviously be the easiest. I would emphasise though that you should give it at least 3 attempts before drawing a conclusion.

@rovingamber

Since age 18, I have been meditating daily. It grounds and centers me.

I'm a voracious reader. Surprised you didn't catch this from my username: Literate Hiker.

Michigan had a hard winter when I was 13. Bored and restless, my little brother, 10, and I read the World Book Encyclopedias together. I was fascinated with rational philosophers Descartes and Spinoza, who were bravely anti-theist (anti-God), anti-church and anti-clergy in the 1600s when heretics were burned at the stake.

Their writings inspired the Enlightenment, a European intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that emphasized the use of science and reason to advance understanding of the universe and to improve the human condition. The goals of the Enlightenment were knowledge, freedom, and happiness.

I look at a couple of people I know who are religious, and say that everything is ordained. They find a comfort and certainty in this. I view it as the ultimate cop-out. It is a bit harder to say "I am the captain of my ship, the master of my destiny ", but if not then what is the point of life?

yes. why as non-believers do you harp on god and the religious? I'm what Camus identified as the "absurd man" the person who without denying the existence of god makes no preparation for the hereafter. in other words it's immaterial. i'm here for X number of years and then I'm gone. why focus on the beliefs of others?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.