Agnostic.com

30 5

What gets you creativity flowing? And what do you create?

Stacey48 8 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always keep my eyes open really looking for inspiration. I have done some tattooing, some pottery, some sculpture and lately some shabby shike furniture made from old wood and last but not least my art.

Lee, if this is the result of keeping your eye open for inspiration, may I respectfully suggest that if you don’t wear corrective lenses that you get some and furthermore if do wear them, you get them changed asa. James

thank you @Stacey48 the sculpture I called centibeast I made with a lot of help lifting things for a friend with a paintball shooting place. he wanted somewhere to put his paintball guns etc which I put above its head. it raps its body all the way around the tree so becomes a seat where the guests can take their shoes and clobber off when they finish a game but you can't see that. I did a couple of other things there too. loved it being in the middle of the forest and great practice. do you want a little bit of my creativity in you lol? I am only joking though you do seem very nice but not the best chat up line haha.

thank you, Stacey, so much. I'm not sure if you're giving me a compliment or not @Leon but its all good.

hang on @Stacey48 let's rewind back to your question and flip it around back to you. what gets your creativity flowing? And what do you create? by the way, I generally like to get the art I draw framed but the person who had the orangutan wanted to do it herself. I know it's her choice and that's fair enough but I asked to see a picture of it framed in place as that generally just makes the picture twice as good. she framed this in a very light tan frame with a light tan mount on a magnolia wall and placed it on the wall seemingly blind. I mean she loved it and i think its one of my best but to my mind, she couldn't of picked a worse idea.

@LeighShelton I have no doubt it is Leigh. James

thank you mate

Give me a welder, a scrap pile and a late evening, and junk comes to life.

I am fighting technology in order to share.... 😕

I blame it on too much original Sesame Street.....

It could be anything! Nature, a photo, a color. I mostly do photography, but find myself making things I need for it, with bits of inspiration from others. I enjoy doing photography styles reminiscent of that of others, but on a shoestring budget because it's a bit of an accomplishment!

I guess I’m one of the unfortunate. It takes pain heartbreak trauma. Creating is how I purge the negative from my soul. Something tangible and good from the darkness.

A nice, full bodied cabernet, or somtimes a glass of brandy. 😉

Music, and a need to compose and perform.

Pretty consistent, yeah. It's fun and frustrating at the same time. Playing out isn't like it used to be years ago - a lot of people don't listen like they used to, which can be disheartening. I don't gig as much as I used to, though, just not as much time as a single dad. I do really enjoy the good gigs, though.

@Stacey48 Way back when I was a young sprout in the days of cheap wine and bell-bottoms, and people used to frequent coffeehouses, the audiences were very different. We would expect to go in and see people who were putting their hearts on their sleeves and in those days we showed our 'love' by quietly respecting what they had to say, even if it wasn't very good, because a lot of the audience was also the entertainment, so when you got up there, you'd like to be heard, too.

These days, since the dawn of Karaoke, people are so used to canned music and a lot of times not being sure if a track is playing, or someone trying to sound like someone else, that what we hear in bars or nightclubs just doesn't bring the respect. Sad for the performers and the audience, really. The performers don't get to be heard, and the audience is yelling to each other to be heard over the performers. Okay, there, I vented. Whew!

@ThinkKate: You nailed it. When I'm doing a gig and people are there at least partially because there's going to be live music, things go pretty well. It's those shows where, as you described, there's few listening and their conversations are shouting (well, not too much shouting - I'm all acoustic now). I like to work on my soloing and comping during those shows, if only to entertain myself. As I say, I don't gig nearly as much as I used to, especially when I was a kid and playing lower Manhattan. Those were the days...

I tend to respond to anyone who contacts me here on the site. I try to answer posts and offer advice when asked.

Poetry... victories and disapointments alike, used to paint, trying to get my mojo back after 40 years. Songwriting, like Poetry in 2 languages... I do Salsa... I do Blues, I do Rock, I do Jazz. It is my way of healing... I was Forged in the 20 Century. I got ideas for short and long stories, scripts... I am Not Done Yet.

@Stacey48 add to that I do in spanish and english but you got it right... music is the universal language were all souls meet and communicate in one simple idiom.

Gloom gets my creativity going. I create ideas!

Being in a hospital, oddly enough. The total lack of stimulation, the days being reduced to occasional doctor visits, and nothing else, does the trick. I always ask for a pen and paper. when I'm there.

On one trip I wrote about 6 or so short stories,which were the basis for a small press magazine I did, "Inexplicable Stories."

TI have had ideas for about four stories floating in my head for years. This last hospital trip, I got my standard pen and paper and realized that I could make a far better story by combining all of them.

And around 2015, I went into the hospital right about the time I had ordered a bunch of jewelry making supplies. I spent the whole time I was there working with such things as arrowheads, amber, bismuth, meteorites and so on, sitting on the side of my bed and putting out what must have been 200 or so necklaces, earrings and rings together. The air stank of E6000, and my bed always had bits of beads and stuff in it.

There's something about a complete lack of stimulation that really gets my mind going.

Also having spent much time in a hospital I had a writing and poetry coach, arts and crafts director who was working with me on beading and a wonderful friend Margaret who came in with her harp and recorder. We also had massage and reiki. Anything to help the patient deal with their stark surroundings and medical procedures. Three years out of hospital and learning to live again.

Writing, art, building invention prototypes, music, inventing new learning games on the fly.

Which medication are you on please, I’d like to try some of it (in a controlled environment that is). James

@Leon Well, I am on one medicinal oil right now you might like. Might be non-legal where you live, however. CBD oil works almost as well, I read.

@Stacey48 : well rounded is the word we use for it. Doesn’t make it sound tooooo decadent. James

I like to work with wood.

Thanks Stacey. I made them from fallen trees. Really.

I fancy myself an artist, but actually I just take impossible 2D drawings and create them into wood.

I guess, with me, it's the challenge that gets my creative flow going. When doing a flower garden, I look at all the challenges that I'm gonna have to overcome to get the desired result. The same applies to Christmas decorations, song writing, home decor, performing, etc.

Lack of sleep. Sometimes I awaken at 3 in the morning and start writing. It has often been a song, but sometimes it is a short story, sometimes poetry. If I have anything important to do in the coming day, it may not be as well done as I like, but such is life.

An idea and the confidence I will do the best I can and I realize my work is pretty good. Believing in the results you will get If your creative genius does not work out, it was good anyway. Just love to create something that was not there before I began

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

I can find inspiration almost anywhere. It's just allowing myself to be open to it, that's my greatest challenge. That being said, I like to write, paint, and create fabric art.

I never 'try' to get creative, but do leave my mind open to whatever I see, feel, taste or hear, etc. Once I passed an elderly man walking on the street who inspired me to write a poem. another time many years ago I heard someone talking about glasses and contact lenses and I wrote a Country song called 20-20 Vision (I'm not a song-writer by trade, and never tried to sell it, but had fun writing it). I was driving and saw a field of wildflowers in Maine and stopped and spent an hour photographing them. I had a real camera then, not a phone-camera. Took a photo of my son in his raincoat when he was small and got honorable mention in a photo contest.

I actually never know what I'm going to do next - I also bead jewelry, and have sold some - I like to go to Bead Shows and get my inspiration there from the stones, colors, and textures.

I went through a period of doing water colors but that was "emotional" for me - I just painted the way I felt at the time; some were calm and others weird. (kind of like me)

@Stacey48 Hmmm... Emotional Inspiration - Sounds like a song title to me... have to see what I can do with it. Thanks!

For some odd reason stress gets my creative juices flowing and it all comes out in doodles and writing.

Sometimes, it’s a sunny day and a relatively empty yard! My soon to be grape arbor is going to be like no other 🙂 Other times, it’s space on a page ..in need of my opinion 😉

Varn Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

PART 1 of your question: Air Hostesses
PART 2 of the same question: Babies (just for religious reasons of course. James

Leon Level 5 Mar 23, 2018

I find my creative juices flowing when I have lots of free time and very little stress. My comedic side expands, my writing inproves, I have more ideas and better ideas in every area, finding solutions to problems comes easier, etc.

Wish I knew - I like sculpture and carving wood.

gater Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

So did Michel Angelo, but he got paid for his.

@Stacey48 Well, if I see a piece that I really like - that inspires me. What inspires you?

Making worlds or ideas completely off the top of my head for writing stories or novels. Not only does it inspire creativity, it also allows me to freely create whatever I want. I also sketch certain things that may be in these stories.

Well get on with it. I look forward to seeing your name in the book store. Is the the pen name you will be using and how soon can I expect to start reading them? James

@Stacey48 : take it easy with him Stacey, I’m trying to get his first book from him, never mind his novel. That would be a novel idea I suggest. James

@MrLizard God (that’s a figure of speech) I hate cat fights, they are so, you know what I mean. James

It seems I'm a god in my own right haha. Still a work in progress.

That is really hard to say. I like to write blogs so maybe that is one area.

If it’s tooooo hard to say it, write it. James

@Stacey48 : All subjects Stacey. James

Artwork.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.