Agnostic.com

17 22

LINK I Am Unapologetically Raising My Daughter Without Religion

Gotta love godless women! And men!

HippieChick58 9 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would say "I am quite certain you have not read the Romantic poets or your idea of love would not be so narrow."

I was sent to Catholic school in the 60s. Many race related demonstrations took place in the US. The teachers would tell us how bad prejudice is. At home, I would hear my parents use the N word. If I got dirty they said I was a N---r. A brazil nut was called a N---r toe. An over heated slice of toasts was called a N---r. But they were in chuch every Sunday. I think that your daughter is fortunate.

Amendment: Make that: Your girls are fortunate.

MrDMC Level 7 Oct 26, 2019

I have to say I did raise my girls in the church, they were/are all bible literate, as I am. However, that has enabled them to recognize BS when they hear it. I know when the buybull is taken out of context as do they. Two are atheists who are out. One lives with her xian dad and is keeping daddy happy. She will be moving out of dad's house by the end of the year and far across town, it will be interesting to see what happens then.

Raised my daughter without religion, I now have an adult atheist daughter. Job done, and she is a scientist. Now I'm following in her footsteps.

That is a great way to raise a child; let them experience both sides of the coin. My late partner was raised in a Moslem household but her mother fostered he to question everything. Going to the Mosque for kids was a play time (she and her brother would go around head butting the kneeling prayers) and most religious lessons were learned in the schools, which were all segregated. She never understood how people could believe the nonsense of religion so if she experienced some rituals she might have gotten a better sense of the allure of religion.

I was raised without god by freethinking parents. My brother and I were encouraged to read, ask questions and form our own views after due consideration of all facts. Neither of us decided we could believe in any religion or god.

I raised my (now adult) children without religion. When the parents of the other kids would ask what church we belonged to, since they appreciated the fair-minded attitudes of my kids, my daughter once replied (to the parent) "Oh, we're home-churched!"

It's true that on Sunday mornings when their dad went to softball practice, I'd have little chats with the kids, more like teachable moments I'd mention, and bolster their ethics and morality, so they could hold their ground when accused of being evil, since we didn't go to church. (Yes, my kids were watched from the property line by neighbors who weren't allowed to play with "atheist" kids, apparently waiting for my kids to "drink blood" since that's what the neighbors thought atheists did.)

I applaud any parent who is outspoken about raising kids without religion. My daughter and son-in-law are raising my grandchildren without religion, and doing just fine, but I don't see them needing to be outspoken, as they surround themselves with other secular parents, so it's not really a big deal. Plus their pre-school is good about celebrating all religious holidays and cultural celebrations. I think this goes a long way toward acceptance and respect for cultures and spiritual values that differ from their own.

Huge Kudos to that Mum, in my opinion.
Raising children WITHOUT religion teaches them respect for others, self determination, self-respect and gives them a far better outlook and understanding of the world around.

That's her bussiness and no one else.

Why would you have to apologize for any parenting choices you make? Your child. Raise them however you like as long as you aren't doing them harm. I never get why people can't simple live and let live. All that matters is you raise you child to be a decent and tolerant human being.

Our kids never set foot in a church, nor did we have any buybull nonsense in the house. They could make their own choices when the time came.

As adults 50, 48, & 44, daughter was brainwashed into religion when she married, & sons are atheists.

Children are not empty hard drives, waiting to be filled with information. No way was I going to expose my children to the fear and guilt of religious indoctrination that I experienced. On the other hand, I figured that indoctrination into scientism and materialism would be even worse, killing their natural innate awe and reverence for life. What I did was ask them questions in an attempt to gain insight for myself. They taught me a good bit.

Excellent

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 25, 2019

Bravo!

As two atheists, Terry and I raised Claire without religion. Raised Catholic, Terry became an atheist by age 30. I've been an atheist since age 13.

"My friends say I am more empathetic than anyone they know," Claire, 29, said recently. She's an atheist, too.

@ToolGuy, @HippieChick58, @BitFlipper, @Aurora62, @Lauren, @Charlene, @KKGator

In the photo with Terry, Claire was sick of shoveling snow. She staged a sit-in protest.

@LiterateHiker Oh, well, of course she did - she is your daughter after all. 🙂

@Lauren

Now Claire, 29, and I can laugh about how much we are alike. We are both intelligent, intense, determined, stubborn, high energy and funny. Claire is more of an introvert; I am more extroverted.

We both meditate, do yoga and exercise to calm and center ourselves. We both wiggle our feet to expend excess energy.

@Lauren

I don't blame her. That winter, I was shoveling snow over my head.

@LiterateHiker As I age, I continue to encounter factors about the lives of other people which make me envious. I have friends who were raised by caring parents, wealthy parents, friends who grew up popular and good-looking. Now I have friends who were raised without religion, and if I ever write a book I'll include it.

@literatehiker. It's obvious from your posts how close (and how similar) you two are, and I think it's wonderful! I think my daughter is as different as she is similar to me, and I hope we continue enjoying each other.

@ToolGuy

Thank you. Nice of you to say.

My ex and I raise our daughter without religion as well. Interestingly, our daughter has been talking about heaven and god lately. Other kids talk about it around her at school so it's not surprising. But they talk about Santa too so.... I believe in letting her find her own way and I will talk to her about my beliefs (or lack thereof) when she asks questions.

I liked this part of the article:

[raising your children with secular morality is highly beneficial, saying that these children are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant.”]

As did I, with my two now 38 and 39.

That's awesome..💓💓💓

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:418065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.