Agnostic.com

17 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People, especially those with responsibility often put a god into the equation simply to make up for their total lack of ability.

those with power put god into the equation to legitimize their use and abuse of it

@AaronAbles That too.

I got reminded of a woman I worked with in the late 70's. Evonne was from Little Rock, AR. In Little Rock she worked at a public job - I think real estate or taxes or something like that. Most of her co-workers were judgmental, intrusive Southern Baptists. Evonne was questioned about her home life. She lied and told her aggressive co-workers that she lived alone. Her co-workers did not like that but said "at least you are not living in sin." Evonne and her boyfriend were living together. One day Evonne "got caught." She wrote out a check for the United Way fund drive. She did not stop to think about her name and her boyfriend's name being on the check blank. They had a joint checking account. One of the fanatical Baptists happened to see the check and zeroxed it. She handed out photocopies to all of the pious people in the office. Right away everyone ostracized Evonne. She quit the job. A year later she ran into a co-worker and found out why people suddenly hated her.

SKH78 Level 8 Oct 26, 2019

This is something that would make a lawyer salivate these days. Too late for Evonne though. 😞

Wow. A joint checking account is pretty slim evidence to make a case for cohabitation. That's terrible.

I wonder how they can enforce it? But enforce it, they will. That is common behavior for these power hungry jerks. They might go out to people's homes and manipulate their way inside to see if someone has a questionable "roommate." Or they might use their police resources to find out who lives with someone who is not a spouse. Or maybe they watch an employee's house to see who goes in and out. In the early 80's I typed reports for a law enforcement agency. They would do this, use police resources and data banks to find out information about people's private lives. I even had a co-workers who had friends who worked at banks, medical facilities and public aid offices - would call her contacts to find out private information on her co-workers. Some of these people are intrusive, power-tripping and downright scary.

SKH78 Level 8 Oct 26, 2019

Fortunately, we now have HIPAA.

I see the sheriff walked things back. So was this just a test to see what he could get away with? This an issue with separation of church and state.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 26, 2019

Do they breed these halfwits in NC specially to put into office?

@sweetcharlotte You do have some very religiously disturbed people over there. It’s like a form of insanity induced by too much religion!

@sweetcharlotte I just gave and became a member of a group that funds abortions. Went from one who thought abortion was wrong and now supporting them. I will get a T-shirt that reads" Everyone has loved someone that has had an abortion.

@sweetcharlotte I am fully aware of the homes. There is a large one outside Seattle (and it's now part of a college)and I used to walk past one in Dallas on my way to my grandmothers house. It's now a fancy condominium. This was a pretty sad time and I know the fundamentalists would love to see it back again.

@JackPedigo And those fundamentalists may have their wish come true with all the new judges named by the current holder of the office of the U.S. Presidency and quickly confirmed by the republican controlled Senate. It will cost lives and will cause much horrible pain, suffering and trauma.

Too much inbreeding over the centuries! 😁

@Barnie2years I guess so .

Yeah right... I'd ignore that nonsense..

I would also ignore it . Except that it is part of a huge push of fundamentalists that would love to go back to the good old days of prejudice and intolerance, and those fundamentalists may have their wish come true with all the new judges named by the current holder of the office of the U.S. Presidency and quickly confirmed by the republican controlled Senate. It will cost lives and will cause much horrible pain, suffering and trauma. And that is who ignoring them is done at our own peril.

Kayne did that too with his staff. I wonder how that went.

He’s a fool to go down that road anyway. Can’t see it’s going to improve on his nonsense anyway!

@Geoffrey51 Apparently he did it for Jesus.

@Jolanta oh that’s lovely. I hope Jesus got a brand new inscribed watch to say thank you, or at least Mary was looking over his shoulder to make sure he wrote a nice thank you note!

Do you reckon the staff was like the one Aaron had that turned into a snake!

North Carolina, the State where one can find Patrol Cars with legalized Peeping Toms driving them.
Scenario in Nth. Carolina: Sheriff answers phone in office, woman screams into phone, " Help, someone is trying to murder me and my family, we're locked in the bathroom, send a Deputy please."
Sheriff answers, " Sorry Ma'am but all my Deputies are out on patrol checking that no-one is Cohabiting before Marriage, they be be a few hours before anyone can respond to your call."
And here was me thinking that President Humpty tRumpty was a huge joke, Nth. Carolina has just taken the cake.

Tosser!

Agreed.

You haven’t lost your Britspeak!

@Marionville Haha Nah, I don’t expect me Sowf East vernacular to be fuckin’ off too soon, luv!

When the county/city has to pay out a couple of million for violating civil rights, maybe they will hire a new sheriff?

Here’s hoping.

Well, he doesn't understand that he is making it much more exciting, all this sneaking around.

Yes, I’m all for having little things enforced for this reason; but not ones likely to incite hate crimes.

This sort of extreme bibull thumping makes me ill - truly !

I would happily get fired - F him, and all those that agree with him !

There's alway a workaround. How about we list some "what if ... " scenarios?

Bible belt politics, sucks

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 25, 2019

There are very few couple that don't shack before marriage. I would love a live in partner right now.

Quick marry them, then you’ll be ok 😉

He openly saying so violates the law, but in the case if evangelicals- only god's law is important, unless it has to do with guns and babies and free speech for xtions.

Which is why the church and state’s divorce should be permanent.

I'd SO be taking that fucker to court over his bullshit.

I just bet you would! 🤣

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:418133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.