Agnostic.com

29 9

Have you ever found a religious person that was genuinely interested in hearing what you had to say from an atheist perspective? I've found that if you tell people that you're an agnostic, they may engage you in conversation in an effort to illustrate to you that their god is real, but if you're an atheist, they're more likely to berate you or simply refuse to listen to your opinion.

Philosopearl 6 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very few people know I am an Atheist, especially where I live because I gebuinely fear what these fundamentalist Baptists would do if they knew. I am already being harassed by the new ones across the road and they would only be worse if they knew. The wife is on a campaign to get me to move off my farm and sell out.

How christian of them.

Long time no see. That is so shitty people have to be that way.

@kmdskit3 Isn't it though.

@azzow2 She is a class A bitch.

I have had people offering me a bible, calling me ignorant....getting up from their seats and moved away from me....but no one -in their blessed ignorance- has shown any interest about atheism.

@irascible And, trust me, I am not interested in teaching them. I honestly feel a person changes his/her opinions / beliefs on their on. You can call it "Awakening".

No, they only care about god and loving him.

I think it is more about their Christian image than anything because the are not the most ethical people

@misstuffy Most don't even follow the biblical rules.

I do have one friend that will actually listen out of curiosity till I finish my sentence, but he certainly doesn't consider its truth. Immediate rebuttal is all he does. But the conversations are entertaining...

I absolutely refuse to argue with religious people. If they are true believers, there is nothing I can say that will change their mind. If they are even a little bit unsure, I hope they will eventually realize their delusion. I am a terrible debater. Ignorance and arrogance frustrate the hell out of me and I can never think of a good response (at the time). All my knowledge and facts fly out of the window! Arrrggg!

There is a lady at work that I avoided for years because she is one of those "church-y ladies". Goes to church every Sunday, talks about how God has blessed her, invites people to her wonderful church, etc. I avoided her mostly because I figured a) we probably didn't have much in common, and b) once she found out I am Atheist she would think I was "unworthy" of being her friend.

One day we were put in a 'partner' situation where we spent most of the day working together. There were times when we could chat, and we did! She didn't even blink an eye when I told her I was an Atheist. In fact, she said, well I still think you are a good person. I told her, of course I'm a good person. You don't have to believe in god in order to have morals, standards and ethics. She nodded, and agreed with me. I was surprised. Then she asked me if I liked movies and would I like to go with her sometime when she went out because it's more fun to go with a friend.

I don't automatically discount Christians as friends anymore. I wouldn't say my friend is open-minded, exactly, but she is forthcoming and speaks her truth without expecting me to agree and she actually listens when I tell her MY truth.

Cool!

Mostly, they "listen" while formulating circular arguments. It isn't true interest in my thoughts as much as interest in converting my thinking to their brainwashed state.

Come to think of it- no..

That's because they often see atheist as irredeemable, they think agnostic means being more convincable. Most theists I've talked to don't want to hear what I have to say and just like hearing themselves talk, especially when surrounded by others that share their beliefs. Perhaps they are conflating not actively believing in any deities with believing that there are none.

Yes, I have a dear friend who is religous Christian and very involved in her church and she is exceptionally able to share/allow me to share our perspectives. I have another Christian friend who I would share with but she's simply more of a doer than a discusser of deep, philosophical things. Jewish friends simply accept and are open to in-depth sharing because I find Jews range from non-religious to orthodox. I'd be curious to know how other religions view non-believers. My muslim friends think me so kind but have language barriers so I don't think they can really grasp my non-religious views. The friends I've had that were Buddhist are, naturally, open to non-believers. Great question, philosopearl

I have, but he became a non-believer shortly after our chat.
I suspect that chatting with me was reassurance to what he was already thinking, that he was already beginning to doubt what he had been told.

There have been a few others that have asked a few questions, but they were mostly so that they could argue, not actually discuss anything in a civilized manner.

Never truly interested in what I have to say, just simply accepting of my position. Sometimes I notices an uneasiness following the shocking revelation, but most people around here are live and let live for the most part. Though I've seen my fair share of passive aggressiveness from them, and just throwing out offhand statements like how many atheists they seem to meet are "assholes". I don't get offended by the criticism of ideas, and I generally just tell them that no opinion or idead is outside the realm of scrutiny.

I have - a few Christians and Muslims, more than a few Hindus and Sikhs and quite a lot of Jews

Jnei Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

No, but I found a lot of atheists that want to talk about religion 24/7, they just can't let it rest. Figure those odds.

I'm just not interested at all. I have more interesting things to talk about like paint drying.

yes, 1.
She is 25 now, raised as a Joho.
She still goes on about being a christian, but she is no longer homophobic, and she visits often to ask questions about the world and is questioning her belief. Her partner of 4 years is an atheist as are all her friends, though her workmates are christian as of course is her family. Her father is a preacher or something.

I've been debating believers online since I got my first Internet account in 1999. I have encountered many who, if they were not interested in my viewpoint, were able to flawlessly fake it. You might keep in mind that many of us atheists used to be believers, and for most of us the only reason we stopped believing is that we were able to pay sincere attention to opposing viewpoints.

No all they want to do is convince you that their skydaddy is real.

No. I've met many who pretend to be interested in my views on religion while hoping they can somehow put the spirit if Jesus in me. Some have been almost convincing, almost. You're right about the agnostic/atheist point. An agnostic might somehow be saved or turned, but atheists are lost, from their viewpoint. I think also that some agnostics prefer to call themselves that because atheist seems too 'extreme'. I've come to learn that big arguments with believers is mostly a waste of time. If a believer renounces it's usually for a complex range of personal, experiential or internal reasons, not because a moment of insight from an atheist. In debate believers get defensive and the mind shutters go up. It's a human reaction when we want to believe something no matter what. It can happen to all of us on something; for a believer it's religion.

Most evangelicals I've met misunderstand agnosticism as an "I'm not sure" uncertainty that sounds to believers more like active interest and openness to their beliefs. By contrast, they misunderstand atheism as hatred of god and god followers, rebellion, possibly Satan-worship, baby-eating, etc., and therefore as much more a personal affront.

The irony is that I identify as an agnostic atheist so I could go either way. With most active theists who aren't total asshats, I would probably avoid the atheist point of view. I would talk about how there's no way to intersubjetively know that god does OR does not exist, because god is both poorly-defined and not examinable. Not about how I have personally rejected belief in god. Let them think I'm waffling if it makes them more comfortable.

No

When I tell people that I am an Existentialist then suddenly the have a rather confused look on thier faces.

I Never tell religious people that i am a non believer .I see no point in doing so for the reasons you mentioned

They have been washed into, the religious way is the only way with no inclusion for people that have different ideas. They think they are going to "save you" if that is not idiotic enough.

I've not yet encountered a single open-minded white evangelical Christian. My United Methodist and Lutheran friends are liberal, and act like agnostics.

I think some of it is out of fear...like you are a devil worshiper. I have one devout believer who has engaged in genuine curiosity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.